Old 05-08-2011, 07:49 AM
AG

Default Network problem {start of part 2}

On 07/05/11 19:10, AG wrote:
I'm going for the "nuclear" option and am downloading the
netinstall.iso and will install from scratch and see if I run into the
same problems again in the future. So far, the only successes have
been when I enable the dhcp option in the /etc/network/interfaces
file, but as I need to have a printer client find the server this is
no good to me. I (strongly?) suspect that the offending culprit is
Network Manager, but cannot demonstrate that, so will endeavour to
avoid or de-install that if possible.

Hi again

I'm now running squeeze from the Feb netinst i386 iso.[1] This is a
fresh install using graphical expert install. I set the parameters of
the network as follows (being a creature of habit):

No auto-configure with DHCP
IP 192.168.1.40
gateway 192.168.1.254
nameserver 87.194.255.154 #modified from previous
hostname valhalla

I haven't altered anything aside from the configuration during install
and updating sources.list to testing rather than squeeze to update
applications. I haven't done any comprehensive dist-upgrade and there
are, according to the Update Mngr some 587 packages awaiting me.

I would like to gradually ease this into a testing, so given my last
experience am wondering what the best way of doing this will be. I want
to give any network related packages a wide berth for now until I can
figure out what went wrong last time.

In pursuit of this I re-ran Camaleón's helpful heuristic for the
output with that previously posted and can only see differences in three
stanzas, listed below. I can't comment on how significant these
differences might be, so comments welcomed.

# The primary network interface (this is different due to the parameters
manually configured during install, so the difference is to be expected,
especially the "static" clause)

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.40
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.254
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 87.194.255.154 87.194.255.155
dns-search org

# output from /etc/resolv.conf is:
$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search org
nameserver 87.194.255.154
nameserver 87.194.255.155

# compared with previously (& probably a limited range because the
domain is defined as lan rather than as org):

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain lan
search lan
nameserver 192.168.1.254

# And dmesg | grep -i eth is different too:
# Now:
$ dmesg | grep -i eth
[ 0.231823] ACPI Error (psparse-0537): Method parse/execution failed
[\_SB_.MEM_._CRS] (Node f6c1a0c0), AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT
[ 0.231859] ACPI Error (uteval-0250): Method execution failed
[\_SB_.MEM_._CRS] (Node f6c1a0c0), AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT

[ 4.312872] 8139cp: 10/100 PCI Ethernet driver v1.3 (Mar 22, 2004)
[ 4.746282] 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.28
[ 4.747608] eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xec00, 00:90:47:05:a3:07, IRQ 18
[ 9.062298] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
[ 13.589391] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[ 19.820518] eth0: no IPv6 routers present

# Previously (don't know if these are renewed signals and addresses or
significant):

$ dmesg | grep -i eth
[ 0.178866] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed
[\_SB_.MEM_._CRS] (Node f4c370c0), AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT
(20110112/psparse-536)
[ 0.178875] ACPI Error: Method execution failed [\_SB_.MEM_._CRS]
(Node f4c370c0), AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT (20110112/uteval-103)
[ 1.014972] 8139too 0000:01:0a.0: eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0xec00,
00:90:47:05:a3:07, IRQ 18

[ 10.733628] eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x41E1
[ 20.752026] eth0: no IPv6 routers present

I don't know if any of this is of any value, although from my
perspective I am pleased to have a system that works as I want it out of
the box. I will progress through the upgrades slowly, and have
uninstalled Network Manager in case that was the culprit, and in any
event my needs are not that complex that require something like that.

So, in terms of upgrading, would doing an aptitude safe-upgrade be the
wisest approach to updating squeeze to testing/ wheezy?

Thanks

AG

[1] I downloaded and installed using the latest testing/ wheezy netinst
CD iso and when I went to logon after booting up, the mouse was frozen
as was the keyboard (and for several reattempts to logon). Also, during
the install process, it hadn't required me to input anything for the
network section of the installation. Perhaps it is just me, but I am
wondering if that was part of the problem as I had upgraded from squeeze
to testing in the last few days and if that was the straight
installation experience, then perhaps the upgrade was broken as well?
This is, of course, pure speculation on my part, but explains whey I
went back to squeeze as a known release candidate.

Archive: 4DC64B11.5060700@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC64B11.5060700@gmail.com

Old 05-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 08 May 2011 08:49:37 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 07/05/11 19:10, AG wrote:

> I'm now running squeeze from the Feb netinst i386 iso.[1] This is a
> fresh install using graphical expert install.

