Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Ijon Tichy

Default Single mouse click registers as double click

Hi.

I've had this problem (a single mouse click being considered as double
click) from quite a long time (almost two years) in two different
computers, and unfortunately I couldn't solve it yet.

Searching through Google and (of course) the Debian mailing lists, I found that:

(1) it seems to be a quite old bug, and
(2) there are several ways to "solve" it (mainly aiming some
modification of xorg.conf).

Unfortunately, as I said before, none of those solutions worked for
me, so I finally decided to reinstall Debian (using a weekly-build)
two months ago. But the problem persists (in both computers). I even
tried a live Knoppix to check out whether the problem was also present
there or not (it was; not surprising, considering that Knoppix is
based on Debian, of course).

So the question is: does anyone know whether there is a solution for this bug?

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions.

Cheers,
Miguel

pd By the way, I don't have xorg.conf anymore.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Lisi

On Monday 09 May 2011 13:01:18 Ijon Tichy wrote:
> I've had this problem (a single mouse click being considered as double
> click) from quite a long time (almost two years) in two different
> computers,

That's not a bug, that's a feature! It is Windows that has the bug with all
those double-clicks.

Lisi

Old 05-09-2011, 02:10 PM
godo

I've had this problem (a single mouse click being considered as double
click) from quite a long time (almost two years) in two different
computers,

That's not a bug, that's a feature! It is Windows that has the bug with all
those double-clicks.

Lisi

+1 That's one of linux options make me excited after trying him first time.
But if you wont change on 2x click you can do it somewhere in options.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

Archive: 4DC7F5C6.6020608@dobosevic.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC7F5C6.6020608@dobosevic.com

Old 05-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Brad Rogers

On Mon, 9 May 2011 15:02:30 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Lisi,

> That's not a bug, that's a feature! It is Windows that has the bug
> with all those double-clicks.

And in KDE is configurable. Probably in other DEs, too.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 05-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Ijon Tichy

Hi again

>>> I've had this problem (a single mouse click being considered as double
>>> click) from quite a long time (almost two years) in two different
>>> computers,
>>
>> That's not a bug, that's a feature! *It is Windows that has the bug with
>> all
>> those double-clicks.
>>
>> Lisi
>>

> +1 That's one of linux options make me excited after trying him first time.
> But if you wont change on 2x click you can do it somewhere in options.

OK, I see I haven't explained myself properly

I know the feature you talk about. But I'm talking about (random)
single clicks being considered by the system as (undesidered) double
clicks ("random" because it doesn't happen all the time). By the way,
I forgot to mention that it happens with both left and right buttons.

In fact, it's a bug quite annoying:

http://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/search?query=mouse+double+click&DEFAULTOP=and&auth or=&sort=relevance&HITSPERPAGE=10&language=en

Thanks anyway for your replies.

Cheers.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 09 May 2011 15:11:24 +0100, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Mon, 9 May 2011 15:02:30 +0100
> Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Lisi,
>
>> That's not a bug, that's a feature! It is Windows that has the bug
>> with all those double-clicks.
>
> And in KDE is configurable. Probably in other DEs, too.

Sure! In GNOME (as in Windows) you can also configure that by going to
"Nautilus/Edit/Preferences/Behavior/[·] Double click to activate items".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Darac Marjal

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 02:01:18PM +0200, Ijon Tichy wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've had this problem (a single mouse click being considered as double
> click) from quite a long time (almost two years) in two different
> computers, and unfortunately I couldn't solve it yet.
>
> Searching through Google and (of course) the Debian mailing lists, I found that:
>
> (1) it seems to be a quite old bug, and
> (2) there are several ways to "solve" it (mainly aiming some
> modification of xorg.conf).
>
> Unfortunately, as I said before, none of those solutions worked for
> me, so I finally decided to reinstall Debian (using a weekly-build)
> two months ago. But the problem persists (in both computers). I even
> tried a live Knoppix to check out whether the problem was also present
> there or not (it was; not surprising, considering that Knoppix is
> based on Debian, of course).
>
> So the question is: does anyone know whether there is a solution for this bug?

Might it be the case that Xorg is detecting your mouse twice? Have a
look through /var/log/Xorg.0.log for lines containing "XINPUT:". You
should find at least one that states "Adding input device "Your Mouse"
(type: MOUSE)". If there are two (or more) that may be the cause of your
problem; Xorg sees two mice and sees them both clicking.

To fix that, you probably need to tell Xorg not to auto-add devices and
then you'll need to manually configure your device.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:11 PM
godo

OK, I see I haven't explained myself properly

I know the feature you talk about. But I'm talking about (random)
single clicks being considered by the system as (undesidered) double
clicks ("random" because it doesn't happen all the time). By the way,
I forgot to mention that it happens with both left and right buttons.

In fact, it's a bug quite annoying:

http://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/search?query=mouse+double+click&DEFAULTOP=and&auth or=&sort=relevance&HITSPERPAGE=10&language=en

Thanks anyway for your replies.

Cheers.

Oh, sorry for misunderstanding.

--

Archive: 4DC80407.5080007@dobosevic.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC80407.5080007@dobosevic.com

Old 05-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Ijon Tichy

2011/5/9 godo <goran@dobosevic.com>:

>> OK, I see I haven't explained myself properly
>>
>> I know the feature you talk about. But I'm talking about (random)
>> single clicks being considered by the system as (undesidered) double
>> clicks ("random" because it doesn't happen all the time). By the way,
>> I forgot to mention that it happens with both left and right buttons.
>>
>> In fact, it's a bug quite annoying:
>>

>> http://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/search?query=mouse+double+click&DEFAULTOP=and&auth or=&sort=relevance&HITSPERPAGE=10&language=en
>>
>> Thanks anyway for your replies.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

> Oh, sorry for misunderstanding.

No problem, it was my fault for not being clear enough

Old 05-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Ijon Tichy

>> So the question is: does anyone know whether there is a solution for this bug?
>
> Might it be the case that Xorg is detecting your mouse twice? Have a
> look through /var/log/Xorg.0.log for lines containing "XINPUT:". You
> should find at least one that states "Adding input device "Your Mouse"
> (type: MOUSE)". If there are two (or more) that may be the cause of your
> problem; Xorg sees two mice and sees them both clicking.

Thanks for the help.

Here's what I get from "less /var/log/Xorg.0.log | egrep -i XINPUT":

[ 19.013] X.Org XInput driver : 11.0
[ 19.648] (II) Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
[ 20.707] Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
[ 20.707] ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 11.0
[ 20.708] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button"
(type: KEYBOARD)
[ 20.857] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Power Button"
(type: KEYBOARD)
[ 20.866] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "AT Translated
Set 2 keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
[ 20.868] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "ImPS/2 Generic
Wheel Mouse" (type: MOUSE)

Just one line for the mouse, so maybe that's not the problem.