Old 05-11-2011, 02:52 PM
"Bonno Bloksma"

Default preparing upgrade

Hi,
*
I am looking at the release notes to get
comfortable with what's in them and to get a feeling for what I need to look at
when upgrading our debian servers.
Most of our servers were installed as Etch and then
upgraded to Lenny.
*
In my sources.list files I have lines
like:
deb http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/
lenny main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/
lenny main non-free contrib
*
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates
main non-free contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates
main non-free contrib

I understand I need to add squeeze-updates to that
list as well and remove volatile if I have it somewhere. (And of course change
the lenny to squeeze at the proper moment during upgrade).
*
But what*are those security.debian.org lines
for? Is that some leftover from Etch, which I can detele,*or is it
something I still need in Squeeze? Is it something like the new squeeze-updates
repository? I cannot find anything about it, or at least nothing that will tell
me clearly what I need to do.
*
*
*

Met vriendelijke groet,
Bonno Bloksma
senior
systeembeheerder

tio*

hogeschool hospitality en toerisme
begijnenhof
8-12 / 5611 el eindhoven
t 040 296 28 28 / f 040 237 35 20

b.bloksma@tio.nl* / www.tio.nl

Old 05-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Axel Freyn

Hi,
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 04:52:06PM +0200, Bonno Bloksma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking at the release notes to get comfortable with what's in
> them and to get a feeling for what I need to look at when upgrading
> our debian servers.
> Most of our servers were installed as Etch and then upgraded to Lenny.
>
> In my sources.list files I have lines like:
> deb http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/distr/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main non-free contrib
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main non-free contrib
>
> I understand I need to add squeeze-updates to that list as well and
> remove volatile if I have it somewhere. (And of course change the
> lenny to squeeze at the proper moment during upgrade).
>
> But what are those security.debian.org lines for? Is that some
> leftover from Etch, which I can detele, or is it something I still
> need in Squeeze? Is it something like the new squeeze-updates
> repository? I cannot find anything about it, or at least nothing that
> will tell me clearly what I need to do.

You have to keep security.debian.org. Those are under control of the
security team and cointain the fast & important security updates.
See e.g. http://www.debian.org/security/
Volatile now is integrated in the "official" squeeze-updates:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-volatile-announce/2011/msg00000.html
There it's also stated clearly:
"This suite will contain updates that satisfy one of the following
criteria:

* The update is urgent and not of a security nature. Security updates
will continue to be pushed through the security archive.
"
So, security.debian.org continues to be important :-)

Axel