Old 05-09-2011, 03:45 AM
Carl Johnson

Default Trying to reinstall exim4

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On 05/08/2011 07:55 PM, Carl Johnson wrote:
>> I was trying out postfix but I was unable to get it working the way I
>> wanted, so I tried to purge postfix and reinstall exim4. I used
>> aptitude to select postfix to purge and to install exim4, exim4-base,
>> exim4-config, and exim4-daemon-light. It seems to accept the
>> selections, but when it actually tries to install it, it gives the error
>> message:
>>
>> E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'exim4'. Please see
>> man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)
>>
>> I dropped the statement 'APT::Immediate-Configure "off";' into a file
>> in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d, but it still won't install exim4. Does anybody
>> have any idea what I am doing wrong, and what I can do to install exim?
>> I am running this on a squeeze system.
>
> What *exact* command did you run?

I used the curses interface to aptitude, so I just told it to install
exim4 and remove postfix. I just tried a command line equivalent as
follows:

# aptitude install postfix- exim4+ exim4-base+ exim4-config+ exim4-daemon-light+
exim4 exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-light
The following packages will be REMOVED:
postfix
0 packages upgraded, 4 newly installed, 1 to remove and 32 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/2,087 kB of archives. After unpacking 651 kB will be used.
E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'exim4'. Please see man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)

Thanks.
--
Carl Johnson carlj@peak.org

Old 05-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 08 May 2011 20:45:00 -0700, Carl Johnson wrote:

> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>
>> What *exact* command did you run?
>
> I used the curses interface to aptitude, so I just told it to install
> exim4 and remove postfix. I just tried a command line equivalent as
> follows:
>
> # aptitude install postfix- exim4+ exim4-base+ exim4-config+
> exim4-daemon-light+

(...)

Errr, just a *very wild guess*, but have you tried by directly install
Exim4 and let the package manager handles the situation by itself? I say
this because the system requires at least one mail agent (or akin MDA) to
be present so maybe the error is being generated from that.

Anyway, IIRC, as soon as you select the Exim package to be installed,
Postfix is automatically marked to be removed (and viceversa) :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Freeman

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 05:55:27PM -0700, Carl Johnson wrote:
> I was trying out postfix but I was unable to get it working the way I
> wanted, so I tried to purge postfix and reinstall exim4. I used
> aptitude to select postfix to purge and to install exim4, exim4-base,
> exim4-config, and exim4-daemon-light. It seems to accept the
> selections, but when it actually tries to install it, it gives the error
> message:
>
> E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'exim4'. Please see
> man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)
>
> I dropped the statement 'APT::Immediate-Configure "off";' into a file
> in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d, but it still won't install exim4. Does anybody
> have any idea what I am doing wrong, and what I can do to install exim?
> I am running this on a squeeze system.
>
> Thanks for any ideas.

What happens when you run

# dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

?

Freeman

"Microsoft is not the answer. Microsoft is the question. NO (or Linux) is the
answer." --Somebody

Old 05-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Carl Johnson

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 08 May 2011 20:45:00 -0700, Carl Johnson wrote:
>
>> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
>>
>>> What *exact* command did you run?
>>
>> I used the curses interface to aptitude, so I just told it to install
>> exim4 and remove postfix. I just tried a command line equivalent as
>> follows:
>>
>> # aptitude install postfix- exim4+ exim4-base+ exim4-config+
>> exim4-daemon-light+
>
> (...)
>
> Errr, just a *very wild guess*, but have you tried by directly install
> Exim4 and let the package manager handles the situation by itself? I say
> this because the system requires at least one mail agent (or akin MDA) to
> be present so maybe the error is being generated from that.
>
> Anyway, IIRC, as soon as you select the Exim package to be installed,
> Postfix is automatically marked to be removed (and viceversa) :-)

I hadn't tried it because I hadn't really trusted it, but you are
absolutely right. It automatically tries to do exactly what I specified
manually, but unfortunately the results and error are exactly the same.

Thanks for the suggestion.
--
Carl Johnson carlj@peak.org

Old 05-09-2011, 11:38 PM
Carl Johnson

Freeman <hewho7@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 05:55:27PM -0700, Carl Johnson wrote:
>> I was trying out postfix but I was unable to get it working the way I
>> wanted, so I tried to purge postfix and reinstall exim4. I used
>> aptitude to select postfix to purge and to install exim4, exim4-base,
>> exim4-config, and exim4-daemon-light. It seems to accept the
>> selections, but when it actually tries to install it, it gives the error
>> message:
>>
>> E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'exim4'. Please see
>> man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)
>>
>> I dropped the statement 'APT::Immediate-Configure "off";' into a file
>> in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d, but it still won't install exim4. Does anybody
>> have any idea what I am doing wrong, and what I can do to install exim?
>> I am running this on a squeeze system.
>>
>> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> What happens when you run
>
> # dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
>
> ?
It just reports that exim4-config is not installed.

Thanks for the suggestion.
--
Carl Johnson carlj@peak.org

Old 05-09-2011, 11:51 PM
Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson <carlj@peak.org> writes:

> I was trying out postfix but I was unable to get it working the way I
> wanted, so I tried to purge postfix and reinstall exim4. I used
> aptitude to select postfix to purge and to install exim4, exim4-base,
> exim4-config, and exim4-daemon-light. It seems to accept the
> selections, but when it actually tries to install it, it gives the error
> message:
>
> E: Could not perform immediate configuration on 'exim4'. Please see
> man 5 apt.conf under APT::Immediate-Configure for details. (2)
>
> I dropped the statement 'APT::Immediate-Configure "off";' into a file
> in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d, but it still won't install exim4. Does anybody
> have any idea what I am doing wrong, and what I can do to install exim?
> I am running this on a squeeze system.

After trying the other suggestion I decided that it was time to try some
desperate measures. I forced the removal of postfix without adding exim
(dpkg --force-depends -r postfix) and then added exim4 (aptitude install
exim4). The removal of postfix temporily broke the dependencies, but
exim4 was then able to install. I had already checked that exim was
completely gone, so I don't know what was causing the problem. This was
really a test system in VirtualBox so I wasn't too worried about
breaking it.

Thanks for the suggestions.
--
Carl Johnson carlj@peak.org