Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Jeroen van Aart

Default Upgrade to squeeze some menu stock items disappeared

After I upgraded from lenny to squeeze applets as well as the default
gnome menus in the panel don't show (some) stock items anymore. I am
talking about things suchs as
http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/2.24/gtk-Stock-Items.html#GTK-STOCK-REFRESH:CAPS

This actually also appears to happen with a vanilla squeeze install.

I have been unable to find much information as to why this happens
neither do I know exactly which package is at fault so I haven't filed a
bug about it.

I have tried various things such as using different icon themes and
change the appearance preferences, even changing the source code of an
applet I wrote myself. Neither helps much or at all, but I am able to
get an icon in the "lock to panel" menu item with some appearance/icon
theme configurations. Which seems a bit odd since I normally never see
an icon for that particular menu item.

Any ideas on how I can fix this or where can I find more information?
Is this a problem with upstream gnome?

Thanks,
Jeroen

--
http://goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/plural-of-virus.html

Archive: 4DC84015.2080108@mompl.net">http://lists.debian.org/4DC84015.2080108@mompl.net

Old 05-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Liam O'Toole

On 2011-05-09, Jeroen van Aart <jeroen@mompl.net> wrote:
> After I upgraded from lenny to squeeze applets as well as the default
> gnome menus in the panel don't show (some) stock items anymore. I am
> talking about things suchs as
> http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/2.24/gtk-Stock-Items.html#GTK-STOCK-REFRESH:CAPS
>
> This actually also appears to happen with a vanilla squeeze install.
>
> I have been unable to find much information as to why this happens
> neither do I know exactly which package is at fault so I haven't filed a
> bug about it.
>
> I have tried various things such as using different icon themes and
> change the appearance preferences, even changing the source code of an
> applet I wrote myself. Neither helps much or at all, but I am able to
> get an icon in the "lock to panel" menu item with some appearance/icon
> theme configurations. Which seems a bit odd since I normally never see
> an icon for that particular menu item.
>
> Any ideas on how I can fix this or where can I find more information?
> Is this a problem with upstream gnome?
>
> Thanks,
> Jeroen

Menu icons are disabled by default in recent GNOME releases. Check the
value of the gconf key /desktop/gnome/interface/menus_have_icons.

--
Liam O'Toole
Cork, Ireland

Old 05-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Jeroen van Aart

Liam O'Toole wrote:

Menu icons are disabled by default in recent GNOME releases. Check the
value of the gconf key /desktop/gnome/interface/menus_have_icons.

Thank you for pointing out that key. I enabled it which fixed the issue.
I remember having searched the gconf-editor but must have overlooked
this one.

Greetings,
Jeroen