Old 05-08-2011, 09:34 AM
AG

Default /etc/resolv.conf file is empty (was: Network problem {start of part 2})

Further developments on this:

When I rebooted after the installation, I lost my ability to access the
Net (again). I checked the contents of /etc/resolv.conf and there was
nothing in that file - apparently it is generated by Network Manager, so
I reinstalled Network Manager and manually copied over what I had had in
there originally, i.e.:

search org
nameserver 87.194.255.154
nameserver 87.194.255.155

This fixed the problem.

But, after rebooting this file was again blank, stopping me from
accessing the Net. How can I ensure that this file remains populated
between reboots? Or does this file get generated by some other
function, and in which case, what?

Thanks for the assistance.

AG

Archive: 4DC66388.8080406@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC66388.8080406@gmail.com

Old 05-08-2011, 12:30 PM
AG

But, after rebooting this file was again blank, stopping me from
accessing the Net. How can I ensure that this file remains populated
between reboots? Or does this file get generated by some other
function, and in which case, what?

What is the output of

dpkg -l | grep resolvconf

dpkg -l | grep resolvconf
rc resolvconf
1.48 name server information handler

AG

Archive: 4DC68D03.8040003@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC68D03.8040003@gmail.com

Old 05-08-2011, 01:29 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 08 May 2011 13:30:59 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 08/05/11 11:55, Brian wrote:
>> On Sun 08 May 2011 at 10:34:00 +0100, AG wrote:
>>
>>> But, after rebooting this file was again blank, stopping me from
>>> accessing the Net. How can I ensure that this file remains populated
>>> between reboots? Or does this file get generated by some other
>>> function, and in which case, what?
>> What is the output of
>>
>> dpkg -l | grep resolvconf
>>

> dpkg -l | grep resolvconf
> rc resolvconf
> 1.48 name server information handler

Ein? >>>:-)

So you finally do have it installed.

Remember that this package can be also interferring with your "/etc/
resolv.conf" file so either you configure it properly or you remove it.
Choose your poison :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-08-2011, 01:46 PM
AG

But, after rebooting this file was again blank, stopping me from
accessing the Net. How can I ensure that this file remains populated
between reboots? Or does this file get generated by some other
function, and in which case, what?

What is the output of

dpkg -l | grep resolvconf

dpkg -l | grep resolvconf
rc resolvconf
1.48 name server information handler

Ein?>>>:-)

So you finally do have it installed.

Remember that this package can be also interferring with your "/etc/
resolv.conf" file so either you configure it properly or you remove it.
Choose your poison :-)

And yet ...

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge resolvconf
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
resolvconf*

So it must be some libraries? But even inserting the wildcard throws
the same response, witness:

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge resolvconf*
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'resolvconf' for regex 'resolvconf*'
The following packages will be REMOVED:
resolvconf*

What does this mean?

AG

Archive: 4DC69EBF.4020909@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC69EBF.4020909@gmail.com

Old 05-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 08 May 2011 14:46:39 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 08/05/11 14:29, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> dpkg -l | grep resolvconf
>>> rc resolvconf
>>> 1.48 name server information handler
>> Ein?>>>:-)
>>
>> So you finally do have it installed.
>>
>> Remember that this package can be also interferring with your "/etc/
>> resolv.conf" file so either you configure it properly or you remove it.
>> Choose your poison :-)
> And yet ...
>
> $ sudo apt-get remove --purge resolvconf Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
> resolvconf*
>
> So it must be some libraries? But even inserting the wildcard throws
> the same response, witness:

(...)

The asterisk at the end of the package means that configuration files are
going to be removed. That's normal when you invoke the "--purge" argument.

Wait... the package is marked as "rc", so it's not installed but the
configuration files remains. Maybe you can use "dpkg --purge resolvconf"
instead :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón