Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
"Juan R. de Silva"

Default Installing K3b installs HAL. Should I do it?

Hi,

I've recently switched from Lucid to Squeeze on my workstation. So, far
I'm quite happy with the move but I'm still on a learning curve.

Back in Ubuntu I used to use K3b in GNOME since I definitely prefer it to
Brasero. Yesterday I tried to installed K3b in Squeeze and I noticed that
HAL would be installed with it as a dependency. Since I was not sure on
HAL I cancelled the installation until clarification.

I'm not familiar in depth neither with udev nor HAL. But AFAIK HAL was
deprecated and part of its functionality now is build into udev.

What would be the consequences of HAL being installed on my fresh squeeze
system, if any? Would HAL conflict with udev in any way? Wouldn't
installation of HAL degrade my fresh squeeze install?

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 PM
Steven

On Wed, 2011-05-11 at 20:45 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently switched from Lucid to Squeeze on my workstation. So, far
> I'm quite happy with the move but I'm still on a learning curve.
>
> Back in Ubuntu I used to use K3b in GNOME since I definitely prefer it to
> Brasero. Yesterday I tried to installed K3b in Squeeze and I noticed that
> HAL would be installed with it as a dependency. Since I was not sure on
> HAL I cancelled the installation until clarification.
>
> I'm not familiar in depth neither with udev nor HAL. But AFAIK HAL was
> deprecated and part of its functionality now is build into udev.
>
> What would be the consequences of HAL being installed on my fresh squeeze
> system, if any? Would HAL conflict with udev in any way? Wouldn't
> installation of HAL degrade my fresh squeeze install?
>
> Thanks.

As far as I can see, K3B (still) requires HAL, it's not a direct
dependency in Wheezy (like it is in squeeze), but I had removed HAL,
that caused K3B not to see my optical drives (I just burned an image not
15 minutes ago), I had to install HAL again to get it to work.

It doesn't appear to conflict with udev in any way so your pretty safe
there.

So, yes, hal is required (certainly in sqeeze) for k3b to function
properly.

Kind regards,
Steven

Old 05-11-2011, 09:15 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 11 May 2011 20:45:12 +0000, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

(...)
> Back in Ubuntu I used to use K3b in GNOME since I definitely prefer it
> to Brasero. Yesterday I tried to installed K3b in Squeeze and I noticed
> that HAL would be installed with it as a dependency. Since I was not
> sure on HAL I cancelled the installation until clarification.
>
> I'm not familiar in depth neither with udev nor HAL. But AFAIK HAL was
> deprecated and part of its functionality now is build into udev.
>
> What would be the consequences of HAL being installed on my fresh
> squeeze system, if any? Would HAL conflict with udev in any way?
> Wouldn't installation of HAL degrade my fresh squeeze install?

"Hal" is indeed listed as a "hard" dependency for K3B in Squeeze:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/k3b

You will need to install it and don't worry about it, it should not
generate any conflict with other packages (and if yes, open a bug
report :-P).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón