Old 05-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Tom Grace

Default configuration management

On 07/05/11 00:56, shawn wilson wrote:

i'd prefer the system have some sort of ajax, soap, xml, syslog, or
snmp v3 output (in order of preference - can ya tell how i feel about
snmp?). but, i suppose i can parse and spit out pretty much any output
if need be.

What information are you looking to get from the output of a config run ?
IMHO, if you are using configuration management software the process
should be kinda as follows:
Have a method of creating consistent base installs (for Debian, probably
preseed).

Create clean machine based on that.
Run configuration management tool.
Profit.

btw, if i could take lvm, zfs, and virtualbox snapshots with whatever
software i use, that would be cool too
Again, my opinion, but there should be no need to take snapshots of the
result of running any config management tool, as the canonical version
of your boxes can be created using said tool

comments? suggestions?
I'm mostly familiar with Puppet, and use it extensively. Something I've
found is that your first couple of attempts will probably not be ideal.
A large part of the config management puzzle is getting your
abstractions in the right place.
For example, it is fairly easy to copy /etc into file resources in
Puppet and push them to several machines. Ideally, there should be as
little machine specific configuration as possible.

Kinda like this:

httpd_config => {
'MPM' => 'prefork',
'StartServers' => '10',
'MinSpareServers' => '15',
'MaxSpareServers' => '25',
'ServerLimit' => '256',
'MaxClients' => '256',
'MaxRequestsPerChild' => '4000',
'Port' => '8000'
}

and using variables to put those values into config files and overriding
as appropriate rather than having multiple versions of files.

Hope that gives you a couple of pointers.

Archive: 4DC497CE.7080106@deathbycomputers.co.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4DC497CE.7080106@deathbycomputers.co.uk

Old 05-07-2011, 03:15 AM
shawn wilson

thanks for the replies. replying to Karl's message so that it goes
into the list archive.

so, my thoughts so far:
wikipedia needs updating on this front.
cdist looks pretty simple - i think i could have it up for what i'm
using in a matter of minutes.
cfengine looks pretty old school and it probably does what it does
very well. it seems to have the best documentation and is probably
most widely used.
puppet seems to have decent documentation as well and doesn't seem
that hard to get started with (think i'll probably start with that).
bcfg2..... i just don't know what to think of this. might be cool, it
just doesn't look mature or that it has a niche or anything...