FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-12-2011, 12:07 AM
"Juan R. de Silva"
 
Default Installing K3b installs HAL. Should I do it?

On Wed, 11 May 2011 20:45:12 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently switched from Lucid to Squeeze on my workstation. So, far
> I'm quite happy with the move but I'm still on a learning curve.
>
> Back in Ubuntu I used to use K3b in GNOME since I definitely prefer it
> to Brasero. Yesterday I tried to installed K3b in Squeeze and I noticed
> that HAL would be installed with it as a dependency. Since I was not
> sure on HAL I cancelled the installation until clarification.
>
> I'm not familiar in depth neither with udev nor HAL. But AFAIK HAL was
> deprecated and part of its functionality now is build into udev.
>
> What would be the consequences of HAL being installed on my fresh
> squeeze system, if any? Would HAL conflict with udev in any way?
> Wouldn't installation of HAL degrade my fresh squeeze install?

Installed. So far no problems. :-)

And BTW, why good old gnomebaker is not in squeeze repositories? Where
could I find it and would it work in squeeze?

Thanks.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: iqf8c8$jfr$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/iqf8c8$jfr$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 05-12-2011, 02:28 AM
"Juan R. de Silva"
 
Default Installing K3b installs HAL. Should I do it?

On Wed, 11 May 2011 20:45:12 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've recently switched from Lucid to Squeeze on my workstation. So, far
> I'm quite happy with the move but I'm still on a learning curve.
>
> Back in Ubuntu I used to use K3b in GNOME since I definitely prefer it
> to Brasero. Yesterday I tried to installed K3b in Squeeze and I noticed
> that HAL would be installed with it as a dependency. Since I was not
> sure on HAL I cancelled the installation until clarification.
>
> I'm not familiar in depth neither with udev nor HAL. But AFAIK HAL was
> deprecated and part of its functionality now is build into udev.
>
> What would be the consequences of HAL being installed on my fresh
> squeeze system, if any? Would HAL conflict with udev in any way?
> Wouldn't installation of HAL degrade my fresh squeeze install?

Well, after making such a brave report about HAL on squeeze, I found that
the reality is not so bright.

You see, I'm having here a problem with Clamav and, after installing K3b
with HALL, I switched to deal with it. The problem with Clamav has
nothing to do with our discussion here, and I'll make another post about
it.

But here what I found directly related to the introduction of HAL into
squeeze.

If you install Clamav after HAL was installed, a file /var/run/clamav/
freshclam.pid is created with root:haldaemon groupwner permissions and
the following error is generated after installation: "ERROR: Can't save
PID to file /var/run/clamav/freshclam.pid: Permission denied"

But if you install Clamav on a fresh squeeze without HAL installed, the
ownership of the same file is root:clamav instead, and Clamav does
produce this error.

While the problem is really a small one, one can always change the owner
of the file, it shows that presence of HAL in the system might
potentially be root of unpredictable problems since some apps are
confused by its presence. And I can imagine that in some instances to
find the problem of the kind could be quite time consuming.

So, I'm not sure yet, but at least for now I probably would prefer to
live without K3b. It's a pity though. It's a best burning app over there.
I hope K3b developers would remove this dependency soon.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: iqfgkb$fan$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/iqfgkb$fan$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 05-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Camaleón
 
Default Installing K3b installs HAL. Should I do it?

On Thu, 12 May 2011 00:07:36 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> Installed. So far no problems. :-)

Good.

> And BTW, why good old gnomebaker is not in squeeze repositories? Where
> could I find it and would it work in squeeze?

Gnomebaker has been "deprecated" upstream in favour of Brasero, AFAICT.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.05.12.10.10.09@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.05.12.10.10.09@gmail.com
 
Old 05-12-2011, 10:20 AM
Camaleón
 
Default Installing K3b installs HAL. Should I do it?

On Thu, 12 May 2011 02:28:27 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

> If you install Clamav after HAL was installed, a file /var/run/clamav/
> freshclam.pid is created with root:haldaemon groupwner permissions and
> the following error is generated after installation: "ERROR: Can't save
> PID to file /var/run/clamav/freshclam.pid: Permission denied"
>
> But if you install Clamav on a fresh squeeze without HAL installed, the
> ownership of the same file is root:clamav instead, and Clamav does
> produce this error.

Report it.

HAL is still being installed so this can affect other people.

> While the problem is really a small one, one can always change the owner
> of the file, it shows that presence of HAL in the system might
> potentially be root of unpredictable problems since some apps are
> confused by its presence. And I can imagine that in some instances to
> find the problem of the kind could be quite time consuming.

That sounds a bit apocalyptic :-)

I don't think so because in the end you can have problems with every
single package installed on the system conflicting with specific parts of
your setup.

> So, I'm not sure yet, but at least for now I probably would prefer to
> live without K3b. It's a pity though. It's a best burning app over
> there. I hope K3b developers would remove this dependency soon.

Again, HAL is being pulled as a hard requirement by many others packages,
it's not K3B the only one that depends on it (for instance, "xfburn" also
requires "hal").

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.05.12.10.20.48@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.05.12.10.20.48@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:00 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org