Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 PM
Brad Rogers

Default Problem with Konquerer on one site

On Tue, 10 May 2011 14:41:43 -0400
Wayne Topa <linuxtwo@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Wayne,

> If some could check the above link to see if they can see the maps
> with konquerer, I sure would appreciate it.

No, just the address search box.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 10 May 2011 19:41:43 Wayne Topa wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> I am unable to get konquerer to display the Maps at
> <http://www.jonassan.org/maps/>. I am forced to use Konq due to
> iceweasel attracting so many hits from the web that my monthly limit
> would be exhausted in 2 weeks. Oddly, konquerer does not get ANY hits
> at all.
>
> If some could check the above link to see if they can see the maps
> with konquerer, I sure would appreciate it.

No. Just a blank page and the statement that the page is loaded.

Lisi

Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM
"tv.debian@googlemail.com"

10/05/2011 23:16, Wayne Topa wrote:
> On 05/10/2011 04:17 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 May 2011 14:41:43 -0400, Wayne Topa wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys

Hi,

>>> I am unable to get konquerer to display the Maps at
>>> <http://www.jonassan.org/maps/>.
>> <"http://www.jonasson.org/maps" :-)
>
> No, <http://www.jonassan.org/maps/>. Which works in iceweasel. :-(
>>

>>> I am forced to use Konq due to
>>> iceweasel attracting so many hits from the web that my monthly limit
>>> would be exhausted in 2 weeks. Oddly, konquerer does not get ANY hits
>>> at all.
>>
>> I'm not sure to have understood correctly that stanza.
>>
> Sorry. I knew exactly what I meant but did not convey it properly.
>
> When I connect to the net and do not have iceweasel running, I can get
> mail or using Konqueror, I watch the output of if iftop and see normal
> network connections from the dns server, ntp, and the site/sites I am
> connected to. Maybe 6 addresses at a time.
>
> When I open iceweasel and connect to my 127.0.0.1/dwww page, Not the
> Net, I get screen after screen full of ip addresses connecting to me on
> many different ports and eating up my download allotment. The downloads
> to me stop on quiting iceweasel. That being the case, I have concluded
> the running iceweasel is NOT in my best interest,

I use Iceweasel and never noticed this behavior. Maybe you should play
with extensions like NoScript to have better control on what code your
browser executes.
You don't happen to run p2p software during/before this test, that would
generate a lot of hits.

> So the question remains, can anyone confirm that konqueror can connect
> to www.jonasson.org/maps/ and if so do they run it in KDE or another WM.

It kind'o work here, I get a working navigable map in a frame at the
left of the Konqueror window, but also a lot of garbage in the right
half of the window stating that I should zoom out to get a view.
Running kde (wheezy/sid amd64).

>> How can Iceweasel "generate" more web traffic and what relation has that
>> with using it or not? :-?
>>
>>> If some could check the above link to see if they can see the maps
>>> with konquerer, I sure would appreciate it.
>>
>> I can't help here because I'm not using KDE ;-(
>>
> Neither do I but I need a browser that doesn't open up my system to
> attack, so I have installed konqueror with all of it's dependences and
> suggests.

I am not sure you are using the right mean for what you want to achieve,
no web browser is "safe", or all are, it depends on what websites you
visit and how up to date the browser/pluggins/extensions are.
I may very well be wrong but Konqueror is kind of deprecated in the kde
environment, now dolphin is prefered for file management, and rekonq for
web browsing.

> I also tried Opera but it seems that it only supports Portrait printing
> and I need landscape. Opera would be OK as far as it does not attract
> the network either.

It does here, I can choose "landscape" or "portrait" in the printer
properties dialog from the Opera "print" screen.
As for being "safer", Opera is targeted by dedicated attacks from time
to time, see recently [1].

[snip]
> That is why I asked if anyone using konq could check the link for me. :-)
>
> I brought konqueror up in xterm and there are a bunch of problems listed
> like:
>
> kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_klauncher.so
> Connecting to deprecated signal
> QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
> kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kded4.so
> QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method
> KUniqueApplication::loadCommandLineOptionsForNewIn stance()
> kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kbuildsycoca4.so
> kbuildsycoca4 running...
> kbuildsycoca4(1778) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType
> in "/usr/share/applications/grace.desktop" is not compliant with XDG
> standard (missing trailing semicolon).
> kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
> Connecting to deprecated signal
> QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
> kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/kio_file.so
>
> No Javascript errors though. Guess I can forget about using Konq as
> well. I do not want the baggage that installing KDE would bring in.

Maybe you are missing some Qt librairies ? (Wild guess)

>> In brief, review konqueror's javascript console and search for any error/
>> warning :-)
>>
>> Greetings,
>>

> Thanks Again Cemaleon for the reply.

[1]
http://www.h-online.com/security/news/item/Online-banking-trojans-target-Chrome-and-Opera-1233757.html

Old 05-10-2011, 10:01 PM

On Tuesday 10 May, 2011 14:16:09 Wayne Topa wrote:
> So the question remains, can anyone confirm that konqueror can connect
> to www.jonasson.org/maps/ and if so do they run it in KDE or another WM.

