Old 05-09-2011, 04:02 AM
Peter Bonucci

Default Booting a USB hard drive

I have installed Debian onto a USB hard drive and would like to boot to the
disk and run Debian.

When I try to boot directly to this disk, my laptop tries to perform a network
boot. This normal for this laptop when it can't find the boot device.

The laptop uses the grub2 bootloader. When I boot the laptop and put grub
into the command mode, "ls" does not list the USB drive.

How can I run Debian from this disk? I could use a boot CD, but it looks like
grub doesn't see the drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Peter

Old 05-09-2011, 05:17 AM
Klaus Wolf

Sorry,

I think that this is not a debian related problem, The BIOS of
your Laptop has to bi figured to use the USB-Drive for boot.

so long

klaus

Old 05-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Peter Bonucci

On Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:17:47 pm Klaus Wolf wrote:
> Sorry,
>
> I think that this is not a debian related problem, The BIOS of
> your Laptop has to bi figured to use the USB-Drive for boot.
>
> so long
>
> klaus

The BIOS of this computer boots from all of my other USB drives. The problem
is this particular drive model (Western Digital My Passport Essential.)

Booting a USB drive when the drive and computer don't cooperate is an old
problem. People solved it under Debian years ago. I just don't know how they
solved it and search engines didn't help.

Peter

Old 05-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 09 May 2011 09:02:45 -0700, Peter Bonucci wrote:

> On Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:17:47 pm Klaus Wolf wrote:

>> I think that this is not a debian related problem, The BIOS of your
>> Laptop has to bi figured to use the USB-Drive for boot.
>>

> The BIOS of this computer boots from all of my other USB drives. The
> problem is this particular drive model (Western Digital My Passport
> Essential.)
>
> Booting a USB drive when the drive and computer don't cooperate is an
> old problem. People solved it under Debian years ago. I just don't
> know how they solved it and search engines didn't help.

There shouldn't be any mistery for this. If the BIOS is capable of
booting from a USB device but the drive where Debian has been installed
is bypassed by the BIOS, I would check that:

1/ GRUB is installed into the MBR of the USB disk.

2/ Partition where "/boot" is installed is marked with the bootable flag
(if there is no dedicated partition for "/boot", then "/" should be the
one to be marked).

3/ The system can be properly booted from an external source (i.e., using
a LiveCD of SuperGrubDisk).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 PM
Peter Bonucci

On Monday, May 09, 2011 10:25:44 am Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2011 09:02:45 -0700, Peter Bonucci wrote:
> > On Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:17:47 pm Klaus Wolf wrote:
> >> I think that this is not a debian related problem, The BIOS of your
> >> Laptop has to bi figured to use the USB-Drive for boot.
> >
> > The BIOS of this computer boots from all of my other USB drives. The
> > problem is this particular drive model (Western Digital My Passport
> > Essential.)
> >
> > Booting a USB drive when the drive and computer don't cooperate is an
> > old problem. People solved it under Debian years ago. I just don't
> > know how they solved it and search engines didn't help.
>
> There shouldn't be any mistery for this. If the BIOS is capable of
> booting from a USB device but the drive where Debian has been installed
> is bypassed by the BIOS, I would check that:
>
> 1/ GRUB is installed into the MBR of the USB disk.

I believe I did this while installing Debian on the USB drive. How can I
verify it?

> 2/ Partition where "/boot" is installed is marked with the bootable flag
> (if there is no dedicated partition for "/boot", then "/" should be the
> one to be marked).

Already done. The "/" directory is marked boot.

> 3/ The system can be properly booted from an external source (i.e., using
> a LiveCD of SuperGrubDisk).

The laptop boots from its own hard disk.

Under SuperGrubDisk, "List devices/partitions", Grub doesn't see the USB
drive. None of the other options boot the drive.

Selecting the experimental USB support doesn't seem to change anything.

> Greetings,

Thank you for your help,

Peter

Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 PM

On Sunday, May 08, 2011 10:17:47 pm Klaus Wolf wrote:
> Sorry,
>
> I think that this is not a debian related problem, The BIOS of
> your Laptop has to bi figured to use the USB-Drive for boot.
>
> so long
>
> klaus

The BIOS of this computer boots from all of my other USB drives. The problem
is this particular drive model (Western Digital My Passport Essential.)

Booting a USB drive when the drive and computer don't cooperate is an old
problem. People solved it under Debian years ago. I just don't know how they
solved it and search engines didn't help.

Peter
IIRC this WD is "special" (in a not-nice way).* In order to use it on some O/S other than windoz you have to remove the hidden partition with WDs "special" program and reformat the drive.*

Larry

Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Arno Schuring

Peter Bonucci (peter.bonucci@verizon.net on 2011-05-09 13:21 -0700):
> On Monday, May 09, 2011 10:25:44 am Camaleón wrote:
> > >
> > > The BIOS of this computer boots from all of my other USB drives.
> > > The problem is this particular drive model (Western Digital My
> > > Passport Essential.)
> > >
> > > Booting a USB drive when the drive and computer don't cooperate
> > > is an old problem. People solved it under Debian years ago. I
> > > just don't know how they solved it and search engines didn't help.
Slightly offtopic, but I feel the urge to correct you here: the
bootloader is for its disk I/O completely dependent on what the bios
provides. Therefore, if the bios does not provide int13 services for
USB disks (and older bioses didn't), there is nothing the bootloader
can do about it, except loading its own USB drivers.

Now that isn't the case here, because other disks boot fine. But it's
not a problem that's been "solved in Debian".

> > There shouldn't be any mistery for this. If the BIOS is capable of
> > booting from a USB device but the drive where Debian has been
> > installed is bypassed by the BIOS, I would check that:
> >
> > 1/ GRUB is installed into the MBR of the USB disk.
>
> I believe I did this while installing Debian on the USB drive. How
> can I verify it?
$ file -s /dev/sdX
where X is your usb drive. If GRUB2 is installed in the MBR, you should
see "x86 boot sector; GRand Unified Bootloader, stage1" or something
like that. Don't know if grub-legacy has a similar signature.

> > 2/ Partition where "/boot" is installed is marked with the bootable
> > flag (if there is no dedicated partition for "/boot", then "/"
> > should be the one to be marked).
As an aside: this is hardly ever necessary. Grub does not use the
active (bootable) flag for anything. The MS-DOS bootloader does use the
active flag, so you need it if grub is NOT installed in the mbr. And in
that case, the partition onto which grub is installed should be marked
active.

> > 3/ The system can be properly booted from an external source (i.e.,
> > using a LiveCD of SuperGrubDisk).
>
> The laptop boots from its own hard disk.
not an external source. But you already indicated that other USB
disks work fine.

> Under SuperGrubDisk, "List devices/partitions", Grub doesn't see the
> USB drive. None of the other options boot the drive.
How do you boot SGB? From the internal drive, or another usb
stick/netboot? Because if it's not via USB, it's not too surprising
that usb support is not loaded by the bios.

> Selecting the experimental USB support doesn't seem to change
> anything.
laptops are not known for their strict adherence to hardware standards,
so this isn't very surprising. Do you have a USB Legacy option in your
bios? It might help in this case (although it's primarily meant for
input devices, not disks)

Good luck,
Arno

Old 05-10-2011, 12:13 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 09 May 2011 13:21:20 -0700, Peter Bonucci wrote:

> On Monday, May 09, 2011 10:25:44 am Camaleón wrote:

>> > Booting a USB drive when the drive and computer don't cooperate is an
>> > old problem. People solved it under Debian years ago. I just don't
>> > know how they solved it and search engines didn't help.
>>
>> There shouldn't be any mistery for this. If the BIOS is capable of
>> booting from a USB device but the drive where Debian has been installed
>> is bypassed by the BIOS, I would check that:
>>
>> 1/ GRUB is installed into the MBR of the USB disk.
>
> I believe I did this while installing Debian on the USB drive. How can
> I verify it?

Last time I needed to know where was GRUB installed I used:

dd if=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 | od -a | grep G

(where "sda" is the disk of which MBR is to be queried)

>> 2/ Partition where "/boot" is installed is marked with the bootable
>> flag (if there is no dedicated partition for "/boot", then "/" should
>> be the one to be marked).
>
> Already done. The "/" directory is marked boot.

Fine. As Arno suggests this is not usually needed but is better to do it,
just in case.

>> 3/ The system can be properly booted from an external source (i.e.,
>> using a LiveCD of SuperGrubDisk).
>
> The laptop boots from its own hard disk.

Yep, but as GRUB2 is being bypassed, we need to know if there is any
problem with GRUB2, so we are checking if it's installed in the MBR and
also if it's properly installed on the partition.

> Under SuperGrubDisk, "List devices/partitions", Grub doesn't see the USB
> drive. None of the other options boot the drive.
>
> Selecting the experimental USB support doesn't seem to change anything.

How is that? It should be accesible by SGD :-?

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/USB_Boot

But I'm starting to think the problem may be on the Western Digital USB
drive, as you said you were only facing problems with this concrete USB
disk... Look, it seems there is one report on WD forums:

How to boot linux from My passport
http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/How-to-boot-linux-from-My-passport/td-p/74214

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-11-2011, 05:32 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 09 mai 11, 14:31:35, owens@netptc.net wrote:

> Peter
> IIRC this WD is "special" (in a not-nice way). In order to use it on
> some O/S other than windoz you have to remove the hidden partition
> with WDs "special" program and reformat the drive.

Maybe a 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=2M' would also do the trick, but
it will take a long time unless you add an apropiate 'count=X'.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 AM
Peter Bonucci

On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 05:13:46 am Camaleón wrote:

> >> There shouldn't be any mistery for this. If the BIOS is capable of
> >> booting from a USB device but the drive where Debian has been installed
> >> is bypassed by the BIOS, I would check that:
> >>
> >> 1/ GRUB is installed into the MBR of the USB disk.
> >
> > I believe I did this while installing Debian on the USB drive. How can
> > I verify it?
>
> Last time I needed to know where was GRUB installed I used:
>
> dd if=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1 | od -a | grep G
>
> (where "sda" is the disk of which MBR is to be queried)
>
> >> 2/ Partition where "/boot" is installed is marked with the bootable
> >> flag (if there is no dedicated partition for "/boot", then "/" should
> >> be the one to be marked).
> >
> > Already done. The "/" directory is marked boot.
>
> Fine. As Arno suggests this is not usually needed but is better to do it,
> just in case.
>
> >> 3/ The system can be properly booted from an external source (i.e.,
> >> using a LiveCD of SuperGrubDisk).
> >
> > The laptop boots from its own hard disk.
>
> Yep, but as GRUB2 is being bypassed, we need to know if there is any
> problem with GRUB2, so we are checking if it's installed in the MBR and
> also if it's properly installed on the partition.
>
> > Under SuperGrubDisk, "List devices/partitions", Grub doesn't see the USB
> > drive. None of the other options boot the drive.
> >
> > Selecting the experimental USB support doesn't seem to change anything.
>
> How is that? It should be accesible by SGD :-?
>
> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/wiki/USB_Boot
>
> But I'm starting to think the problem may be on the Western Digital USB
> drive, as you said you were only facing problems with this concrete USB
> disk... Look, it seems there is one report on WD forums:
>
> How to boot linux from My passport
> http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/How-to-boot-linux-from-My-pa
> ssport/td-p/74214
>
> Greetings,

This is where I am now:

As Larry suggested, I removed the virtual CD from the drive.
I reinstalled Debian on the USB drive.
SuperGrubDisk v1.98s1 does not see the drive, or any of 5 flash drives.
SuperGrubDisk v0.9977 does see the drive.
It reports the drive it as hd1 with a size of 0 K
It does see the 5 flash drives and reports the correct sizes.

file -s /dev/sdb returns:
/dev/sdb: x86 boot sector;
partition 1:
ID=0x83, active, starthead 32, startsector 2048, 488280064 sectors;
partition 2:
ID=0x82, starthead 254, startsector 488282112, 19531776 sectors;
partition 3:
ID=0x7, starthead 254, startsector 507813888, 468889600 sectors,
code offset 0x63

dd if=/dev/sdb ibs=512 count=1 | od -a | grep G returns:
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes (512 B) copied, 7.8496e-05 s, 6.5 MB/s
0000260 eot @ bs D del ht D stx G eot dle nul f vt rs
0000300 | f ht bs f vt rs ` | f ht ff G D
0000600 G R U B sp nul G e o m nul H a r d sp

Fdisk -l says:
Disk /dev/sdb: 500 GB, 500072348160 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60797 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 * 1 30395 244147806 83 Linux
Warning: Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sdb2 30395 31610 9759487 82 Linux swap
Warning: Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary.
/dev/sdb3 31610 60797 234444577 7 HPFS/NTFS
Warning: Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.

The USB Legacy option is enabled in the BIOS.

If grub is in the MBR for the USB drive shouldn't I be able to boot it?
Do you understand what is going on here?

Peter