You should have not installed by scratch >;-P

When there is a problem is better to solve to know what had happened in
order to avoid it in a future, or at least to know what steps to follow
in the event you find yourself in the same situation. If you always
reinstall, you'll find yourself in a loop-problem :-)

> I set the parameters of
> the network as follows (being a creature of habit):
>
> No auto-configure with DHCP
> IP 192.168.1.40
> gateway 192.168.1.254
> nameserver 87.194.255.154 #modified from previous hostname valhalla

(...)

> # output from /etc/resolv.conf is:
> $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search org
> nameserver 87.194.255.154
> nameserver 87.194.255.155
>
> # compared with previously (& probably a limited range because the
> domain is defined as lan rather than as org): $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> domain lan
> search lan
> nameserver 192.168.1.254

Whenever you experience any problem with Internet browsing, your first
steps should be:

- Ping to the ADSL router gateway (e.g., ping -c 3 192.168.0.254)
- If you reach it, then ping to an external host by its name (e.g., ping -
c 3 google.com)
- If you can't reach it, then ping to an external site by its IP address
(ping -c 3 8.8.8.8)

Those simple tests can help you to determine a issue on DNS resolution or
a connectivity one.

Back to your setup, now you are using an external set of DNS resolvers
(87.194.255.154/87.194.255.155) and before you had setup your local
router as a DNS resolver (192.168.1.254). Both forms are okay, but I
prefer to use my ISP's external DNS because there is a higher chance they
work as expected while the ADSL router can fail... let's say "easily".

> I don't know if any of this is of any value, although from my
> perspective I am pleased to have a system that works as I want it out of
> the box. I will progress through the upgrades slowly, and have
> uninstalled Network Manager in case that was the culprit, and in any
> event my needs are not that complex that require something like that.
>
> So, in terms of upgrading, would doing an aptitude safe-upgrade be the
> wisest approach to updating squeeze to testing/ wheezy?

Hum... if you wanted to reached testing, why you just didn't install any
of the latest wheezy images (daily/weekly)? Any problem you encountered
in your first attempt [1] will be present when you upgrade so the sooner
you solve the problem, the better. You have to start confronting the
issues, not getting around them :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-08-2011, 10:08 AM
AG

I'm now running squeeze from the Feb netinst i386 iso.[1] This is a
fresh install using graphical expert install.

You should have not installed by scratch>;-P

No doubt. Except, given I had tinkered around so much with the previous
installation, I wanted to get back to something that was rather more
pristine than the potential dog's breakfast I had created in my blind
effort to fix the problems.

When there is a problem is better to solve to know what had happened in
order to avoid it in a future, or at least to know what steps to follow
in the event you find yourself in the same situation. If you always
reinstall, you'll find yourself in a loop-problem :-)

That is wise advice, hence starting the amendment to this thread so that
I can progress through this issue without borking things up inadvertently.

[...]

These are useful steps, & ones that I have deployed before, to some
extent anyway. But when the system ain't connecting to anything, then I
- for one - don't really know how to move beyond that.

Back to your setup, now you are using an external set of DNS resolvers
(87.194.255.154/87.194.255.155) and before you had setup your local
router as a DNS resolver (192.168.1.254). Both forms are okay, but I
prefer to use my ISP's external DNS because there is a higher chance they
work as expected while the ADSL router can fail... let's say "easily".

So having established my ISP's nameservers, this seems to have worked
well. Except of course, now the /etc/resolv.conf file is always empty
on rebooting.

Having done some searching on this, the advice seems to be to edit the
IPv4 settings in Network Manager under "wired" connection tab, select
the "Automatic (DHCP) addresses only" method and manually enter the
nameserver addresses (i.e. 87.194.255.154) to the DNS servers line. I
have yet to do this because I don't know if I'll mess things up again,
so do you have any thoughts on this approach as a way of ensuring that
the /etc/resolv.conf file doesn't get erased during each reboot.
Apparently changing permissions on the file to read only doesn't stop
this from being erased, so I'm not too sure what other options there may
be to fix this.

I don't know if any of this is of any value, although from my
perspective I am pleased to have a system that works as I want it out of
the box. I will progress through the upgrades slowly, and have
uninstalled Network Manager in case that was the culprit, and in any
event my needs are not that complex that require something like that.

So, in terms of upgrading, would doing an aptitude safe-upgrade be the
wisest approach to updating squeeze to testing/ wheezy?

