Old 05-09-2011, 11:45 AM
AG

Default Is the Menu key used for anything in Debian?

On 09/05/11 12:20, Dotan Cohen wrote:

Windows keyboards come with a Menu key to the right of the spacebar.
Is this key used for anything in Debian? I can find no use for it
whatsoever so I am considering mapping it to something more useful.

Thanks.

Not that I am aware of. I have it mapped to bring up a terminal window
(konsole) which is really handy. The ease of doing so may vary
depending on the DE/WM you are using though.

HTH

AG

Archive: 4DC7D3CC.7050801@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC7D3CC.7050801@gmail.com

Old 05-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Brad Rogers

On Mon, 9 May 2011 14:20:10 +0300
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Dotan,

> Windows keyboards come with a Menu key to the right of the spacebar.
> Is this key used for anything in Debian? I can find no use for it

It'll be the DE that sets this, not Debian, per se. Here, it brings up
the RMB context menu for whatever has focus. Setting the correct
keyboard layout may be required, too.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 05-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 14:56, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
> It'll be the DE that sets this, not Debian, per se. *Here, it brings up
> the RMB context menu for whatever has focus. *Setting the correct
> keyboard layout may be required, too.

True. I suppose if I have gotten this far with never using it then I
can sacrifice it. I just don't want to paint myself into a corner by
removing a feature that I may some day want (Like OpenSUSE removing
CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Dotan Cohen

Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
David Jardine

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 02:20:10PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Windows keyboards come with a Menu key to the right of the spacebar.
> Is this key used for anything in Debian? I can find no use for it
> whatsoever so I am considering mapping it to something more useful.

In _text_ mode I have it mapped to AltLock and haven't noticed any
undesirable consequences. X may be a different story.

Cheers,
David

Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
David Jardine

Old 05-09-2011, 01:56 PM
Brad Rogers

On Mon, 9 May 2011 15:52:20 +0300
Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Dotan,

> True. I suppose if I have gotten this far with never using it then I
> can sacrifice it. I just don't want to paint myself into a corner by

Probably. TBH, I rarely use the menu key as it's set up here. I keep
forgetting it.

> removing a feature that I may some day want (Like OpenSUSE removing
> CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE).

Hmmm. Can it be re-enabled by altering/creating the relevant section in
xorg.conf, perhaps?

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
The public wants what the public gets
Going Underground - The Jam

Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Dotan Cohen

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 16:56, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
> Hmmm. *Can it be re-enabled by altering/creating the relevant section in
> xorg.conf, perhaps?

Actually, I'm just going to eliminate it in my custom ergonomic keyboard layout:
http://dotancohen.com/eng/noah_ergonomic_keyboard_layout.html

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Dotan Cohen

for the same matter, does anybody know of a use for the Scroll Lock
and Pause/Break keys? If I get rid of those keys, into what type of
corner will I be painting myself? I've never used them, but if anybody
does, in any environment, I'd really like to know.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il