FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Jeroen van Aart
 
Default Fwd: Defending yourself

Lisi wrote:

Putting this back on list.


This was a private email. It was not meant to be sent to the list. I
would think it's generally accepted that it's rather rude to do so.


--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DCA3B58.9060809@mompl.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DCA3B58.9060809@mompl.net
 
Old 05-11-2011, 07:44 AM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Fwd: Defending yourself

Jeroen Van Aart wrote:
>
> I see one of the main reasons spam emails actually make it to the list
> is the policy of allowing non subscribers to email the list. I find this
> policy, even though it's commendable, not something suited for this day
> and age of email abuse.

[...]

> A mailing list that only allows subscribers to send and receive email
> is not closed. Anyone is still allowed to subscribe. It does not in my
> opinion mean you're dictating anything. It just means you take email
> abuse seriously and try your best to prevent spam from reaching
> people.

I think of spammers like terrorist, abusing the internet. If defending
from them makes the internet less free then they won.

> If preventing non subscribers from sending email is too big of a step
> you can always automatically moderate emails from non subscribers and
> only then release the emails when they're found to not be spam.

This is not doable as the amount of spam is too big for humans to
moderate.

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Lisi
 
Default Fwd: Defending yourself

On Wednesday 11 May 2011 08:31:36 Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> Lisi wrote:
> > Putting this back on list.
>
> This was a private email. It was not meant to be sent to the list. I
> would think it's generally accepted that it's rather rude to do so.
>
> --
> http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html

It is list policy not to send private replies to list mail. And I thought
that it was rude of you to email me privately, not to mention unpleasant. So
I put it back where it belonged, in the correct thread on-list.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201105110932.58327.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201105110932.58327.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 05-11-2011, 08:53 AM
shawn wilson
 
Default Fwd: Defending yourself

On May 11, 2011 4:33 AM, "Lisi" <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

>

> On Wednesday 11 May 2011 08:31:36 Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> > Lisi wrote:

> > > Putting this back on list.

> >

> > This was a private email. It was not meant to be sent to the list. I

> > would think it's generally accepted that it's rather rude to do so.

> >

> > --

> > http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

> > http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html

>

> It is list policy not to send private replies to list mail. *And I thought

> that it was rude of you to email me privately, not to mention unpleasant. *So

> I put it back where it belonged, in the correct thread on-list.

>


Ahhh, I read threads like this on reddit (and other online forums) when I'm bored or just want to cringe at something. I never thought the likes of that would reach this list.


I'm starting to wonder how long this (OT) thread will go. I'm wishing we had that filesystem thread still going right about now - I learned something from that. (Not totally sold on xfs but I learned tons)
 
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Lisi
 
Default Fwd: Defending yourself

On Wednesday 11 May 2011 09:53:38 shawn wilson wrote:
> On May 11, 2011 4:33 AM, "Lisi" <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 11 May 2011 08:31:36 Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> Ahhh, I read threads like this on reddit (and other online forums) when I'm
> bored or just want to cringe at something. I never thought the likes of
> that would reach this list.

You're right. Sorry. :-( But I always put list mail back on list, so my
action was not ad hominem.

None-the-less, you are right, and I apologise for my part in it.

Lisi


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201105110958.06599.lisi.reisz@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/201105110958.06599.lisi.reisz@gmail.com
 
Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 AM
consul tores
 
Default Fwd: Defending yourself

2011/5/11 Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
>
> I think of spammers like terrorist, abusing the internet. If defending
> from them makes the internet less free then they won.
>
>> If preventing non subscribers from sending email is too big of a step
>> you can always automatically moderate emails from non subscribers and
>> only then release the emails when they're found to not be spam.
>
> This is not doable as the amount of spam is too big for humans to
> moderate.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Andrei

Could you please explain which concept of "terrorists" are you referring to?
Real or political?

