Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 AM
"Eccles, David"

Default Boot problem after crashed update

From: Simon Hoerder [mailto:simon@hoerder.net]
> 1) This morning, I did the same (what the package manager calls a "safe"
> update, no packages where removed or installed) but in between the
> update crashed the system.
> udevd[58]: error: runtime directory '/run/udev' not writable, for now
> falling back to '/dev/.udev'
> run-init: /sbin/init: No such file or directory
> [ 4.515687] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

This sounds very similar to the problem I've had. Not quite sure how I should
be reporting it, but here's my attempt at a bug report:

David Eccles (gringer)

Old 05-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Simon Hoerder

From: Simon Hoerder [mailto:simon@hoerder.net]

1) This morning, I did the same (what the package manager calls a "safe"
update, no packages where removed or installed) but in between the
update crashed the system.
udevd[58]: error: runtime directory '/run/udev' not writable, for now
falling back to '/dev/.udev'

run-init: /sbin/init: No such file or directory
[ 4.515687] Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

This sounds very similar to the problem I've had. Not quite sure how I should
be reporting it, but here's my attempt at a bug report:

David Eccles (gringer)

Hi David,

seems you upgraded libc to 2.13-3 as Sven just pointed out (
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=626450). :-) At least
you got the output from the update - my screensaver had turned on but
couldn't be turned off anymore so I didn't see anything except the
little bit I reported.

Cheers, Simon

--
/***
* Dipl. Ing. Simon Hoerder

Archive: 4DCBC66C.8020002@hoerder.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DCBC66C.8020002@hoerder.net

Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Simon Hoerder

Sorry, meant to send it to the list, not just to Jochen.

Jochen Schulz wrote:
>> I made a fresh install of debian squeeze just after its release and
>> dutifully installed the updates suggested by the package manager
>> whenever necessary.
>
> What's the content of your sources.list?

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze contrib non-free main
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze non-free contrib main
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ squeeze non-free contrib main
#Added by software-properties

deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
deb-src ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ squeeze main contrib non-free
#Added by software-properties

deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ squeeze-updates main contrib
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main non-free
deb file:/backup/Debian/DVD_1/ squeeze contrib main
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates contrib non-free main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates contrib non-free main
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid main contrib
deb http://deb.opera.com/opera squeeze non-free

>> 2) The only thing that worked was switching between x (ctrl+alt+f7) and
>> the terminal (ctrl+alt+f1) but I couldn't log in to the terminal;
>> instead I got some error messages about init (or initsomething -
>> unfortunately I do not remember anymore) spawning to much and
>> something (it wasn't being clear what) being delayed/suppressed for 5
>> minutes.
>
> The exact error message might have helped in identifying the issue.

I know. :-( Kicking my buttocks already for assuming "oh it'll be ok"
and switching off.

>> 4) When I booted the laptop at work, it crashed soon after grub, the
>> rror message being:
>>
>> udevd[58]: error: runtime directory '/run/udev' not writable, for
>> now falling back to '/dev/.udev'
>
> That looks like you are actually running testing or unstable. A similar
> issue has hit my sid machein recently. Descriptions of the problem and
> solutions have been discussed here.

I tried not to use unstable but having switched from SuSE recently I
must have failed at that. I noticed that the package manager suggested
some unstable packages to me when it insisted on removing the
proprietary NVidia drivers and replace it with an unstable open solution
but I avoided that by performing only the "safe" updates. (The
propietary worked a lot better than the open one.)
I never figured out how those unstable packages got into the package
manager in the first place as I didn't see unstable being listed in
sources.list.

>> run-init: /sbin/init: No such file or directory
>
> Ouch. Can you confirm that /sbin/init still exists on your root
> filesystem? You mentioned that you have another distro on the same
> machine, so you can use that to inspect the filesystem. I'd do an fsck,
> too.

Yes. I checked it with the other distro and the rescue system shell
before writing my mail.

>> 7) I then tried to run the rescue system from the debian installation
>> dvd:
>> - Executing a shell in /dev/sda3 (my root) fails without any
>> meaningful error message.
>
> If it doesn't mean anything to you, it still may mean something to us.
>

> J.

It says exactly nothing. It just returns to the previous selection
screen. The following

>> - reinstalling grub into the MBR fails without any meaningful error
>> message.
says at least:
"Executing 'grub-install (hd0)' failed.
This is a fatal error."
--> Continue
"The rescue operation 'grub-reinstall' failed with exit code 1."
(Nothing else.)

Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2011-05-12 12:53 +0200, Jochen Schulz wrote:
[...]
> I suspect that Simon has upgraded libc6 to 2.13-3 and got hit by bug
> #626450¹ (sometimes unstable actually deserves its name…).
>
> Sven
>

> ¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=626450

I have libc-2.13.so in '/lib'.
A) How can I check whether I accidentially updated to 2.13-3 from the
rescue system or the other distro?
Assuming Sven is correct:
B) Am I correct that the easiest way to return to a stable installation
is a reinstall?
C) How can I prevent getting unstable packages into my system in the
future? Is there a configuration option or so? (Basically I have no
interest in using unstable software.)

Thanks, Simon
--
/***

Archive: 4DCBC9F9.7010409@hoerder.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DCBC9F9.7010409@hoerder.net

Old 05-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Jochen Schulz

Simon Hoerder:

> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian sid main contrib

That line points to unstable, aka "sid". Sid is the permanent alias for
the unstable distribution, unlike the rolling aliases for testing and
stable.

> Assuming Sven is correct:
> B) Am I correct that the easiest way to return to a stable installation
> is a reinstall?

Since you still have a bootable operating system, you may try the hint
at <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=626450#36>.

> C) How can I prevent getting unstable packages into my system in the
> future?

Don't add sid to your sources.list. And if you do: use pinning or set
your default distribution in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90local (man apt.conf,
Default-Release).

J.
--
I enjoy shopping, eating, sex and doing jigsaw puzzles of idealised
landscapes.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Simon Hoerder

Jochen Schulz wrote:
[...]

Since you still have a bootable operating system, you may try the hint
at <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=626450#36>.

After taking a second look at Sven's link after lunch I discovered
similar hints there as well. These hints helped to some degree - now the
boot works again but when the xserver starts something breaks (probably
related to the propietary NVidia driver).

C) How can I prevent getting unstable packages into my system in the
future?

Don't add sid to your sources.list. And if you do: use pinning or set
your default distribution in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90local (man apt.conf,
Default-Release).

J.

That's good to know, thanks. :-)

Is there an easy way to remove all unstable packages? Otherwise I don't
worry too much about the xserver issue and reinstall.

Many thanks for the help.

--
/***

Archive: 4DCBD999.70101@hoerder.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DCBD999.70101@hoerder.net

Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Jochen Schulz

Simon Hoerder:

> Is there an easy way to remove all unstable packages?

No, at least no easy way I could come up with. You could use aptitude
search to identify installed packages from unstable, remove them and
reinstall them from squeeze. But since you apparently already have libc
from unstable, that won't work. You could also try to forcibly
downgrade these packages to their squeeze version, but that's
unsupported and will probably result in quite a mess.

Reinstalling is your safest bet.

J.
--
I am getting worse rather than better.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Jochen Schulz

Simon Hoerder:

Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Javier Barroso

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> Simon Hoerder:
>>
>> Is there an easy way to remove all unstable packages?
>
> No, at least no easy way I could come up with. You could use aptitude
> search to identify installed packages from unstable, remove them and
> reinstall them from squeeze. But since you apparently already have libc
> from unstable, that won't work. *You could also try to forcibly
> downgrade these packages to their squeeze version, but that's
> unsupported and will probably result in quite a mess.
>
> Reinstalling is your safest bet.
Well, I would try to not reinstall my system.

Think all your sid packages in your computer will be some day packages
in testing (or newer versions of these packages will enter in
testing). Maybe there are some of these packages which won't be in
testing by debian policy issues.

So, why not, simply wait one month without upgrading, remove sid from
your sources.list (and keep only wheezy), and then aptitude update;
aptitude safe-upgrade; aptitude full-upgrade ?

Playing with aptitude / apt-cache you could know how many time you
have to wait to do that upgrade.

Other possible solution would be pinning all packages from sid to
their current version (upgrading glibc with the bug, of course), and
removing sid from sources.list, and again wait, but this time you
could upgrade your system. But I'm not sure if you can have a package
pinned when the version is not in your repositories from sources.list
(Can anyone clarify this ?)

These technique only applies on periods where stable is recently released

Old 05-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Jochen Schulz

Javier Barroso:

> So, why not, simply wait one month without upgrading, remove sid from
> your sources.list (and keep only wheezy), and then aptitude update;
> aptitude safe-upgrade; aptitude full-upgrade ?

Because the OP would still run some kind of more or less mixed
wheezy/sid system even though he wants to run stable.

BTW, thanks for this thread! I carelessly upgraded my sid system this
morning without even noticing that it completely b0rked my system.
Luckily, I had a flash drive with d-i handy and my system was up and
running in a few minutes again.

J.
--
I think the environment will be okay.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

12/05/2011 14:59, Simon Hoerder wrote:
> Jochen Schulz wrote:
> [...]
>> Since you still have a bootable operating system, you may try the hint
>> at <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=626450#36>.
>
> After taking a second look at Sven's link after lunch I discovered
> similar hints there as well. These hints helped to some degree - now the
> boot works again but when the xserver starts something breaks (probably
> related to the propietary NVidia driver).
>
>>> C) How can I prevent getting unstable packages into my system in the
>>> future?
>>
>> Don't add sid to your sources.list. And if you do: use pinning or set
>> your default distribution in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/90local (man apt.conf,
>> Default-Release).
>>
>> J.
>
> That's good to know, thanks. :-)
>
> Is there an easy way to remove all unstable packages? Otherwise I don't
> worry too much about the xserver issue and reinstall.
>
> Many thanks for the help.

If you want to ix the installed system, after recreating the links
/lib64 --> /lib and /usr/lib64 --> /usr/lib (from live-cd or in
initramfs), reboot in single mode and run:

dpkg --configure -a

because your libc6 and associated packages are stuck halfway in their
installation process. Then reboot and you should be fine.

Finally update, fixed packages are available.

If you don't have too many packages from unstable, you can try
downgrading some, I would use aptitude for that. Then use pinning to
cherry pick what you want.