Old 05-12-2011, 03:38 PM
Charles Blair

Default access to non-free from aptitude (continued)?

[Sorry, I'm using claws-mail and it doesn't seem to let
me post follow-ups]

Thanks to everyone for the prompt responses, but I still have
a problem. My /etc/apt/sources.list includes

> deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

I tried typing "aptitude update". Part of the output:

> Ign http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Translation-en_US
> Ign http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
> Hit http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Packages

However, when I start aptitude, click on "not installed
packages," then on "editors," the only thing I see is main.

Is there an aptitude tutorial someplace? I suspect there
are a lot of basic things I don't know.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Axel Freyn

Hi Charles,
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:38:10AM -0500, Charles Blair wrote:
> [Sorry, I'm using claws-mail and it doesn't seem to let
> me post follow-ups]
>
> Thanks to everyone for the prompt responses, but I still have
> a problem. My /etc/apt/sources.list includes
>
> > deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
>
> I tried typing "aptitude update". Part of the output:
>
> > Ign http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Translation-en_US
> > Ign http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
> > Hit http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Packages
>
> However, when I start aptitude, click on "not installed
> packages," then on "editors," the only thing I see is main.
Just to be sure: You are using lenny, and not squeeze ? :-)

And another remark: Whenever there appear NEW packages, aptitude will
show them in a special section (not "not installed packages", but "new
packages"). As you added the "non-free" repository, all packages from
non-free are now seen as "new" -- and should appear there (and NOT in
the section "not installed packages", where you looked :-)))

If I'm right (and they are in "new" right now), the following should
work:
If you execute "aptitude search emacs22-common", aptitude should find
both "emacs22-common" and "emacs22-common-non-dfsg".
and
aptitude install emacs22-common-non-dfsg
should install it.

You can use "aptitude forget-new" to transfer all those "new" packages
into the "not installed"-section. Alternatively, you can do the same in
aptitude : Actions -> Forget new packages"

> Is there an aptitude tutorial someplace? I suspect there
> are a lot of basic things I don't know.

You could try:

http://wiki.debian.org/Aptitude
which also refers to the apt-documentation
http://wiki.debian.org/Apt
and the "full" package-management documentation
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html

HTH,

Axel

Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 PM
Heddle Weaver

On 13 May 2011 01:38, Charles Blair <c-blair@illinois.edu> wrote:

* [Sorry, I'm using claws-mail and it doesn't seem to let

me post follow-ups]

* * *Thanks to everyone for the prompt responses, but I still have

a problem. *My /etc/apt/sources.list includes

> deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

* I tried typing "aptitude update". *Part of the output:

> Ign http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Translation-en_US

> Ign http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Packages/DiffIndex

> Hit http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Packages

* However, when I start aptitude, click on "not installed

packages," then on "editors," the only thing I see is main.

* Is there an aptitude tutorial someplace? *I suspect there

are a lot of basic things I don't know.

There's a package in the repositories (in main) called aptitude-doc-en, I think from memory.
You could check that be searching through the ncurses aptitude interface.

Regards,

Weaver. --

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Arno Schuring

Charles Blair (c-blair@illinois.edu on 2011-05-12 10:38 -0500):
> [Sorry, I'm using claws-mail and it doesn't seem to let
> me post follow-ups]
Are you sure? I'm using claws-mail (granted, from Wheezy, so newer than
your version) and am writing this message with "Reply to list (Ctrl+L)"

[..]
> I tried typing "aptitude update". Part of the output:
>
> > Ign http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Translation-en_US
> > Ign http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Packages/DiffIndex
> > Hit http://debian.uchicago.edu lenny/non-free Packages
>
> However, when I start aptitude, click on "not installed
> packages," then on "editors," the only thing I see is main.
can you type in a terminal:
$ apt-cache policy emacs21-common-non-dfsg
and post the output?

Regards,
Arno

Old 05-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Jo, 12 mai 11, 18:50:33, Axel Freyn wrote:

[...]

> And another remark: Whenever there appear NEW packages, aptitude will
> show them in a special section (not "not installed packages", but "new
> packages"). As you added the "non-free" repository, all packages from
> non-free are now seen as "new" -- and should appear there (and NOT in
> the section "not installed packages", where you looked :-)))
> You can use "aptitude forget-new" to transfer all those "new" packages
> into the "not installed"-section. Alternatively, you can do the same in
> aptitude : Actions -> Forget new packages"

A package can and will show up in more than one category in aptitude.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Axel Freyn

Hi Andrei,
On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 02:03:22PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Jo, 12 mai 11, 18:50:33, Axel Freyn wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > And another remark: Whenever there appear NEW packages, aptitude will
> > show them in a special section (not "not installed packages", but "new
> > packages"). As you added the "non-free" repository, all packages from
> > non-free are now seen as "new" -- and should appear there (and NOT in
> > the section "not installed packages", where you looked :-)))
> > You can use "aptitude forget-new" to transfer all those "new" packages
> > into the "not installed"-section. Alternatively, you can do the same in
> > aptitude : Actions -> Forget new packages"
>
> A package can and will show up in more than one category in aptitude.
not on my aptitude :-)

I tried the following (on squeeze):
- adding "deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib
non-free" to sources.list, run "aptitude update"
- start aptitude, search for emacs22-common-non-dfsg:
it appears in "New Packages -> editors -> non-free", but NOT in "Not
installed Packages -> editors -> non-free"

Maybe it can be configured somewhere in aptitude, or it's a new property
in aptitude squeeze? However, I have no lenny at hand to check...

Regards,

Axel

Old 05-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 14 mai 11, 14:33:56, Axel Freyn wrote:

> > A package can and will show up in more than one category in aptitude.
> not on my aptitude :-)

Sorry, I should have checked before.

For some reason a while ago I came to the conclusion that one package
can show up in more than one category, but it now turns out to be false.

Regards,
Andrei