I can connect and get the Search for banner at the bottom, but no maps.

Konqi over KDE 4.4.5

I can't find a Javascript console in Konqi.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Wayne Topa

[...]

Well that confirms that I have something missing here that Konqueror
needs that is not listed in the dependices and/or the suggests.

I will remove Konq for reasons before.

How can Iceweasel "generate" more web traffic and what relation has that
with using it or not? :-?

If some could check the above link to see if they can see the maps
with konquerer, I sure would appreciate it.

I can't help here because I'm not using KDE ;-(

Neither do I but I need a browser that doesn't open up my system to
attack, so I have installed konqueror with all of it's dependences and
suggests.

I am not sure you are using the right mean for what you want to achieve,
no web browser is "safe", or all are, it depends on what websites you
visit and how up to date the browser/pluggins/extensions are.
I may very well be wrong but Konqueror is kind of deprecated in the kde
environment, now dolphin is prefered for file management, and rekonq for
web browsing.

Thank You Sir!! rekonq Works fully and is showing only the dns server
and ntp requests !! I will miss iceweasel with all its plugins but now
I can surf without sharing my downloads with the uninvited guests.

I had been searching for other browsers and had not gotten to the 'r's yet.

Many, Many Thanks tv.debian. You are the man!!

I also tried Opera but it seems that it only supports Portrait printing
and I need landscape. Opera would be OK as far as it does not attract
the network either.

It does here, I can choose "landscape" or "portrait" in the printer
properties dialog from the Opera "print" screen.
As for being "safer", Opera is targeted by dedicated attacks from time
to time, see recently [1].

I am running opera 11.10.2092 on sid amd64 and the printer options are
all grayed out so it is stuck at Portrait.

Archive: 4DC9BFF1.40204@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC9BFF1.40204@gmail.com

Old 05-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Wayne Topa

I am unable to get konquerer to display the Maps at
<http://www.jonassan.org/maps/>. I am forced to use Konq due to
iceweasel attracting so many hits from the web that my monthly limit
would be exhausted in 2 weeks. Oddly, konquerer does not get ANY hits
at all.

If some could check the above link to see if they can see the maps
with konquerer, I sure would appreciate it.

No. Just a blank page and the statement that the page is loaded.

Lisi

Thank You Lisi. We must be missing something from the KDE libs. Good
news is that if you install the rekonq package, the link does work. It

looks sparse compared to konguerer but it is fine for my purposes.

Thanks for the reply
Regards
Wayne

Archive: 4DC9C15A.6090904@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC9C15A.6090904@gmail.com

Old 05-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Doug

I am unable to get konquerer to display the Maps at
<http://www.jonassan.org/maps/>. I am forced to use Konq due to
iceweasel attracting so many hits from the web that my monthly limit
would be exhausted in 2 weeks. Oddly, konquerer does not get ANY hits
at all.

If some could check the above link to see if they can see the maps
with konquerer, I sure would appreciate it.

No. Just a blank page and the statement that the page is loaded.

Lisi

Try the correct url: http://www.jonasson.org/maps/

You will see two maps--one from Bing and one from Google. At least I do.
Running pclos. --doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley

Archive: 4DC9C632.6030707@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DC9C632.6030707@optonline.net

Old 05-10-2011, 11:19 PM
Wayne Topa

[...]

Are you sure? Bring up an xterm and run iftop -nNB -i <your wlan
interface> and then bring up iceweasel but don't connect to the net. If
you don't see connections from Google/Mozilla and others I will be very
surprised. I recall a long thread 3-4 years ago where it was discussed
how to stop all of those probes. I was on dialup at that time and my
slow downloads would take hours to get here due to all the probes from
the net. There was no solution then IIRC. Maybe there is none.

I caught this problem when I installed conky which I set up to monitor
downloads on my wireless interfaces. I could not figure out what the
traffic was when I was not doing anything on the net while the wireless
was on. I am now on my 4th firewall and this one,
arno-iptables-firewall, is default to deny and I am still getting hits
but a lot less them before.

I have had NoScript for years now.

You don't happen to run p2p software during/before this test, that would
generate a lot of hits.

No p2p software. I even removed all multicast software thinking that
might have been causing it.

Best regards

Wayne

Archive: 4DC9C805.4060408@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC9C805.4060408@gmail.com

Old 05-10-2011, 11:21 PM
John Hasler

Wayne Topa wrote:
> When I open iceweasel and connect to my 127.0.0.1/dwww page, Not the
> Net, I get screen after screen full of ip addresses connecting to me
> on many different ports and eating up my download allotment.

This is very strange. Please post an example.
--
John Hasler

Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Doug

I am unable to get konquerer to display the Maps at
<http://www.jonassan.org/maps/>.

<"http://www.jonasson.org/maps" :-)

No,<http://www.jonassan.org/maps/>. Which works in iceweasel. :-(

/snip/

I must apologize. I tried it (with the "*-son* spelling) on Firefox and
it works OK.
But you're right, on Konqueror it just produces a blank page. (Using
pclos.) I guess

a bug report is justified.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacekeepers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley