Old 05-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Camaleón

Default Boot errors

On Sat, 07 May 2011 16:42:12 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> I am still seeing a bunch of errors related to udev when I boot this
> machine running Sid up-to-date.
> The errors come from udev but are not logged anywhere.

(...)

How about enabling the boot log at "/etc/default/
bootlogd" (BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes)? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Frank McCormick

On Sat, 07 May 2011 21:28:34 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 07 May 2011 16:42:12 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
>
> > I am still seeing a bunch of errors related to udev when I boot this
> > machine running Sid up-to-date.
> > The errors come from udev but are not logged anywhere.
>
> (...)
>
> How about enabling the boot log at "/etc/default/
> bootlogd" (BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes)? :-?

It is enabled.

--
-- Frank --

Old 05-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Frank McCormick

On Sat, 07 May 2011 18:34:23 -0400
Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> On Sat, 07 May 2011 21:28:34 +0000 (UTC)
> Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 07 May 2011 16:42:12 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
> >
> > > I am still seeing a bunch of errors related to udev when I boot this
> > > machine running Sid up-to-date.
> > > The errors come from udev but are not logged anywhere.
> >
> > (...)
> >
> > How about enabling the boot log at "/etc/default/
> > bootlogd" (BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes)? :-?
> >

> It is enabled.

By the way I am more interested in the errors themselves than
in the fact they are not logged.

--
-- Frank --

Old 05-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 07 mai 11, 20:12:24, Frank McCormick wrote:

> By the way I am more interested in the errors themselves than
> in the fact they are not logged.

Not sure what you mean by this. Can you try to reproduce the errors at
least from memory, or take a picture of your screen while booting

My guess is you're seeing the "/run/whatever not writable, falling back
to /dev/.udev/" which seems to be rather a notice, not an error.

BTW, if you're brave you might want to test 'initscripts' from
experimental, which adds the support for /run.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 07 May 2011 20:12:24 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:

> On Sat, 07 May 2011 18:34:23 -0400
> Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 07 May 2011 21:28:34 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > How about enabling the boot log at "/etc/default/ bootlogd"
>> > (BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=Yes)? :-?
>> >

>> It is enabled.
>
> By the way I am more interested in the errors themselves than
> in the fact they are not logged.

Then I'd also worry about a "phantom" message. Messages on boot should go
to some place (they're splitted into "/var/log/dmesg" and/or "/var/log/
boot"), but they need to be registered.

Anyway, to start debugging the problem, you need to know the exact
messages you get.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Frank McCormick

On Sun, 08 May 2011 11:28:04 +0300
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sb, 07 mai 11, 20:12:24, Frank McCormick wrote:
> >
> > By the way I am more interested in the errors themselves than
> > in the fact they are not logged.
>
> Not sure what you mean by this. Can you try to reproduce the errors at
> least from memory, or take a picture of your screen while booting
>
> My guess is you're seeing the "/run/whatever not writable, falling back
> to /dev/.udev/" which seems to be rather a notice, not an error.

Yes those are the ones. They started several weeks ago after an
update change which I now don't remember (Hell I can't remember what
I had for breakfast ))

> BTW, if you're brave you might want to test 'initscripts' from
> experimental, which adds the support for /run.

Ummm...well maybe not. Right now I'm having enough trouble just
keeping up with the problems I create, never mind what others can do.

Thanks for the help Andrei!

--
-- Frank --

Old 05-08-2011, 12:03 PM
Frank McCormick

On Sun, 08 May 2011 10:03:57 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 07 May 2011 20:12:24 -0400, Frank McCormick wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 07 May 2011 18:34:23 -0400
> > Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> >> It is enabled.
> >
> > By the way I am more interested in the errors themselves than
> > in the fact they are not logged.
>
> Then I'd also worry about a "phantom" message. Messages on boot should go
> to some place (they're splitted into "/var/log/dmesg" and/or "/var/log/
> boot"), but they need to be registered.

Then come right at the very start of the boot process...I guess
before there is anyplace to write except for the screen.

> Anyway, to start debugging the problem, you need to know the exact
> messages you get.

They are the "udevd can't exec" messages which Andrei Popescu told
me in another message are not really errors, there are more
informative.

--
-- Frank --

Old 05-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Frank McCormick wrote:

I am still seeing a bunch of errors related to udev when I boot
this machine running Sid up-to-date.
The errors come from udev but are not logged anywhere.
I suspect they are related to the situation weeks ago
when an update created a situation which needed a new
directory off the root which didn't yet exist. The solution (which I
implemented) was to delete the /run directory in the root.

Does anyone else see these udev errors? They don't seem
to affect the operation of Sid.

I see them.

Hgo

Archive: iq6e7r$9vq$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/iq6e7r$9vq$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 05-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Frank McCormick

On Sun, 08 May 2011 10:52:26 -0500
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

> Frank McCormick wrote:
> > I am still seeing a bunch of errors related to udev when I boot
> > this machine running Sid up-to-date.
> > The errors come from udev but are not logged anywhere.
> > I suspect they are related to the situation weeks ago
> >

> I see them.

Had a look at it. Seems it's the old "it's a bug", "no, it's not a
bug", "yes it is a bug".
I guess it'll all work itself out in the end.

Thanks for the confirmation Huge,

--
-- Frank --