Old 05-07-2011, 11:36 AM
AG

Default Now cannot ping print server from second machine

Hello (again)

I don't know if this is related to the connectivity issues reported
earlier, but now when trying to print from a second machine, I am unable to.

The set up is my machine runs the CUPS print server and is directly
connected to a USB printer. I used to be able to print from the second
(client?) machine, but since this issue following a problem-riddled
reboot this is no longer possible.

I have tried to ping the server machine (192.168.1.40) from the client
machine (192.168.1.29) but cannot. I have stopped all the firewalls
(firestarter) on the *.*.*.40 machine and still no dice. The machines
are still connected via a hub and that hasn't changed since before I
rebooted.

The client machine (*.*.*.29) can access the Internet via the same hub,
but packets are being dropped when that machine tries to ping the
server. The server machine can now access the Net, and can ping the
client machine.

Any thoughts on what I should check out for?

TIA

AG

Archive: 4DC52EA7.3020304@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC52EA7.3020304@gmail.com

Old 05-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Brian

On Sat 07 May 2011 at 12:36:07 +0100, AG wrote:

> The set up is my machine runs the CUPS print server and is directly
> connected to a USB printer. I used to be able to print from the second
> (client?) machine, but since this issue following a problem-riddled
> reboot this is no longer possible.

CUPS has to set to accept print jobs from the LAN. But I expect you know
that.

> I have tried to ping the server machine (192.168.1.40) from the client
> machine (192.168.1.29) but cannot. I have stopped all the firewalls
> (firestarter) on the *.*.*.40 machine and still no dice. The machines
> are still connected via a hub and that hasn't changed since before I
> rebooted.

Firestarter configures the firewall. It is not the firewall itself so
stopping it would still leave firewall rules in place. I'm not very
familiar with iptables but

iptables -L

lists the current rules,

and

iptables -F

flushes the rules.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Klistvud

[...]

The IP of your server. On the server, issue 'ifconfig' to see if it
still has the former IP (192.168.1.40).

TIA

AG

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4DC52EA7.3020304@gmail.com

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 05-07-2011, 12:34 PM
AG

[...]

You're right! Now my IP has been changed to 192.168.1.64 !!!

I'm way confused now - this has always been set at 192.168.1.40 so how
has this been changed to *.*.*.64 and how do I ensure that the client
machine can keep track of any further changes to this IP?

Is this IP change due to having changed the stanza in
/etc/network/interfaces from what was iface eth0 inet *static* to iface
eth0 inet *dhcp* ?

Thanks

AG

Archive: 4DC53C68.5040602@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC53C68.5040602@gmail.com

Old 05-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Brian

On Sat 07 May 2011 at 13:34:48 +0100, AG wrote:

> Is this IP change due to having changed the stanza in
> /etc/network/interfaces from what was iface eth0 inet *static* to iface
> eth0 inet *dhcp* ?

Please see your other thread on connectivity. Have x as 40 and use
ifdown followed by ifup.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Klistvud

[...]

Absolutely yes. The new IP gets issued from the dhcp server on your LAN
now, it's not fixed (static) anymore. It's also not guaranteed to be
the same after every reboot, it will be as the dhcp server sees fit.

Thanks

AG

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4DC53C68.5040602@gmail.com

Old 05-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Klistvud

[...]

That'll be hard to do. DHCP is a dynamic protocol, changing IPs as it
sees fit. One way would be to revert to *static* instead of *dhcp*
(with all the related issues you had before); the other way would be to
use a IP-reservation-capable router as your dhcp server. If you use a
router to issue dhcp services, you may want to check out if there is a
way to configure IP reservation on the router configuration page. IP
reservation is a way to "lock" a given IP to a given MAC address (MAC
is a unique hardware network card identifier), ensuring your client
will get the same IP after every reboot. Not all routers have that
capability, however.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:32 PM
AG

[...]

Great! So how then can I stop dhcp from randomly assigning a new IP
address to my machine so that the client machine can see the server AND
enable my (server) machine to access the Net after a reboot?

This used to work fine - now it's borked and I don't know why or how,
nor more importantly how to put it back to how it was before the package
update that kicked in.

Cheers

AG

Archive: 4DC54A03.5090309@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC54A03.5090309@gmail.com

Old 05-07-2011, 01:42 PM
AG

Is this IP change due to having changed the stanza in
/etc/network/interfaces from what was iface eth0 inet *static* to iface
eth0 inet *dhcp* ?

Please see your other thread on connectivity. Have x as 40 and use
ifdown followed by ifup.

Thanks Brian

I had already changed that and I am back to the original problem of
loosing connectivity after a reboot.

The /etc/network/interfaces file reads (in its entirety):

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
#iface eth0 inet dhcp ## This reflects the earlier suggestion about
changing static to dhcp

address 192.168.1.40
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.254
# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
dns-nameservers 158.43.240.4
dns-search org

However, as noted - this returns full circle to the original issues.

Thanks

AG

Archive: 4DC54C38.4040300@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC54C38.4040300@gmail.com

Old 05-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Klistvud

[...]

Things to check:

IS your gateway/router REALLY at 192.168.1.254 ? An error here will
lead you to a basically "unconnected" machine, probably you won't be
able even to ping the hosts on your LAN or anything.
IS there really a dns server at 158.43.240.4 ? An error here will only
affect dns names, so you will not be able to reach, say,
www.google.com; you will still be able to reach any hosts by specifying
their IP numbers directly.