Old 05-10-2011, 04:57 AM
shawn wilson

Default Defending yourself

On May 10, 2011 12:34 AM, "Ron Johnson" <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 05/09/2011 11:00 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:

> [snip]

>> This must be the most spam infested mailing list I have subscribed to,

>> and I am only subscribed for half a day, 3 or 4 spam emails in about 8

>> hours. Has this list list been forgotten by its maintainer(s)?

> Aren't you running your own spam filter? *Defense In Depth (Debian's filter, my ISP's filter and my own filter) means that usually zero spams per week make it to my D-U folder,

Ya know, I use gmail and I thought they had a decent spam filter. However since I've started reading mailing lists about a year ago, I've gotten tons more spam.

I appreciate you not continuing that thread with your reply as the person you're replying to did though. Thanks.

To Ron Johnson, do you always reply to spam or just when a thousand plus people see it? (That's a rhetorical question btw)

Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 AM
Ron Johnson

To Ron Johnson, do you always reply to spam or just when a thousand plus
people see it? (That's a rhetorical question btw)

I don't understand your question.

corrupt."

Archive: 4DC8C7D0.9030000@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DC8C7D0.9030000@cox.net

Old 05-10-2011, 05:26 AM
shawn wilson

On May 10, 2011 1:06 AM, "Ron Johnson" <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 05/09/2011 11:57 PM, shawn wilson wrote:

> [snip]

>> To Ron Johnson, do you always reply to spam or just when a thousand plus

>> people see it? (That's a rhetorical question btw)

> I don't understand your question.

Wrong person - meant Aaron. (Note to self - call someone out, confirm the name)

Old 05-10-2011, 05:27 AM
shawn wilson

On May 10, 2011 1:26 AM, "shawn wilson" <ag4ve.us@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 10, 2011 1:06 AM, "Ron Johnson" <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> > On 05/09/2011 11:57 PM, shawn wilson wrote:

> > [snip]

> >> To Ron Johnson, do you always reply to spam or just when a thousand plus

> >> people see it? (That's a rhetorical question btw)

> > I don't understand your question.

> Wrong person - meant Aaron. (Note to self - call someone out, confirm the name)

s/Aaron/Aart/

Old 05-10-2011, 06:05 AM
Tom Furie

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 01:27:55AM -0400, shawn wilson wrote:
> > Wrong person - meant Aaron. (Note to self - call someone out, confirm the
> name)
>
> s/Aaron/Aart/

Ahem, don't you mean Jeroen? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Cheers,
Tom

Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 AM
Jeroen van Aart

Tom Furie wrote:

Ahem, don't you mean Jeroen? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yeah me, thanks. :-)

Thing is, normally I see little to no spam from a mailing list. That's
because they're managed in such a way spam hasn't got a chance of
getting through.

The other thing is, it's not so much about me as an individual filtering
the spam. It's that since the spam was sent to the list the damage
already has been done and all the subscribers got it, for example that's
a 100 or 1000 times more bandwidth wasted than if it was sent to me
personally. That's one of the reasons why careful and proper abuse
management and prevention is rather important especially for mailing lists.

Spam sent to mailing lists shouldn't be filtered at the receiving side,
the subscriber, but at the sending side, the mailing list software.
Hence my original question if this list was forgotten by its maintainer(s).

I apologise for furthering the spammer's thread.

I'd be greatly indebted if someone could answer the original question I
posted about gnome stock items, or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Jeroen

--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html

Archive: 4DC8E8A7.9080804@mompl.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DC8E8A7.9080804@mompl.net

Old 05-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Ron Johnson

Ahem, don't you mean Jeroen? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yeah me, thanks. :-)

Thing is, normally I see little to no spam from a mailing list. That's
because they're managed in such a way spam hasn't got a chance of
getting through.

Debian mailing lists are "open".

Spam sent to mailing lists shouldn't be filtered at the receiving side,
the subscriber, but at the sending side, the mailing list software.
Hence my original question if this list was forgotten by its maintainer(s).

Not forgotten, but a consequence of the policy decision to let Debian
lists be open.

corrupt."

Archive: 4DC8F457.7030604@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DC8F457.7030604@cox.net

Old 05-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Jeroen van Aart

Ron Johnson wrote:
Not forgotten, but a consequence of the policy decision to let Debian
lists be open.

I question the wisdom of that decision. There are ways to, on the one
hand not hinder openness much at all and on the other hand prevent spam
from getting through to the list.

The impact of a single spam email reaching a mailing list has a bigger
impact than the same spam email sent to an individual.

Greetings,
Jeroen

--

Archive: 4DC9A33A.8050303@mompl.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DC9A33A.8050303@mompl.net

Old 05-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Ron Johnson

Not forgotten, but a consequence of the policy decision to let Debian
lists be open.

I question the wisdom of that decision. There are ways to, on the one
hand not hinder openness much at all and on the other hand prevent spam
from getting through to the list.

The impact of a single spam email reaching a mailing list has a bigger
impact than the same spam email sent to an individual.

You're getting *for free* stupendous amounts of bandwidth and the
results of hundreds of thousands of man-hours of labor.

So, you have 3 choices:
1) Buy Windows.
2) Use another distro.
3) Shut up and be grateful.

corrupt."

Archive: 4DC9A8EC.3070802@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DC9A8EC.3070802@cox.net

Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 PM
Miles Fidelman

Ron Johnson wrote:
You're getting *for free* stupendous amounts of bandwidth and the
results of hundreds of thousands of man-hours of labor.

So, you have 3 choices:
1) Buy Windows.
2) Use another distro.
3) Shut up and be grateful.

:-)

+1

In<fnord> practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra