-   -   How to install using apt-get from local .deb files without Internet OR how to bypass sudo apt-get update (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/524175-how-install-using-apt-get-local-deb-files-without-internet-how-bypass-sudo-apt-get-update.html)

Narendra Sisodiya 05-09-2011 05:01 PM

How to install using apt-get from local .deb files without Internet OR how to bypass sudo apt-get update

I recently created a offline installer.. Β*debbundle..Β*I got a bug in it..Let me explain the process..
See code ->Β*http://code.google.com/p/debbundle/source/browse/trunk/OneClickInstall_Deb_Creator?spec=svn10&r=10

To install vim-gtk, I am first downloading all deb package (and not installing it.)
mkdir -p vim-gtk
mkdir -p vim-gtk/partial
sudo apt-get -y -o dir::cache::archives=./vim-gtk install --download-only vim-gtk
sudo rmΒ*vim-gtk/lock
Now I am copying this folder and another system which do not have Internet..
so on system 2, I am running following commands..

cd /media/usbdrive/vim-gtksudo apt-get -y -o dir::cache::archives=/media/usbdrive/vim-gtkΒ*install vim-gtk

This is not installing vim-gtk on second system which is just freshly installed.

InitiallyΒ*when I created this project few days back, I was using same machine as build-server and install-test server. SO i was not getting this error//
Source of Error : basically, a freshly installed system do not have -- sudo apt-get update
If I run sudo apt-get update command then I command will work..So basically, on a freshly installed system one has to apply "sudo apt-get install update" in order to install some package. How I can bypass this because my second machine do not have Internet.

Let me know if anybody want any more clarity.

--
β”Œβ”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β” €β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”
β”‚Β* Β* Narendra Sisodiya

β”‚Β* Β* http://narendrasisodiya.com
└───────────────┠€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”€β”˜

Bjψrn Michelsen 05-09-2011 11:09 PM

How to install using apt-get from local .deb files without Internet OR how to bypass sudo apt-get update

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 10:31:14PM +0530, Narendra Sisodiya wrote:

Hey there,

(...)

> To install vim-gtk, I am first downloading all deb package (and not
> installing it.)
>
> mkdir -p vim-gtk
> mkdir -p vim-gtk/partial
> sudo apt-get -y -o dir::cache::archives=./vim-gtk install --download-only vim-gtk
> sudo rm vim-gtk/lock
>
> Now I am copying this folder and another system which do not have Internet..
>
> so on system 2, I am running following commands..
>
> cd /media/usbdrive/vim-gtk
> sudo apt-get -y -o dir::cache::archives=/media/usbdrive/vim-gtk install
> vim-gtk

Try

dpkg -i /media/usbdrive/vim-gtk/packagename.deb

You may also be interested in gdebi-core which "lets you install local
deb packages resolving and installing its dependencies. apt does the
same, but only for remote (http, ftp) located packages" (from the
package description).

Did that work?

--
Sincerely,
Bjorn Michelsen

Alan Greenberger 05-10-2011 01:11 PM

On 2011-05-09, Narendra Sisodiya <narendra@narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:

> To install vim-gtk, I am first downloading all deb package (and not
> installing it.)
>
> mkdir -p vim-gtk
> mkdir -p vim-gtk/partial
> sudo apt-get -y -o dir::cache::archives=3D./vim-gtk install --download-only
> vim-gtk
> sudo rm vim-gtk/lock
>
> Now I am copying this folder and another system which do not have Internet.=
> .
>
> so on system 2, I am running following commands..
>
> cd /media/usbdrive/vim-gtk

Use dpkg-scanpackages (which is in package dpkg-dev). See
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-basico.en.html#s-dpkg-scanpackages

Try adding line:
deb file:/media/usbdrive vim-gtk/
to /etc/apt/sources.list . Then in /media/usbdrive as root type:
dpkg-scanpackages vim-gtk /dev/null | gzip > vim-gtk/Packages.gz
aptitude update

Then you can use aptitude to install the packages.