Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 AM
shawn wilson

Default Fwd: dpkg died.

grrr, for the list

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, May 12, 2011 at 3:52 AM
Subject: Re: dpkg died.
To: Magicloud Magiclouds <magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com>

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 3:41 AM, Magicloud Magiclouds
<magicloud.magiclouds@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> *Today I installed a third party .dpkg file, which failed due to
> unmet dependencies.
> *Then I tried to remove it, or install the dependencies by aptitude.
> Well, dpkg database seemed to be interrupted.
> *For example, when I tried to remove, I got:
>
> dpkg: error processing navalplan (--remove):
> *Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
> *reinstall it before attempting a removal.
> configured to not write apport reports
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Errors were encountered while processing:
> *navalplan
> A package failed to install. *Trying to recover:
>
> *How to resolve this?

i would go through this:
apt-get -f install (might fail)
dpkg --force-all --purge <package>

then, see if things get right:
apt-get -f install (should succeed)
apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade

... should be in a clean and fully up to date state