Old 05-13-2011, 08:00 AM
Magicloud Magiclouds

Default Why my xorg started into framebuffer mode?

Hi,
I'd like to try out gnome3. So I had a laptop for a installation of
debian testing.
Then I installed xorg from testing branch. With '# startx', I had
the xterm window. But when I exited, the console turned into
framebuffer mode. /proc/fb shows interdrmfb.
What happened? Did the stage with xterm also run in framebuffer mode?
--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Old 05-13-2011, 05:26 PM
Camalen

On Fri, 13 May 2011 16:00:45 +0800, Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:

> I'd like to try out gnome3.

Good luck :-P

> So I had a laptop for a installation of
> debian testing.
> Then I installed xorg from testing branch. With '# startx', I had
> the xterm window. But when I exited, the console turned into framebuffer
> mode. /proc/fb shows interdrmfb.
> What happened? Did the stage with xterm also run in framebuffer mode?

Xorg log could provide additional info on what's going on (look at "/var/
log/Xorg.0.log").

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 05-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Virgo Prna

On Fri, 13 May 2011 16:00:45 +0800, Magicloud Magiclouds <magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
> Then I installed xorg from testing branch. With '# startx', I had
> the xterm window. But when I exited, the console turned into
> framebuffer mode. /proc/fb shows interdrmfb.
> What happened? Did the stage with xterm also run in framebuffer mode?

My guess would be, that videocard kernel drivers where not loaded at startup, but
they were loaded when X started. And after that console has same display resolution as X.
I think that kms is the term. Atr least it sounds like it.

--
Virgo Prna
virgo.parna@mail.ee