Old 05-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Charles Blair

Default Access to non-free from aptitude?

Somewhere I read that this should be done by modifying
the /etc/apt/sources.list file. I tried changing this to:

> deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny main
> deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny non-free

but I'm still only seeing the stuff in main.

The thing I'm looking for at the moment is the info pages
for emacs.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 AM
Alex Mestiashvili

deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

Archive: 4DCBC8AC.9040803@biotec.tu-dresden.de">http://lists.debian.org/4DCBC8AC.9040803@biotec.tu-dresden.de

Old 05-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Axel Freyn

Hi Charles,
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 06:25:53AM -0500, Charles Blair wrote:
> Somewhere I read that this should be done by modifying
> the /etc/apt/sources.list file. I tried changing this to:
>
> > deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny main
> > deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny non-free
>
> but I'm still only seeing the stuff in main.
>
> The thing I'm looking for at the moment is the info pages
> for emacs.
Did you run a "aptitude update" after the change, in order to ask
aptitude to reload the lists? If not, you can't see the non-free stuff..

Axel

Old 05-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Matt Harrison

On 5/12/11, Charles Blair <c-blair@illinois.edu> wrote:
> Somewhere I read that this should be done by modifying
> the /etc/apt/sources.list file. I tried changing this to:
>
>> deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny main
>> deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny non-free
>
> but I'm still only seeing the stuff in main.
>
> The thing I'm looking for at the moment is the info pages
> for emacs.
>

> --

Not sure if this will help or not, but have you tried putting it all
in the same line:

> deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny main non-free

then make sure to:
> aptitude update

after you make the changes

Old 05-12-2011, 12:24 PM
Heddle Weaver

On 12 May 2011 21:25, Charles Blair <c-blair@illinois.edu> wrote:

* Somewhere I read that this should be done by modifying

the /etc/apt/sources.list file. *I tried changing this to:

> deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny main

> deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny non-free

Hello Charles,

You can do all this on the one line, as in:

deb http://debian.uchicago.edu/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free

Then do:
Update
Safe-upgrade

You will have to ensure that you have saved the changes after editing the file, also, otherwise it will simply revert to it's former state, which is what sounds like is happening.

*

* but I'm still only seeing the stuff in main.

* The thing I'm looking for at the moment is the info pages

for emacs.

I don't know about this as I'm one of the lucky ones that uses Vim, but I should suspect that those should be in main anyway?
Regards,

Weaver.

by the wise as false,
and by the rulers as useful.

— Lucius Annæus Seneca.

Terrorism, the new religion.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Tom Furie

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 10:24:15PM +1000, Heddle Weaver wrote:
> I don't know about this as I'm one of the lucky ones that uses Vim, but I
> should suspect that those should be in main anyway?
> Regards,

You would think so, but due to invariant sections in the documentation
they're stuck in non-free.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Genius is the talent of a person who is dead.