Old 05-09-2011, 12:20 PM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Default no network after hibernate

I am using Debian squeeze on Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop.

When I boot from scratch, the network works fine. However, if I do "sudo
hibernate" and reboot, the network does not come up automatically. I have to
do "/etc/init.d/networking restart" every time I resume from hibernation. It
works after that.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to rectify this?

$cat /etc/network/interfaces | grep -v ^# | grep -v ^$
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-conf managed
wpa-ssid <munge1>
wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
wpa-psk <munge2>

Here are the relevant (I think) stanza's on network configuration from lshw

*-network
product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 02
serial: 00:13:02:9e:cc:1b
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet
physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 ip=192.168.1.21
latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
resources: irq:27 memory:dfcff000-dfcfffff

*-network DISABLED
product: BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 02
serial: 00:15:c5:19:9c:1a
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical mii
10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=b44
driverversion=2.0 latency=64 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:17 memory:df9fe000-df9fffff

thanks
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 05-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Klistvud

[...]

Unless you want to set up a custom script for bringing the network up
after resuming from hibernation, there are wicd (highly recommended) or
network-manager who will both do what you're after. At least one of the
two AFAIR also has a companion package for console work (if you need it
for an X-less environment).

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Brian

On Mon 09 May 2011 at 08:20:00 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

> $cat /etc/network/interfaces | grep -v ^# | grep -v ^$
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> auto wlan0
> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
> wpa-conf managed
> wpa-ssid <munge1>
> wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
> wpa-psk <munge2>

I think the wpasupplicant/ifupdown framework does not support the option
'wpa-conf managed'. Remove it and see how you go on.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:15 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Brian wrote:

> On Mon 09 May 2011 at 08:20:00 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
>
>> $cat /etc/network/interfaces | grep -v ^# | grep -v ^$
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>> auto wlan0
>> iface wlan0 inet dhcp
>> wpa-conf managed
>> wpa-ssid <munge1>
>> wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK
>> wpa-psk <munge2>
>
> I think the wpasupplicant/ifupdown framework does not support the option
> 'wpa-conf managed'. Remove it and see how you go on.

I removed the 'wpa-conf managed' line from the interfaces file. The problem
still remains. Any other suggestions?

thanks

Old 05-10-2011, 04:43 AM
shawn wilson

> Brian wrote:

> > On Mon 09 May 2011 at 08:20:00 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

> >> $cat /etc/network/interfaces | grep -v ^# | grep -v ^$

> >> auto lo

> >> iface lo inet loopback

> >> auto wlan0

> >> iface wlan0 inet dhcp

> >> wpa-conf managed

> >> wpa-ssid <munge1>

> >> wpa-key-mgmt WPA-PSK

> >> wpa-psk <munge2>

> > I think the wpasupplicant/ifupdown framework does not support the option

> > 'wpa-conf managed'. *Remove it and see how you go on.

> I removed the 'wpa-conf managed' line from the interfaces file. The problem

> still remains. Any other suggestions?

I remember from windows a few years back (5+) I had issues with some Compaq and HP (separate companies' logos on the box then) desktops nics waking up from sleep in Windows. Different OS obviously but, pretty much if the machine went to sleep, the onboard nic wouldn't wake up without a hard shutdown and boot.

Under linux, you've got a few more options than I had (obviously ) but that might be your issue. Try doing an lspci after and see if it pops up. Look at the card status under proc and see if that shows anything. Lastly, I think modprobe has an 'omg, nuts to bolts, reload this driver' option you might try.

HTH

Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Brian

On Tue 10 May 2011 at 00:15:59 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

> I removed the 'wpa-conf managed' line from the interfaces file. The problem
> still remains. Any other suggestions?

You imply the problem exists every time you resume. Examine the logs
(syslog, for example) to see what is happening with wpa_supplicant after
suspend/hiberate and try to figure out whether it is doing the right
thing and why the wireless connection is not established.

The kernel module for the wireless device could be at fault. Search for
any reported bugs against it.