Hum... if you wanted to reached testing, why you just didn't install any
of the latest wheezy images (daily/weekly)? Any problem you encountered
in your first attempt [1] will be present when you upgrade so the sooner
you solve the problem, the better. You have to start confronting the
issues, not getting around them :-)

Fair point. It's just really difficult working with a system one cannot
log into :-)

Thanks for your continued help and patience.

AG

Archive: 4DC66BA6.2030005@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC66BA6.2030005@gmail.com

Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

issues, not getting around them :-)

> Fair point. It's just really difficult working with a system one cannot
> log into :-)
>
> Thanks for your continued help and patience.
>
> AG

I believe, /etc/resolv.conf is at first installation a symlink to another file.

Try to delete the sysmlink, create a file /etc/resolv.conf, edit it to your
needs and make it only writable by root.

Maybe this helps.

Good luck!

Hans

Old 05-08-2011, 10:37 AM
AG

I believe, /etc/resolv.conf is at first installation a symlink to another file.

Try to delete the sysmlink, create a file /etc/resolv.conf, edit it to your
needs and make it only writable by root.

Hi Hans

Thanks for the info. How do I trace the symlink back to the original
(i.e. the file that it is linked from)?

AG

Maybe this helps.

Good luck!

Hans

Archive: 4DC67285.8060005@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC67285.8060005@gmail.com

Old 05-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 08 May 2011 11:08:38 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 08/05/11 10:40, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Back to your setup, now you are using an external set of DNS resolvers
>> (87.194.255.154/87.194.255.155) and before you had setup your local
>> router as a DNS resolver (192.168.1.254). Both forms are okay, but I
>> prefer to use my ISP's external DNS because there is a higher chance
>> they work as expected while the ADSL router can fail... let's say
>> "easily".
>>

> So having established my ISP's nameservers, this seems to have worked
> well. Except of course, now the /etc/resolv.conf file is always empty
> on rebooting.
>
> Having done some searching on this, the advice seems to be to edit the
> IPv4 settings in Network Manager under "wired" connection tab, select
> the "Automatic (DHCP) addresses only" method and manually enter the
> nameserver addresses (i.e. 87.194.255.154) to the DNS servers line. I
> have yet to do this because I don't know if I'll mess things up again,
> so do you have any thoughts on this approach as a way of ensuring that
> the /etc/resolv.conf file doesn't get erased during each reboot.
> Apparently changing permissions on the file to read only doesn't stop
> this from being erased, so I'm not too sure what other options there may
> be to fix this.

Hum... may I suggest you to disable the NetworkManager service at all?
Not unistalling it but getting rid of it (avoid the service to be started
on boot). If you are not using a laptop nor need a dynamic network
management, it should be fine.

Also, do you have the "resolvconf" package installed? There are only two
apps I'm aware of that can cause an empty "/etc/resolv.conf". One is NM
and the other is "resolvconf". The third one should be a bug :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-08-2011, 10:52 AM
AG

[...]

How would I do this? It isn't listed as a service under Administration
(Gnome).

Also, do you have the "resolvconf" package installed? There are only two
apps I'm aware of that can cause an empty "/etc/resolv.conf". One is NM
and the other is "resolvconf". The third one should be a bug :-)

No I don't have resolvconf installed, so I guess it has something to do
with NM then.

Many thanks

AG

Archive: 4DC67608.2050708@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC67608.2050708@gmail.com

Old 05-08-2011, 11:17 AM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

> Thanks for the info. How do I trace the symlink back to the original
> (i.e. the file that it is linked from)?
Look where the symlink is pointing to, and do not forget it.

Then you can delete it.

To restore the link, use the command "ln". The syntax is:

ln -s source_file symlink_name

for example

ln -s /usr/share/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf

creates a symlink /etc/resolv.conf pointing to /usr/share/resolv.conf

Please notice, this is just an example, those named do not exist!
Also "man ln" will help you.

Good luck!

Hans

Old 05-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 08 May 2011 11:52:56 +0100, AG wrote:

> On 08/05/11 11:41, Camaleón wrote:

>> Hum... may I suggest you to disable the NetworkManager service at all?
>> Not unistalling it but getting rid of it (avoid the service to be
>> started on boot). If you are not using a laptop nor need a dynamic
>> network management, it should be fine.
>
> How would I do this? It isn't listed as a service under Administration
> (Gnome).

I finally did it (in squeeze) by running "update-rc.d network-manager
disable".

To remove the Gnome NM applet icon on the task bar you can go to "system/
preferences/sessions/startup programs".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón