Old 05-06-2011, 11:56 PM
shawn wilson

Default configuration management

not sure how topical this here - as i'm not looking for anything
debian specific. i'm looking at using some type of configuration
management software. i have never used any of this software before, i
just think i'm outgrowing svn and scp

i've found this wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_configuration_management _software
and have been comparing them. i am familiar with perl and mysql.
however, sense i don't think i would want to develop this software, it
shouldn't matter. i do need something that supports linux, bsd (and it
would be cool if i could have my two osx boxes on the system too - but
don't care as much).

i'd prefer the system have some sort of ajax, soap, xml, syslog, or
snmp v3 output (in order of preference - can ya tell how i feel about
snmp?). but, i suppose i can parse and spit out pretty much any output
if need be.

i'm not looking to pay for this (or i'd just shoot up to openview and
call it a day).

btw, if i could take lvm, zfs, and virtualbox snapshots with whatever
software i use, that would be cool too

comments? suggestions?