FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-07-2011, 02:30 AM
AG
 
Default Problems setting up USB printer with CUPS

Hi

In addition to connectivity problems, I've been having problems setting
up my USB Epson printer with CUPS. For one thing, the CUPS admin
interface has changed since I last did this, and CUPS doesn't detect the
printer as a local printer only giving me 3 options - scsi printer, HP
printer HP fax (yes, I've checked - it is plugged in and turned on, etc.).


What is the correct way of addressing the printer? For a USB do I
select, under "Other Network Printers" (why is it an other network
printer when it is connected directly to my machine?) the LPD/LPR
option? None of these options really seem appropriate, and is the
address given like this: lpp://localhost/epson or
lpp://localhost:631/epson or ... ?


I can't really say that the on-line help has been very useful and I
guess my Google-fu is not what it should be because I cannot find any
recent postings on this that answer this query.


TIA

AG


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DC4AEB9.3060707@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC4AEB9.3060707@gmail.com
 
Old 05-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Camaleón
 
Default Problems setting up USB printer with CUPS

On Sat, 07 May 2011 03:30:17 +0100, AG wrote:

> In addition to connectivity problems, I've been having problems setting
> up my USB Epson printer with CUPS. For one thing, the CUPS admin
> interface has changed since I last did this, and CUPS doesn't detect the
> printer as a local printer only giving me 3 options - scsi printer, HP
> printer HP fax (yes, I've checked - it is plugged in and turned on,
> etc.).

(...)

USB printers should be auto-magically detected by CUPS so I would first
check if the printer has been detected/configured by the system (dmesg |
grep usb).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.05.07.10.35.18@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.05.07.10.35.18@gmail.com
 
Old 05-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Arno Schuring
 
Default Problems setting up USB printer with CUPS

AG (computing.account@googlemail.com on 2011-05-07 03:30 +0100):
> In addition to connectivity problems, I've been having problems
> setting up my USB Epson printer with CUPS. For one thing, the CUPS
> admin interface has changed since I last did this, and CUPS doesn't
> detect the printer as a local printer only giving me 3 options - scsi
> printer, HP printer HP fax (yes, I've checked - it is plugged in and
> turned on, etc.).
Do you have any of the packages openprinting-ppds or
cups-driver-gutenprint installed?

> What is the correct way of addressing the printer? For a USB do I
> select, under "Other Network Printers" (why is it an other network
> printer when it is connected directly to my machine?) the LPD/LPR
> option? None of these options really seem appropriate, and is the
> address given like this: lpp://localhost/epson or
> lpp://localhost:631/epson or ... ?
port 631 is ipp, not lpp

You should not need any of these options, once the correct printer
driver (ppd) is installed, it should work immediately. If you can't get
it to work, you might want to check here:
http://www.openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/Epson

and select your correct model. It should give you the name (and a
download link) for the recommended driver, which you can then search
for in the Debian archive.

> I can't really say that the on-line help has been very useful and I
> guess my Google-fu is not what it should be because I cannot find any
> recent postings on this that answer this query.
I always start my search with "open printing database".


Hope this helps,
Arno


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110507125851.79775bb7@neminis.loos.site">http://lists.debian.org/20110507125851.79775bb7@neminis.loos.site
 
Old 05-07-2011, 10:59 AM
AG
 
Default Problems setting up USB printer with CUPS

On 07/05/11 11:35, Camaleón wrote:

On Sat, 07 May 2011 03:30:17 +0100, AG wrote:


In addition to connectivity problems, I've been having problems setting
up my USB Epson printer with CUPS. For one thing, the CUPS admin
interface has changed since I last did this, and CUPS doesn't detect the
printer as a local printer only giving me 3 options - scsi printer, HP
printer HP fax (yes, I've checked - it is plugged in and turned on,
etc.).

(...)


Hi Camaleón

USB printers should be auto-magically detected by CUPS


That's what was puzzling the heck out of me too!


so I would first
check if the printer has been detected/configured by the system (dmesg |
grep usb).


Good pointer - thanks. No it hadn't been picked up. So I replugged it
into another USB port and hey presto!


Why that port stopped working for the printer but now (still) works fine
for a USB data storage hub, I don't know.


Given the issue with connectivity (sorted out with the help of Brian &
others), this printer issue (now sorted thanks to you) and why the
desktop appearance settings for Gnome were so borked after I rebooted is
a complete mystery to me and don't seem to have anything in common on
the face of it.


Anyway - issue sorted, and thanks again.

All the best

AG


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DC5262E.5080109@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC5262E.5080109@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:24 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org