Old 05-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Michael Selinger

Default Download onto CD failed to burn

Hello,

* I'm interested in trying out Debian's OS.* I downloaded from your website, which
took a half hour even with a high speed cable connection.* I then sent it on to my
E-drive, to burn it onto a disc.* After 17 mins., I forced a shutdown...log message
"Burn failed."* I'm at a loss.* Never had a problem burning a cd or dvd on this unit.

Any suggestions?* I would like to get away from relying on Windows, and try your
OS, as I heard it was superior.

Thanks,
Mike Selinger

Old 05-13-2011, 01:14 AM
"Chris"

Make sure you are burning as an iso image and not just burning the actual file to the media
Sent from my BlackBerry®

Old 05-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Klistvud

Make sure you are burning as an iso image and not just burning the
actual file to the media

Sent from my BlackBerry®

* I'm interested in trying out Debian's OS.* I downloaded from your
website, which
took a half hour even with a high speed cable connection.* I then
sent it on to my
E-drive, to burn it onto a disc.* After 17 mins., I forced a
shutdown...log message
"Burn failed."* I'm at a loss.* Never had a problem burning a cd or
dvd on this unit.

Any suggestions?* I would like to get away from relying on Windows,
and try your

OS, as I heard it was superior.

Wellcome to the free world.

In addition to what Chris suggested, perhaps you have a corrupted
download? If that is the case, try downloading a smaller version of
Debian (I suggest the "netinst" CD iso), it will install just as well
as the largest DVDs.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:45 PM
godo

I'm interested in trying out Debian's OS. I downloaded from your
website, which
took a half hour even with a high speed cable connection. I then sent it
on to my
E-drive, to burn it onto a disc. After 17 mins., I forced a
shutdown...log message
"Burn failed." I'm at a loss. Never had a problem burning a cd or dvd on
this unit.

Any suggestions? I would like to get away from relying on Windows, and
try your
OS, as I heard it was superior.

Thanks,
Mike Selinger

Hi,
it looks like problem with burning tool or OS.
Try InfraRecord http://infrarecorder.org/
Last few days I burned wit him 2 .iso and everything was OK.
When you download any .iso first check md5sum to see is it downloaded
correctly, then burn it like image on lowest speed.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

Archive: 4DCD35F6.9030705@dobosevic.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DCD35F6.9030705@dobosevic.com

Old 05-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20110513_154337, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 13. 05. 2011 03:14:28 je Chris napisal(a):
> >Make sure you are burning as an iso image and not just burning the
> >actual file to the media
> >Sent from my BlackBerry®

Even smaller than netinst, is the businesscard CD image. It is under
50MB long. It also is worth saving because it will continue to
download and install the most recent version even after future updates
of Squeeze make the current version of netinst obsolete. But for both,
I really hopw OP has an internet connection that is not >>56kB/s.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 05-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Brian

On Fri 13 May 2011 at 08:26:07 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> Even smaller than netinst, is the businesscard CD image. It is under
> 50MB long. It also is worth saving because it will continue to
> download and install the most recent version even after future updates
> of Squeeze make the current version of netinst obsolete. But for both,
> I really hopw OP has an internet connection that is not >>56kB/s.

The businesscard CD is for wimps . The mini.iso weighs in at less than
20 MB.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:53 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 12 May 2011 17:29:58 -0700, Michael Selinger wrote:

> * I'm interested in trying out Debian's OS.* I downloaded from your
> * website, which
> took a half hour even with a high speed cable connection.* I then sent
> it on to my E-drive, to burn it onto a disc.* After 17 mins., I forced a
> shutdown...log message "Burn failed."* I'm at a loss.* Never had a
> problem burning a cd or dvd on this unit.

Once you downloaded the ISO file, did you check the md5sum?

>From what OS and what burning program? "Burn failed" is a very generic
message, but seems to come from the burning app.

> Any suggestions?* I would like to get away from relying on Windows, and
> try your OS, as I heard it was superior.

Yep, you can use CD-RW/DVD-RW (or even an USB flash drive) as the
installation source media, I mean, just in case something goes wrong to
avoid having a pile of useless CDs ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Paul E Condon

On 20110513_171551, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 13 May 2011 at 08:26:07 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> > Even smaller than netinst, is the businesscard CD image. It is under
> > 50MB long. It also is worth saving because it will continue to
> > download and install the most recent version even after future updates
> > of Squeeze make the current version of netinst obsolete. But for both,
> > I really hopw OP has an internet connection that is not >>56kB/s.
>
> The businesscard CD is for wimps . The mini.iso weighs in at less than
> 20 MB.

I guess I'm a wimp. I can't find 'mini.iso' when I google 'mini.iso debian'.
What is a URL that will lead me to it?
Plenty of talk about it, but no explicit statement as to where to get it
that I can see. Plenty of comments that it has been there but now is gone.
Talk is cheap, and wimps are plentiful.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 05-13-2011, 05:13 PM
Brian

On Fri 13 May 2011 at 10:56:59 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> I guess I'm a wimp. I can't find 'mini.iso' when I google 'mini.iso debian'.
> What is a URL that will lead me to it?

One place:

http://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/i386/daily/

Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Jimmy Johnson

Michael Selinger wrote:

Hello,

I'm interested in trying out Debian's OS. I downloaded from your
website, which
took a half hour even with a high speed cable connection. I then sent
it on to my
E-drive, to burn it onto a disc. After 17 mins., I forced a
shutdown...log message
"Burn failed." I'm at a loss. Never had a problem burning a cd or dvd
on this unit.

Any suggestions? I would like to get away from relying on Windows, and
try your

OS, as I heard it was superior.

Thanks,
Mike Selinger

Debian has a Windows installer, you can read about it here:
http://www.goodbye-windows.com/ or go straight to the installer page and
get the install started: http://goodbye-microsoft.com/

It will be easier to make a Linux partition and swap partition ahead of
time before the install than worry about it while doing the install,
just make a "GParted" http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php cd or
put it on a flash-drive using "unetbootin"
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

If you are a totally new Linux user (Newbie) you may want to start with
SimplyMEPIS-11.0 http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=06664 based on Debian
stable and comes with lots of important new user help and an easier way
to get started using Debian.

--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Sid - AMD64 - EXT4 - KDE 4.5.3 at sda14
Registered Linux User #380263