Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Camaleón

Default unable to apt-get an older system

On Tue, 10 May 2011 08:50:01 -0700, Jim Pazarena wrote:

> I have a debian based appliance which is running 2.6.16.62, I am unsure
> how to determine debian version.

Try with "lsb_release -a"

> I need to add wput (apt-get install wput) however first I need to run
> apt-get update which fails at:
>
> Hit http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/contrib Release

Hum... "stable" now points to squeeze (the "current" stable).

> Reading Package Lists... Error!
> E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_stable_main_binary-i386_Packages
> (1) E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Maybe the mentioned file has been corrupted somehow :-?

> Is there a way around this? Other than a full update, which isn't
> possible because the appliance runs a canned program which would likely
> choke on a full upgrade.

I would also check the repos listed at the "/etc/apt/sources.list" file
and update the URLs as/if needed. And remember that you can also fetch
the file directly from the server:

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/wput

Just be sure the squeeze version applies for your system and you are not
getting any dependency issue.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-13-2011, 04:30 AM
Jim Pazarena

I have a debian based appliance which is running 2.6.16.62, I am unsure
how to
determine debian version.

You may have some luck with:
cat /etc/debian_version

ahhh.. 4.0

Is there a way around this? Other than a full update, which isn't possible
because the appliance runs a canned program which would likely choke on
a full upgrade.

I'm thinking the problem *might* be that you are running an old release, but have "stable" in
sources.list.
If you find the release you have installed, you may have more luck using http://archive.debian.org/
in your sources.list.

I have:
deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main non-free contrib

which dies (apt-get update) on:
Get:6 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/contrib Release [98B]
Fetched 8830kB in 1m56s (76.1kB/s)
Reading Package Lists... Error!

the other "Get:1 .. thru .. Get:5" seem to work just fine.

Is there an adjustment I can make or an addition to the sources.list file
which can sneak this Get:6 into working?

I tried replacing ftp.us.debian.org with archive.debian.org and the error messages really flew!

Help appreciated. Many thanks.
--
Jim Pazarena debian@paz.bz

Archive: 4DCCB3F4.50401@paz.bz">http://lists.debian.org/4DCCB3F4.50401@paz.bz

Old 05-13-2011, 06:44 AM
Lisi

On Friday 13 May 2011 05:30:44 Jim Pazarena wrote:
> I have:
> deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main non-free contrib
>
> which dies (apt-get update) on:
> Get:6 http://ftp.us.debian.org stable/contrib Release [98B]
> Fetched 8830kB in 1m56s (76.1kB/s)
> Reading Package Lists... Error!

I understood that you didn't want to upgrade - but you have been updating your
database with Squeeze, Debian 6, the current stable: i.e. skipping Lenny
(current Old Stable) completely. It's lucky that your apt-get update hung,
since you would have hosed your system if you had upgraded from that database
without reading teh release notes and going via Lenny.

You will find the various Etch packages at:

CDs etc.:
http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/debian-installer/

sources.list:
For Free Software:
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian etch main

For Sources
deb-src http://archive.debian.org/debian etch main

I don't know where the Etch contrib and non-free repositories are nor whether
they still exist.

Once you have edited your sources list, you will need to update your apt
database with these repositories, but you will need to get rid of the Squeeze
data first, but I have never edited the apt datbase and that don't know how
to do it.

Lisi

Old 05-13-2011, 05:00 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Vi, 13 mai 11, 07:44:23, Lisi wrote:

> Once you have edited your sources list, you will need to update your apt
> database with these repositories, but you will need to get rid of the Squeeze
> data first, but I have never edited the apt datbase and that don't know how
> to do it.

Simply removing any 'stable' or 'squeeze' (i.e. anything that you don't
need) entries in sources.list and running 'apt-get update' should do the
trick.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Lisi

On Friday 13 May 2011 18:00:14 Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Vi, 13 mai 11, 07:44:23, Lisi wrote:
> > Once you have edited your sources list, you will need to update your apt
> > database with these repositories, but you will need to get rid of the
> > Squeeze data first, but I have never edited the apt datbase and that
> > don't know how to do it.
>
> Simply removing any 'stable' or 'squeeze' (i.e. anything that you don't
> need) entries in sources.list and running 'apt-get update' should do the
> trick.

Thanks, Andrei.

I thought (clearly erroneously) that it couldn't/wouldn't go backwards. I
shall obviously have to adjust my ideas.

Lisi