Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Mario Kleinsasser

Default glibc blowfish support an PureFTPD

Hello list,
currently I'am migrating a PureFTPD ftp server installed on old SuSE to Debian Squeeze.The passwords in the SuSE pureftpd.passwd are hashed with crypt() blowfish.

As I read ahead it seems like that Debians glibc isn't supporting blowfish via crypt(), but the source code of pureftpd uses it (blowfish tested first).*I know that I could install pam_unix2.so to enable blowfish shadow passwords but that is not the target in this case.

I tried this with a short copied code hack from the net:-----------------------#include <crypt.h>#include <stdio.h>#include <stdlib.h>

intmain (int _, char *argv[]){* * * * printf ("%s
", crypt (argv[1], argv[2]));* * * * return EXIT_SUCCESS;}----------------------

Here the outputs from the testsES (OK):./testcrypt foo 'abcdefgh'abQ9KY.KfrYrc
MD5 (OK):./testcrypt foo '$1$abcdefgh'
$1$abcdefgh$XxzGe9Muun7wTYbZO4sdr0
SHA256 (OK):./testcrypt foo '$5$abcdefgh'$5$abcdefgh$CW45LGaOXvr/s.wV2oa1hJQDggNQ2Q.kmtERKd8vfa6

SHA512 (OK):./testcrypt foo '$6$abcdefgh'$6$abcdefgh$j0MVxgmPHdViHdU0fAVeXckk8 X1/NT/aW8qH8f/E9EOXiODjOVOMxvfuGhvV3BoHalJReG2ivQ7nqTG.TS54n.
BLOWFISH (NOT OK, seems like plain DES?):
./testcrypt foo '$2a$07$abcdefgh'$2zJyhpjk3l9E
This doesn't work in neither salt version "$2$" "$2a$07" etc.

Here the installed version:libc6 * * *2.11.2-10
Any tips, hints how to migrate PureFTPD from SuSE without resetting all Passwords?Is Debian glibc really without blowfish support - only to be sure?

Mario
--
http://www.n0r1sk.com