Old 05-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Curt Howland

Default So much for Skype.

So Skype has been bought by Microsoft.

I expect the Linux version of Skype to be abolished in short order. Oh
well, thus the fate of proprietary software. I'm sure St. Ignucious is
shaking his head with the inevitability of it all.

This aught to re-ignite the effort to develop the alternatives.

And if it doesn't, that will say more than any success could.

Curt-

Old 05-11-2011, 03:17 PM
jeremy jozwik

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:
> So Skype has been bought by Microsoft.
>
> I expect the Linux version of Skype to be abolished in short order. Oh
> well, thus the fate of proprietary software. I'm sure St. Ignucious is
> shaking his head with the inevitability of it all.
>
> This aught to re-ignite the effort to develop the alternatives.
>
> And if it doesn't, that will say more than any success could.
>
> Curt-

better download that latest linux version now.

annoying, but it does work.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Mathieu Malaterre

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM, jeremy jozwik <jerjoz.forums@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:
>> So Skype has been bought by Microsoft.
>>
>> I expect the Linux version of Skype to be abolished in short order. Oh
>> well, thus the fate of proprietary software. I'm sure St. Ignucious is
>> shaking his head with the inevitability of it all.
>>
>> This aught to re-ignite the effort to develop the alternatives.
>>
>> And if it doesn't, that will say more than any success could.
>>
>> Curt-
>>

>> --
>
> better download that latest linux version now.
>
> annoying, but it does work.

Moving on to google talk...

--
Mathieu

Old 05-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Jamie Thompson

On 2011-05-11 4:23 PM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM, jeremy jozwik <jerjoz.forums@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:
>>> So Skype has been bought by Microsoft.
>>>
>>> I expect the Linux version of Skype to be abolished in short order. Oh
>>> well, thus the fate of proprietary software. I'm sure St. Ignucious is
>>> shaking his head with the inevitability of it all.
>>>
>>> This aught to re-ignite the effort to develop the alternatives.
>>>
>>> And if it doesn't, that will say more than any success could.
>>>
>>> Curt-
>>>

>>> --
>>
>> better download that latest linux version now.
>>
>> annoying, but it does work.
>
> Moving on to google talk...

Wish I could get more to do so...

The problem with social software is that you need to support the
platforms non-technical users are using. That inevitably means Windows
and Macs.

Problem is, there are no Windows clients AFAIK with decent Jingle video
support. Google, for some crazy reason, decided to put resources into
making a plugin for GMail rather than adding it to their GTalk client
software. Pidgin doesn't have video on Windows, and I've not found a
decent SIP client yet, let alone a "normal" user with a SIP account to
call them with.

In an ideal world, I'd like to see ubiquitous Jingle support, and
properly maintained XMPP transports for each proprietary network, with
Jingle support added to those if possible. A ubiquitous free solution
for NAT traversal would be nice too, so you get the same "just works
experience" that Skype offers.

- Jamie

Old 05-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Aaron Toponce

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:58:21AM -0400, Curt Howland wrote:
> So Skype has been bought by Microsoft.
>
> I expect the Linux version of Skype to be abolished in short order. Oh
> well, thus the fate of proprietary software. I'm sure St. Ignucious is
> shaking his head with the inevitability of it all.
>
> This aught to re-ignite the effort to develop the alternatives.
>
> And if it doesn't, that will say more than any success could.

First, you're speculating. You have nothing to base your guess on.
Microsoft may not have been the most "Linux-friendly" company in the world,
but that doesn't mean that they are going to cut the GNU/Linux client of
Skype.

Second, http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/05/ballmer-skype-announcement/.
Quote:

Both executives sought to reassure Skype customers who might be
worried about Microsoft’s ability and willingness to support the
multiplatform software, which is available for Windows, OS X and Linux
PCs; Android, BlackBerry and iOS smartphones; and even televisions.

“We’re one of the few companies that has actually has a track record of
doing this,” said Ballmer, pointing to the company’s Mac support over
the years. “Fundamental to the value proposition of communications is
being able to reach everybody, whether they happen to be on your
devices or not.”

“The commitment from Microsoft to support multiplatform clients is
absolutely critical,” Bates said, indicating that Skype got assurances
from Microsoft that it would continue to support all of Skype’s
platforms.

Third, Skype is a proprietary client that uses a proprietary protocol. If
you're that concerned about it, then you'll run it on a supported platform,
even if it means the platform itself is proprietary, such as Microsoft
Windows.

--
. o . o . o . . o o . . . o .
. . o . o o o . o . o o . . o

Old 05-11-2011, 04:05 PM
Γαβριήλ Τασιόπουλος

> The problem with social software is that you need to support the
> platforms non-technical users are using. That inevitably means Windows
> and Macs.

I use a mac and I'd like to think I'm a "technical user". Isolating
Linux users from the rest of the computer users as more technical and
specialized is one of the reasons clients for mainstream services are
not developed for linux.

I've not found a
> decent SIP client yet, let alone a "normal" user with a SIP account to
> call them with.

I've been using Zoiper to setup remote Computer Based call centers
over openvpn and it seems to work perfectly.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:07 PM
Tom H

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 10:58 AM, Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:

> So Skype has been bought by Microsoft.
>
> I expect the Linux version of Skype to be abolished in short order. Oh
> well, thus the fate of proprietary software. I'm sure St. Ignucious is
> shaking his head with the inevitability of it all.

A decision to drop or not the Linux version of Skype might depend on
how many Linux users pay for Skype-in and Skype-out.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Leonardo Ruoso

On 2011-05-11 4:23 PM, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM, jeremy jozwik <jerjoz.forums@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:
>>> This aught to re-ignite the effort to develop the alternatives.

Re-ignite? I can't agree with you. What about Google Talk and Empathy?*>> better download that latest linux version now.

I think it's still the same beta...*> Moving on to google talk...

Most buddies around me are doing the move since last year...*

The problem with social software is that you need to support the
platforms non-technical users are using. That inevitably means Windows

and Macs.
It's not a problem at all.*
*Problem is, there are no Windows clients AFAIK with decent Jingle video

support. Google, for some crazy reason, decided to put resources into
Probably because most gtalk users are webmail users?*
--
Leonardo Ruoso - Jornalista/Desenvolvedor

Assessoria de Imprensa. Consultoria de Marketing.*Desenvolvimento e Integrao de Software.*Comunicao Social/Jornalismo - UFC/2006. Telecomunicaes - ETFCE/1998.*Foos, Perl, Debian Gnu/Linux, Agile, UML, DBA e OOP. Coaching/NLP. Ingls e Francs.*

http://leonardo.ruoso.com*-*http://www.linkedin.com/in/lruoso

Old 05-11-2011, 04:37 PM

On Wednesday 11 May, 2011 08:59:24 Aaron Toponce wrote:
> First, you're speculating. You have nothing to base your guess on.
> Microsoft may not have been the most "Linux-friendly" company in the world,
> but that doesn't mean that they are going to cut the GNU/Linux client of
> Skype.
>
> Second, http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/05/ballmer-skype-announcement/.
> Quote:
>
> Third, Skype is a proprietary client that uses a proprietary protocol. If
> you're that concerned about it, then you'll run it on a supported platform,
> even if it means the platform itself is proprietary, such as Microsoft
> Windows.

LOL, what makes you think that wagging your finger at someone, teaches them anything, or encourages respect for you?

Old 05-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Klaus Wolf

Hi,

perhaps you can take a look at iptel.org ?