-   -   popcon addressing on a recent squeeze install (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/523471-popcon-addressing-recent-squeeze-install.html)

Paul E Condon 05-07-2011 05:05 PM

popcon addressing on a recent squeeze install

I recently did a complete reinstall of Squeeze and said yes to the
question about popcon. Today I get an email from saying that it can't
deliver email from root@big.lan.gnu, which the host name internal to
by home lan. I think that the correct way to handle this is to have
email to root forwarded to me, but I can't remember (and can't find
instructions for) how to do this. Please help with a reminder.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Klistvud 05-07-2011 05:14 PM

popcon addressing on a recent squeeze install

I recently did a complete reinstall of Squeeze and said yes to the
question about popcon. Today I get an email from saying that it can't
deliver email from root@big.lan.gnu, which the host name internal to
by home lan. I think that the correct way to handle this is to have
email to root forwarded to me, but I can't remember (and can't find
instructions for) how to do this. Please help with a reminder.

Is /etc/aliases what you have in mind?

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Paul E Condon 05-07-2011 05:43 PM

On 20110507_191456, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 07. 05. 2011 19:05:24 je Paul E Condon napisal(a):
> >I recently did a complete reinstall of Squeeze and said yes to the
> >question about popcon. Today I get an email from saying that it can't
> >deliver email from root@big.lan.gnu, which the host name internal to
> >by home lan. I think that the correct way to handle this is to have
> >email to root forwarded to me, but I can't remember (and can't find
> >instructions for) how to do this. Please help with a reminder.
>
> Is /etc/aliases what you have in mind?

Yes, thankyou.
But there is still a problem. Everything in /etc/aliases looks to be
just as I remember it, so there is nothing to fix. But then how did
this email get generated? It's a puzzle. And it may be a while until
Debian starts getting my contribution to popularity. Oh well.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Klistvud 05-07-2011 05:51 PM

Dne, 07. 05. 2011 19:43:32 je Paul E Condon napisal(a):

On 20110507_191456, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 07. 05. 2011 19:05:24 je Paul E Condon napisal(a):
> >I recently did a complete reinstall of Squeeze and said yes to the
> >question about popcon. Today I get an email from saying that it
can't
> >deliver email from root@big.lan.gnu, which the host name internal

> >by home lan. I think that the correct way to handle this is to have
> >email to root forwarded to me, but I can't remember (and can't find
> >instructions for) how to do this. Please help with a reminder.
>
> Is /etc/aliases what you have in mind?

Yes, thankyou.
But there is still a problem. Everything in /etc/aliases looks to be
just as I remember it, so there is nothing to fix. But then how did
this email get generated? It's a puzzle. And it may be a while until
Debian starts getting my contribution to popularity. Oh well.

Then perhaps you need to configure exim4? Without it, the mail will
only be delivered locally (to the local root user by default).

Paul E Condon 05-07-2011 07:47 PM

On 20110507_195157, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 07. 05. 2011 19:43:32 je Paul E Condon napisal(a):
> >can't
> >internal to
> >>
> >> Is /etc/aliases what you have in mind?
> >
> >Yes, thankyou.
> >But there is still a problem. Everything in /etc/aliases looks to be
> >just as I remember it, so there is nothing to fix. But then how did
> >this email get generated? It's a puzzle. And it may be a while until
> >Debian starts getting my contribution to popularity. Oh well.
> >

> Then perhaps you need to configure exim4? Without it, the mail will
> only be delivered locally (to the local root user by default).

I'm pretty sure that I have configured exim4 correctly. I'm using
the host on which this happened to get to this list for help. It
has already worked twice at doing that.

I know that I have been having some problems configuring a new
router, and many strange things have happened because of mistakes
in router config, and in undoing those mistakes. I think I will
wait until I get another failed delivery message. Maybe this
problem will go away without me ever having to figure out why
it happened. Your pointing to /etc/aliases was a great help in
jogging my memory. I, of course, had never entered an alias for
root into it, because it has always been done automatically for
all the time that I have been using Debian. That it contains
this little attention to detail was one of the reasons that I
have been happy with Debian from when I started about a dozen
years ago.

This problem might come back, but I will be not at all surprised
if I never see it again. And I still have some indications that
other things need work, for now.

Thanks.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Jens Selk 05-07-2011 08:00 PM

Am Samstag 07 Mai 2011, 19:05:24 schrieb Paul E Condon:
> I recently did a complete reinstall of Squeeze and said yes to the
> question about popcon. Today I get an email from saying that it
> can't deliver email from root@big.lan.gnu, which the host name
> internal to by home lan. I think that the correct way to handle
> this is to have email to root forwarded to me, but I can't remember
> (and can't find instructions for) how to do this. Please help with
> a reminder.

As far as I can see, the problem isn't that mail to root on your local
machine can't be delivered, but that popcon tries to send an email to
the internet using root@big.lan.gnu as the sender address. This mail
can't be sent to the popcon team at Debian because the domain
"big.lan.gnu" doesn't exist on the internet, hence the sender adress is
invalid, and your ISP's relay server rejects this mail.

The solution is to make your local exim4 to rewrite both the local part
and the domain part of the sender address.

Jens