Old 05-11-2011, 12:26 AM
Charles Blair

Default How to boot netinst CD from Toshiba Satellite 650?

Pressing F2 at the beginning gives me a menu, but I didn't
see anything for booting from the CD/DVD drive.

Bonus question: I should be using AMD-64 netinst, right?

Old 05-11-2011, 01:40 AM
Jeroen van Aart

Charles Blair wrote:

Pressing F2 at the beginning gives me a menu, but I didn't
see anything for booting from the CD/DVD drive.

Did you try F12?
Additionally if you can go into the bios then select the dvd/cd drive to
be the first disk to boot from.

Bonus question: I should be using AMD-64 netinst, right?

Looks like that laptop has a 64 bits CPU. You can use both 32 and 64
bits debian but to get the most out of it it's a good idea to use amd64
yes. It'll be faster and you'll be able to allocate more memory.

Greetings,
Jeroen

--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html

Archive: 4DC9E8F5.7000103@mompl.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DC9E8F5.7000103@mompl.net

Old 05-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 10 May 2011 19:26:09 -0500, Charles Blair wrote:

> Pressing F2 at the beginning gives me a menu, but I didn't see anything
> for booting from the CD/DVD drive.

How about setting the boot priority with F12 key?

> Bonus question: I should be using AMD-64 netinst, right?

If the micro is 64-bits capable you can use either, i386 or amd64
architectures.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Jeroen van Aart

Jeroen van Aart wrote:

Charles Blair wrote:

Pressing F2 at the beginning gives me a menu, but I didn't

Bonus question: I should be using AMD-64 netinst, right?

Looks like that laptop has a 64 bits CPU. You can use both 32 and 64

Actually if you use the laptop for a lot of streaming media it may be
worthwhile to install 32 bits debian. This is because the some of 64
bits codecs don't work very well whereas the 32 bits ones work fine.

It's one of the reasons I keep a 32 bits x86 system around and I have
yet to find a satisfying solution.

I am refering to packages such as:

apt-cache policy w64codecs
w64codecs:
Installed: 1:20071007-0.5
Candidate: 1:20071007-0.5
Version table:
*** 1:20071007-0.5 0
500 http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ squeeze/non-free amd64
Packages

100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

So it's not part of debian proper I guess.