--
* * * * ** Consultores Agropecuarios.
Administracion, Produccion, Capacitacion.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTikkHtgg5Pi1PPtRWD9+FeT4c23eJA@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTikkHtgg5Pi1PPtRWD9+FeT4c23eJA@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-11-2011, 01:56 PM
Chris Brennan
 
Default Fwd: Defending yourself

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:53 AM, shawn wilson <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:


Ahhh, I read threads like this on reddit (and other online forums) when I'm bored or just want to cringe at something. I never thought the likes of that would reach this list.


This thread has been nothing but hysterical ... akin to morning coffee as I read all my list mail when I first get up.*



I'm starting to wonder how long this (OT) thread will go. I'm wishing we had that filesystem thread still going right about now - I learned something from that. (Not totally sold on xfs but I learned tons)






+1, I was already in the XFS camp and I learned a few new things (mostly misconceptions)
--


> A: Yes.
> >Q: Are you sure?
> >>A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.
> >>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
 
Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Jeroen van Aart
 
Default Fwd: Defending yourself

Lisi wrote:
It is list policy not to send private replies to list mail. And I thought
that it was rude of you to email me privately, not to mention unpleasant.


What you say is untrue. The code of conduct clearly states the following:

http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct

"Do not quote messages that were sent to you by other people in private
mail, unless agreed beforehand."


I did not agree beforehand for you to quote my message.

It would be kind of you to apologise. It is generally considered bad
nettiquette to send private emails to a mailing list and this list does
not appear to be an exception.


In addition when replying the person's private email is copied in the
"To:" not the list's address. In my experience this generally means a
conscious decision was made to encourage replies to go to the individual
instead of the list.


Best regards,
Jeroen

--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DCADBB4.3080507@mompl.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DCADBB4.3080507@mompl.net
 
Old 05-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Fwd: Defending yourself

On Wed, 11 May 2011 11:55:48 -0700, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> Lisi wrote:
>> It is list policy not to send private replies to list mail. And I
>> thought that it was rude of you to email me privately, not to mention
>> unpleasant.
>
> What you say is untrue. The code of conduct clearly states the
> following:
>
> http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct
>
> "Do not quote messages that were sent to you by other people in private
> mail, unless agreed beforehand."

IMHO, that rule lacks the following preface: "Should a user states his/
her desire to keep a private conversation..."

> I did not agree beforehand for you to quote my message.

As a rule of thumb I always *reply* to the list and *resend* to the list
all the messages I receive, unless:

1/ I know beforehand the person is replying me and can easily see the
user wants to go private.

2/ The own nature of the message (i.e., it contains sensitive data).

3/ The user that replies to me *explicitly* states that he/she wants to
keep an off-list conversation.

> It would be kind of you to apologise.

I hope you also did so when you sent the message to Lisi...

> It is generally considered bad
> nettiquette to send private emails to a mailing list and this list does
> not appear to be an exception.

No, it's the opposite.

> In addition when replying the person's private email is copied in the
> "To:" not the list's address. In my experience this generally means a
> conscious decision was made to encourage replies to go to the individual
> instead of the list.

Sadly, that's not true at all.

There are plenty of "broken" webmail services (i.e., Gmail) that by
default reply to the user's e-mail address instead to the e-mail address
of the mailing list and the user is not aware of this fact.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.05.11.20.30.48@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.05.11.20.30.48@gmail.com
 
Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
shawn wilson
 
Default Fwd: Defending yourself

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 4:30 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 May 2011 11:55:48 -0700, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
>
>
> There are plenty of "broken" webmail services (i.e., Gmail) that by
> default reply to the user's e-mail address instead to the e-mail address
> of the mailing list and the user is not aware of this fact.
>

yeah, no kidding. gmail has irritated me with this often enough. i've
learned to re-all, and (unless the user says he's not subscribed to
the list) erase the to field. this is quite annoying (thought of
making a greasemonkey script to deal with this - no round tuit yet).

weeee....
* ag4ve.us throws more kindling on the fire


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTikX2f_-V=XtT24wBfjk=5n3nkYheg@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTikX2f_-V=XtT24wBfjk=5n3nkYheg@mail.gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:30 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org