Old 05-07-2011, 11:43 PM
Brad Alexander

Default Mystery on my laptop: KDE + nvidia + X + wheezy/sid

Hi,

I originally posted a thread to debian-kde, thread located at http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2011/04/msg00140.html. I am hoping someone here might have some idea.

The problem in a nutshell is that my workstation is running sid and my laptop (Dell Latitude E6500) running sid. Both have nvidia cards, and are running the non-free drivers (260.19.44-1). I upgraded the desktop to kde 4.6.2 after it hit the experimental-snapshots. The upgrade went perfectly, and I am running 4.6.2 on the workstation. On the laptop, things did not go so well...Once I upgraded, any time I started a KDE app (be it the K menu, or any KDE app) it would crash X or the nvidia driver or something (the backtrace is listed in the thread above).

I thought it was something in kde 4.6.2, but I rebuilt the laptop, upgraded to sid, left kde 4.4.5 on it, and had the same problem. Ended up rebuilding again and leaving it running squeeze until I can track down the problem. Meanwhile, the desktop is running fine...I verified the versions of nvidia, kernel, xorg, kde, etc.

Any ideas where the problem might lie?

Thanks,
--b

Old 05-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Andrew Reid

> Hi,

[ Lots of good info elided...]

> Any ideas where the problem might lie?

I have a long shot -- I've had a bit of trouble with the nepomuk
services on KDE4, although not NVidia-related (as far as I know),
and not on experimental, as I generally stick with "squeeze".

Anyways, your traceback has nepomuk stuff in it, so as a first
cut, I suggest disabling all that stuff. In the KDE gui, you can
do this via "System Settings" -> "Advanced" -> "Service Manager",
and disable the "Nepomuk Search Module".

This may fail if the "System Settings" is one of the KDE apps
that blows up, of course. In that case, maybe you can do
something more blunt-instrument-like, like renaming the
nepomuk executable or something.

Otherwise, there's the usual "is it plugged in" stuff:

I've sometimes had issues when Debian-packaged OpenGL updates
clobber the NVidia-provided OpenGL library files, but have
always been able to clear them by re-running the NVidia
installer. Kernel updates can do this too, not sure why.
(Your symtpoms don't really match this profile, but it's easy
to try...)

Also, the K desktop is vast and contains multitudes. If it's
convenient, maybe create a fresh, blank account on the problem
system, log into it in KDE, and let the config wizards do their
thing, and see if the problem still manifests -- if it doesn't,
then you've isolated the problem to one account's desktop
settings. It's possible the 4.4 to 4.6 migration isn't as
clean as it could be, and something's getting confused.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 05-08-2011, 03:46 AM
Brad Alexander

Thanks Andrew. I wasn't sure if the nepomuk/akonadi stuff was actually a show-stopper, since you see that throughout the logs.

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 10:02 PM, Andrew Reid <reidac@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> Hi,

[ Lots of good info elided...]

> Any ideas where the problem might lie?

*I have a long shot -- I've had a bit of trouble with the nepomuk

services on KDE4, although not NVidia-related (as far as I know),

and not on experimental, as I generally stick with "squeeze".

*Anyways, your traceback has nepomuk stuff in it, so as a first

cut, I suggest disabling all that stuff. *In the KDE gui, you can

do this via "System Settings" -> "Advanced" -> "Service Manager",

and disable the "Nepomuk Search Module".

*This may fail if the "System Settings" is one of the KDE apps

that blows up, of course. *In that case, maybe you can do

something more blunt-instrument-like, like renaming the

nepomuk executable or something.

System settings were one of the apps that was blowing up. The interesting thing was that calling a kde app would even drop me out of a Gnome session. I wouldn't think that calling a kde app would invoke nepomuk if it were not in a KDE session...

Having said that, I could disable the module in squeeze before upgrading to wheezy or sid...If I decide to try that again. (I'd really like to, just because apps in squeeze will start to get long in the tooth...)

*

*Otherwise, there's the usual "is it plugged in" stuff:

*I've sometimes had issues when Debian-packaged OpenGL updates

clobber the NVidia-provided OpenGL library files, but have

always been able to clear them by re-running the NVidia

installer. *Kernel updates can do this too, not sure why.

(Your symtpoms don't really match this profile, but it's easy

to try...)

*Also, the K desktop is vast and contains multitudes. *If it's

convenient, maybe create a fresh, blank account on the problem

system, log into it in KDE, and let the config wizards do their

thing, and see if the problem still manifests -- if it doesn't,

then you've isolated the problem to one account's desktop

settings. *It's possible the 4.4 to 4.6 migration isn't as

clean as it could be, and something's getting confused.

They said that the upgrade was the smoothest yet. It seemed to work fine to me. It was identical to the one on the workstation, where kde 4.6.2 works. Also, when I rebuilt the laptop from scratch and upgraded to sid but kept version 4.4.5, I was still seeing the same problem.

Thanks,
--b
*

Old 05-10-2011, 08:48 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Sat, 7 May 2011 19:43:05 -0400, Brad wrote in message
<BANLkTikp0A+X5QbueQZjxe2Je54R83VJ0w@mail.gmail.co m>:

> Hi,
>
> I originally posted a thread to debian-kde, thread located at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2011/04/msg00140.html. I am hoping
> someone here might have some idea.
>
> The problem in a nutshell is that my workstation is running sid and my
> laptop (Dell Latitude E6500) running sid. Both have nvidia cards, and
> are running the non-free drivers (260.19.44-1). I upgraded the
> desktop to kde 4.6.2 after it hit the experimental-snapshots. The
> upgrade went perfectly, and I am running 4.6.2 on the workstation. On
> the laptop, things did not go so well...Once I upgraded, any time I
> started a KDE app (be it the K menu, or any KDE app) it would crash X
> or the nvidia driver or something (the backtrace is listed in the
> thread above).
>
> I thought it was something in kde 4.6.2, but I rebuilt the laptop,
> upgraded to sid, left kde 4.4.5 on it, and had the same problem.
> Ended up rebuilding again and leaving it running squeeze until I can
> track down the problem. Meanwhile, the desktop is running fine...I
> verified the versions of nvidia, kernel, xorg, kde, etc.
>
> Any ideas where the problem might lie?

..WAG: synapti[c|k]s touch pad driver killing your X or evdev
or kde session?
Tried plugging in external rodents or keyboards?

Scenarios always come in sets of three: