Old 05-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Camaleón

Default ReiserFS: "filesystem is not clean" after a kernel update

Hello,

Yesterday I updated the kernel to 2.6.38-2 on wheezy and now I get (at a
random basis) a warning about the ReiserFS filesystem "is not clean" when
booting.

Despite the boot message, there are no more indications of a filesystem
corruption and indeed, the system has been always being shutdown properly.

This is a Debian virtual machine (no raid volume nor LVM layout, it's a
pretty simple installation) that uses ReiserFS for the "/" partition but
AFAICT, this message was not present until yesterday that I upgraded the
kernel.

Any hints? Is this something known?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Yesterday I updated the kernel to 2.6.38-2 on wheezy and now I get (at a
random basis) a warning about the ReiserFS filesystem "is not clean" when
booting.

Despite the boot message, there are no more indications of a filesystem
corruption and indeed, the system has been always being shutdown properly.

This is a Debian virtual machine (no raid volume nor LVM layout, it's a
pretty simple installation) that uses ReiserFS for the "/" partition but
AFAICT, this message was not present until yesterday that I upgraded the
kernel.

Any hints? Is this something known?

Did you also upgrade the kernel in the underlying hypervisor? What
version is it?

Is the guest Wheezy kernel virtual machine aware?

An exact copy of the error in dmesg or syslog would be helpful.

Last, why haven't you migrated that guest (and all such systems) from
ReiserFS to EXT3/4? Hans is in prison. Reiser4 still isn't in
mainline. The number of eyes currently on Reiser3 code can easily be
counted on one person's fingers and toes, maybe just fingers...

--
Stan

Archive: 4DC6EF08.7090906@hardwarefreak.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC6EF08.7090906@hardwarefreak.com

Old 05-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 08 May 2011 14:29:12 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> On 5/8/2011 7:44 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Yesterday I updated the kernel to 2.6.38-2 on wheezy and now I get (at
>> a random basis) a warning about the ReiserFS filesystem "is not clean"
>> when booting.
>>
>> Despite the boot message, there are no more indications of a filesystem
>> corruption and indeed, the system has been always being shutdown
>> properly.
>>
>> This is a Debian virtual machine (no raid volume nor LVM layout, it's a
>> pretty simple installation) that uses ReiserFS for the "/" partition
>> but AFAICT, this message was not present until yesterday that I
>> upgraded the kernel.
>>
>> Any hints? Is this something known?
>
> Did you also upgrade the kernel in the underlying hypervisor? What
> version is it?
>
> Is the guest Wheezy kernel virtual machine aware?

Wheezy is installed on a virtualbox machine (host is windows xp, guest is
wheezy).

> An exact copy of the error in dmesg or syslog would be helpful.

I saw nothing relevant but the "Filesystem is NOT clean" message, but
sure, I'll add it as soon as I can access the VM on the afternoon, now
I'm at work.

> Last, why haven't you migrated that guest (and all such systems) from
> ReiserFS to EXT3/4? Hans is in prison. Reiser4 still isn't in
> mainline. The number of eyes currently on Reiser3 code can easily be
> counted on one person's fingers and toes, maybe just fingers...

ReiserFS is a filesystem that I've been using since my first linux
installation (that's 8 years ago) and have been working rock solid on all
the machines (servers, workstations and desktop computers). True is that
all the machines are properly backed by UPS units but this filesystem has
been recovering very well even when the computers had to be reseted or
powered down in a not so nicely manner.

In brief, I like ReiserFS and the only thing that refrains me for keeping
using it is that, AFAIK, nowadays is only receiving patches (no new
features) in the mainline kernel.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Camaleón

El 2011-05-09 a las 09:30 -0400, Brad Alexander escribió:

(sorry Brad, I completely missed your e-mail)

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 08 May 2011 14:29:12 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

(...)

> > > Last, why haven't you migrated that guest (and all such systems) from
> > > ReiserFS to EXT3/4? Hans is in prison. Reiser4 still isn't in
> > > mainline. The number of eyes currently on Reiser3 code can easily be
> > > counted on one person's fingers and toes, maybe just fingers...
> >
> > ReiserFS is a filesystem that I've been using since my first linux
> > installation (that's 8 years ago) and have been working rock solid on all
> > the machines (servers, workstations and desktop computers). True is that
> > all the machines are properly backed by UPS units but this filesystem has
> > been recovering very well even when the computers had to be reseted or
> > powered down in a not so nicely manner.
> >
> > In brief, I like ReiserFS and the only thing that refrains me for keeping
> > using it is that, AFAIK, nowadays is only receiving patches (no new
> > features) in the mainline kernel.

> I have also noticed on my workstation (running sid) that each reboot all of
> my reiser3 filesystems replay the journal. I figured it was just that
> reiser3 is getting long in the tooth. I was waiting for btrfs to "get
> there," but lately have been considering just switching to ext4...

Thanks for the advice... yep, I'm also waiting for btrfs to be in fit
and stable enough to start using it as a replacement for ReiserFS but
well, these things go slow. In the meantime, I'll keep ReiserFS as much
as I can :-)

Back to the thread subject, it seems the problem has dissapeared by
itself. After a cold start, the message was not present neither after
some "forced-by-me" restarts, the filesystem was marked as "clean" in
all the attempts so I'll just keep an eye over it and should the issue
returns I'll post back with the full logs.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón