-   -   CRITICAL: Wireless connection destroyed on some Netbooks (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/523395-critical-wireless-connection-destroyed-some-netbooks.html)

DuLac Dutra 05-07-2011 12:54 PM

CRITICAL: Wireless connection destroyed on some Netbooks

Could not find the package, but here goes the historial in 2 Netbooks:

*- Was first noticed on Ubuntu 11.04RC after installation over previous working 10.10
*- It was introduced in Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.10 by April,28 updates.

*- And confirmed to be in action in the latest Mint Debian XFCE.
*- Not kernel related (previous kernels were tested, under the unknown "updated" package)
Behavior:
*- Not a driver problem.
* *Though a previous initialization of the wireless board would allow
* *a correct connection on Linux, as long as hot reboot was made (no power-off).*
*- Handshake fails.
* *When Wicd was tried, sequence was: None, Local, None => Password failure

Notes:
*- There's a chance the board may be misidentified (driver is R8169) but only hanshake fails.
*- Notice that if windows was called previous to linux, the handshake would go fine.
*- This is affecting all ACER AspireOne Netbooks using the same wireless board.
This is all I got.
I'm available for testings if needed.

Best regards,
Dutra de Lacerda.

Camaleón 05-07-2011 02:02 PM

On Sat, 07 May 2011 13:54:54 +0100, DuLac Dutra wrote:

> Could not find the package, but here goes the historial in 2 Netbooks:
>
> - Was first noticed on Ubuntu 11.04RC after installation over previous
> working 10.10
> - It was introduced in Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.10 by April,28
> updates. - And confirmed to be in action in the latest Mint Debian
> XFCE. - Not kernel related (previous kernels were tested, under the
> unknown
> "updated" package)

(...)

Thanks for the heads-up but better if you provide additional data, for
instance:

- Is the wifi card detected at all? → lspci
- Is it available under your network settings? → /sbin/ifconfig
- What do logs say? → review your "/var/log/syslog" and "/var/log/
wpa_supplicant" files

> Behavior:
> - Not a driver problem.
> Though a previous initialization of the wireless board would allow a
> correct connection on Linux, as long as hot reboot was made (no
> power-off).
> - Handshake fails.
> When Wicd was tried, sequence was: None, Local, None => Password
> failure

- Have you tried to setup the card manually or by using another tool
(NetworkManager)?

> Notes:
> - There's a chance the board may be misidentified (driver is R8169) but
> only hanshake fails.
> - Notice that if windows was called previous to linux, the handshake
> would
> go fine.
> - This is affecting all ACER AspireOne Netbooks using the same wireless
> board.

You meant that if you first boot into windows and then start linux the
card is working okay? That sounds to me like a power saving issue, I
remember something similar happened with some models of realtek wired
ethernet adapters some years ago... :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 05-07-2011 02:07 PM

In <BANLkTim5BVDXYuBmi8vceWADE4GU_c5F9w@mail.gmail.co m>, DuLac Dutra wrote:
>Could not find the package, but here goes the historial in 2 Netbooks:
>
> - Was first noticed on Ubuntu 11.04RC after installation over previous
>working 10.10
> - It was introduced in Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.10 by April,28 updates.
> - And confirmed to be in action in the latest Mint Debian XFCE.

Both Mint and Ubuntu have their own mailing lists. As far and I can tell, you
didn't even test on Debian, rendering your posting off-topic for this mailing
list.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))