Old 05-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Bill Brelsford

Default xorg "freezes/sticks" under kernel 2.6.38

Since upgrading to kernel 2.6.38, I've been experiencing freezes
in X. After startup, things are normal for a matter of minutes;
then most keypresses and mouseclicks have no effect until focus
is moved to another window, at which time the screen "catches up."
Once it starts it continues until X is re-started.

Starting X with fvwm's ClickToFocus (rather than SloppyFocus or
FocusFollowsMouse) seems to work longer but eventually fails.
The problem does not occur when running a 2.6.37 kernel.

I'm running sid on an Asus S62E laptop with the following packages:

xorg 1:7.6+6
xserver-xorg 1:7.6+6
xserver-xorg-core 2:1.10.1-2
xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1:2.6.0-2+b1
xserver-xorg-input-kbd 1:1.6.0-1+b1
xserver-xorg-input-mouse 1:1.7.0-2+b1
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.4.0-1+b1
xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.15.0-2

Same results with wheezy and:

xorg 1:7.5+8
xserver-xorg 1:7.5+8
xserver-xorg-core 2:1.7.7-13
xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1:2.3.2-6
xserver-xorg-input-kbd 1:1.4.0-2
xserver-xorg-input-mouse 1:1.5.0-2
xserver-xorg-input-synaptics 1.2.2-2
xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.13.0-6

Starting X and then running fvwm and applications on a remote
(squeeze) machine has the same problem, so it appears to be an
issue with the X server and the 2.6.38 kernel.

Anyone else experiencing this? Suggestions?

Thanks.. Bill

Old 05-11-2011, 01:07 AM
Steve Kleene

On 2011-05-10 20:40:21 GMT, Bill Brelsford wrote:

> Since upgrading to kernel 2.6.38, I've been experiencing freezes
> in X. ... Anyone else experiencing this? Suggestions?

On one of my Wheezy 2.6.28 machines (but not on the other), an xorg upgrade
wrecked my fvwm X Windows display. I got it working again by undoing the X
upgrade, and those packages are now being held back. Someday when newer ones
come along I may try again.

More details are here:

Old 05-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Wolodja Wentland

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 01:07 +0000, Steve Kleene wrote:
> On 2011-05-10 20:40:21 GMT, Bill Brelsford wrote:
>
> > Since upgrading to kernel 2.6.38, I've been experiencing freezes
> > in X. ... Anyone else experiencing this? Suggestions?
>
> On one of my Wheezy 2.6.28 machines (but not on the other), an xorg upgrade
> wrecked my fvwm X Windows display. I got it working again by undoing the X
> upgrade, and those packages are now being held back. Someday when newer ones
> come along I may try again.
>
> More details are here:

I wanted to let you know that you can reassign the bug yourself. Have a look
at http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control and the "bts" tool from the
devscripts package. (I've done that for now)

Regarding your problem, it might be a good idea to follow the instructions on:

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/XserverDebugging

Good luck and happy hunting!
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <babilen@gmail.com>
: :' :

Old 05-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Steve Kleene

On Wed, 11 May 2011 11:09:06 +0100, Wolodja Wentland wrote:

> I wanted to let you know that you can reassign the bug yourself. Have a look
> at http://www.debian.org/Bugs/server-control and the "bts" tool from the
> devscripts package. (I've done that for now)

Thanks. I hadn't known that.

> Regarding your problem, it might be a good idea to follow the instructions on:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/XserverDebugging

OK, I'll see what I can find out, but probably not until this weekend.