Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Markus Neviadomski

Default SATA Harddisk order in debian squeeze

Hello list,

i have a really annoying problem with my small NAS system. I used a Kontron 986 Board with ULV-Celeron CPU, running 3 SATA-drives in Raid 5 for a couple of years. I used kernel 2.6.23 since, 3 or 4 months ago, because this was the latest kernel at the time i installed the system. The OS (debian lenny-beta i think) was running from CF-Card, mounted as /dev/hda. The md-raid was assembled from /dev/sda, sdb, sdc and workes fine.

3 or 4 months ago i want to upgrade the raid with more disk space and installed sata disk 4 as spare drive. Doing maintainance on the box, i upgraded to latest bios-firmware und does an dist-upgrade to lenny with kernel 2.6.32. All was running fine, but cf-card was mounted as /dev/sda! That was no problem i thought, while all sata-drives are available as /dev/sdb, etc...

Now i rebooted the box and the raid was degraded!? Waht happended? The CF-Card is available as /dev/sde and all disks are counted from /dev/sda! At every reboot the order is changing and i dont know why!
In Bios, the SATA-Ports are set to AHCI and the Init-Order ist PATA before SATA. That seems right, but the behavior changes at every reboot.

-> I dont know if this is a BIOS-problem (I created a support request at Kontron, but not still any answer from there) or causes the linux kernel this problem?

-> Is it possible to organize the /dev/sd* order by udev or so on? Can i create a rule to use the cf-card ALWAYS as /dev/sda?

Do you have any ideas?

Kind regards,
Markus

Markus Neviadomski
Mail: mn@dieitexperten.de

PC-Dienst Dankmarshausen | Am Bahnhof 3 | 99837 Dankmarshausen
Tel: +49(0)36922 42708 | Fax: +49(0)36922 428390 | Mobil: +49(0)160 6522204
GPG: 0xF5226EB5 | WWW: www.dieitexperten.de | UST-ID: DE226126578

Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 AM
Stan Hoeppner