Old 05-12-2011, 05:05 PM
Damu R

Default Unable to set Intel wireless card to master mode

Hi,
I am having a HP EliteBook 6930p laptop with Intel Ultimate* N WiFi Link 5300. Though the card supports master mode I am not able to set it to run in master mode. Is there anyway I can enable this mode?

$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 mode master

Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
*** SET failed on device wlan0 ; Invalid argument.

$ sudo /usr/sbin/hostapd ~/hostapd.conf
Configuration file: /home/damu/hostapd.conf
Could not set interface wlan0 flags: Input/output error

nl80211 driver initialization failed.
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=4 eloop_data=0x9382a78 user_data=0x9382fe8 handler=0x807b9f0
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=6 eloop_data=0x9384bb8 user_data=(nil) handler=0x8085990

The description of the device from lshw and iw are given below.

lshw description:
* *-network
****** product: Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300
****** vendor: Intel Corporation

****** physical id: 0
****** bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
****** logical name: wlan0
****** version: 00
****** serial: 00:21:6a:6d:f6:c4
****** width: 64 bits
****** clock: 33MHz
****** capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless

****** configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlagn driverversion=2.6.38-2-686 firmware=8.83.5.1 build 33692 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
****** resources: irq:46 memory:d8600000-d8601fff

The supported modes from iw output:
*** Supported interface modes:
*** *** ** IBSS
*** *** ** managed
*** *** ** AP
*** *** ** AP/VLAN
*** *** ** monitor

Thanks
Damu

Old 05-13-2011, 06:32 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 12 May 2011 22:35:39 +0530, Damu R wrote:

> I am having a HP EliteBook 6930p laptop with Intel Ultimate N WiFi Link
> 5300. Though the card supports master mode I am not able to set it to
> run in master mode. Is there anyway I can enable this mode?

(...)

Which driver/module are you using?

I remember a thread on this same list about a similar issue. IIRC,
finally it turned out that the driver did not provide the "master mode"
capability at all, so I would check that.

Driver capabilities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_wireless_drivers#Driver_ capabilities

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Damodharan R

>> I am having a HP EliteBook 6930p laptop with Intel Ultimate *N WiFi Link

>> 5300. Though the card supports master mode I am not able to set it to

>> run in master mode. Is there anyway I can enable this mode?

>(...)

>Which driver/module are you using?

I am using iwlagn driver.* As per the wikipedia entry it does not support the master mode

Thanks for the info Camaleón

Regards
Damu