-   -   Problem with Konquerer on one site (Solution for firefox FIX!!) (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/525066-problem-konquerer-one-site-solution-firefox-fix.html)

Wayne Topa 05-11-2011 06:21 PM

Problem with Konquerer on one site (Solution for firefox FIX!!)

On 05/11/2011 03:55 AM, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:

11/05/2011 08:21, Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Ma, 10 mai 11, 19:19:33, Wayne Topa wrote:

Are you sure? Bring up an xterm and run iftop -nNB -i<your wlan
interface> and then bring up iceweasel but don't connect to the net.
If you don't see connections from Google/Mozilla and others I will
be very surprised. I recall a long thread 3-4 years ago where it
was discussed how to stop all of those probes. I was on dialup at
that time and my slow downloads would take hours to get here due to
all the probes from the net. There was no solution then IIRC.
Maybe there is none.

Yes, I see connections to at least Google as well (with Iceweasel 4 from
experimental). You might get rid of at least some by deactivating the
automatic search for updates for extensions and search engines.

Those made a big difference!!

Regards,
Andrei

OK, maybe this is relevant:

https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox%20makes%20unrequested%20connections

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connections_established_on_startup_-_Firefox

Thank you Andrei!!! These links are the answer to the Firefox hits I
was getting. I changed only 3 items and am now able to use firefox in

the same manner as rekonq or konqueror. No more loss of bandwidth or
MB's of my download allocation.

I can't say thank you enough.

Best Regards
Wayne

Archive: 4DCAD39F.4020902@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DCAD39F.4020902@gmail.com

Andrei Popescu 05-14-2011 09:36 AM

On Mi, 11 mai 11, 14:21:19, Wayne Topa wrote:
> On 05/11/2011 03:55 AM, tv.debian@googlemail.com wrote:
> >11/05/2011 08:21, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> >>Yes, I see connections to at least Google as well (with Iceweasel 4 from
> >>experimental). You might get rid of at least some by deactivating the
> >>automatic search for updates for extensions and search engines.
>
> Those made a big difference!!
>
> >OK, maybe this is relevant:
> >
> >https://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox%20makes%20unrequested%20connections
> >
> >http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connections_established_on_startup_-_Firefox
>
> Thank you Andrei!!! These links are the answer to the Firefox hits
> I was getting. I changed only 3 items and am now able to use
> firefox in
> the same manner as rekonq or konqueror. No more loss of bandwidth or
> MB's of my download allocation.
>
> I can't say thank you enough.

[:blush:] you're forgetting tv.debian@googlemail.com, I just made a
hint, the links are her/his contribution ;)

Regards,
Andrei

Wayne Topa 05-14-2011 12:24 PM

[...]

That was yet another mistake I made in this thread. Spelling the link
incorrectly was bad enough but not thanking everyone that contributed to
solving the problem is unforgivable. Then to make matters even worse my
quick read of the message when, I replied, caused me to credit the wrong
person. I humbly apologize, tv.debian, for that omission.

For the record, the 3 major changes I made to firefox were:
1. Go to Edit/Preferences/Security an uncheck "Block reported attack
sites" and "Block reported web forgeries".

2. about:config changed "extensions.blocklist.enabled" to false.
3 disabled the Speeddial extension.

Prior to the above changes I was seeing total downloads of 10-15 meg
in a 5 minute period while firefox was NOT connected to the net but to
my local dwww page.

After the above changes in 1 hour I see downloads of < 25K with the
above setup.

I hope that this was as much help to others as it was to me.

My sincere thanks to all that chipped in with their suggestions.

Best Regards

Wayne

Regards,
Andrei