Old 05-10-2011, 11:04 AM
"Gorka"

Default Problem with chmod

Hi.

I have got Ubuntu 11.04 installed on my pendrive. In /ME folder I have got
some files.bin to upgrade the BIOS an so.
The problem is that I can't execute them. It says I have no
permissions.These are 7001 (last number refers back to the sticky bit)
I'm trying to set 'sudo chmod 777 *', but I can't.

Any idea?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:17 AM
Kousik Maiti

Go to the parent directory. Run
sudo chmod -R 777 *

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/014f01cc0f02$042497c0$0c6dc740$@yahoo.es

--
Wishing you the very best of everything, always!!!
Kousik Maiti(কৌশিক মাইতি)

Old 05-10-2011, 12:18 PM
"Gorka"

Parent directory is /
*
Aparently it changes permissions to 777, but suddenly they turn into 7001 again. There is some kind of persistency. Chown works well, but chmod works so.
*
*

Old 05-10-2011, 01:21 PM
Chris Davies

Gorka <gorkalinux@yahoo.es> wrote:
> I have got Ubuntu 11.04 installed on my pendrive. In /ME folder I have got
> some files.bin to upgrade the BIOS an so.
> The problem is that I can't execute them. It says I have no
> permissions.These are 7001 (last number refers back to the sticky bit)
> I'm trying to set 'sudo chmod 777 *', but I can't.

What filesystem have you put on the pendrive?
Chris

Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 PM
"Gorka"

I have formated with FAT32 and then followed these instructions ...

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

... to install bootable Ubuntu 11.04 on it.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 PM
"Gorka"

Old 05-10-2011, 03:21 PM
shawn wilson

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Gorka <gorkalinux@yahoo.es> wrote:

> [...]

check your mount options. (or post the output of 'mount')

Old 05-10-2011, 03:21 PM
shawn wilson

Old 05-10-2011, 03:55 PM
Bob McGowan

On 05/10/2011 05:18 AM, Gorka wrote:
> Parent directory is /
>

> Aparently it changes permissions to 777, but suddenly they turn into
> 7001 again. There is some kind of persistency. Chown works well, but
> chmod works so.

<--deleted other suggestions for brevity-->

Try creating a new directory somewhere else, copy the files into it and
see if you can change the permissions there.

Since you've created a bootable setup on a pendrive, it is possible that
the root is a ram disk and this could (I suppose) be an issue. So you
may want to run 'mount' with no arguments to see what devices are
associated with mount points, and choose one that points to the pendrive
itself.

Or, if the pendrive is not mounted, you may be able to mount it manually
and then do the mkdir/copy.

--
Bob McGowan

Old 05-10-2011, 09:33 PM
Chris Davies

Gorka <gorkalinux@yahoo.es> wrote:
> I have got Ubuntu 11.04 installed on my pendrive. In /ME folder I have
> got some files.bin to upgrade the BIOS an so.
> The problem is that I can't execute them. It says I have no
> permissions.These are 7001 (last number refers back to the sticky bit)
> I'm trying to set 'sudo chmod 777 *', but I can't.

Gorka <gorkalinux@yahoo.es> wrote:
> I have formated with FAT32 and then followed these instructions ...
> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

There's nothing in there, that I can see, that refers to upgrading the BIOS.

The filesystem containing /ME is FAT. On FAT filesystems chmod doesn't
do what many people expect - and that's what's happening in this
case. Permission bits are mostly faked, so you either need to remount
the filesystem to provide execute permission (see mount(1) and its "mode"
keyword) or else copy the files out of the /ME filesystem onto a fully
functional filesystem, such as one built as ext3.

Chris