Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Arno Schuring

Default URL shortening (was Need /etc/apt/sources.list)

Dotan Cohen (dotancohen@gmail.com on 2011-05-06 23:07 +0300):

> No, this is not a matter of preference. There is no reason to pipe the
> links through some third party service
[..]

> What advantage exists at all to use tinyURL?
While I share your sentiment in general (I would never click on a
tinyurl link without noscript), it does have its uses. Twitter and
other character-impaired services come to mind.

However, this mailing list is archived. That means that links given on
this mailing list are not simply fire-and-forget, they should be able
to be resolved years from now. And while we cannot guarantee that any
link remains valid, it is foolish to assume URL shorteners outlive the
target website.

In other words, please do not use (unnecessary) URL mangling. It
needlessly makes your message useless for posterity.

Thanks,
Arno

Old 05-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 07 mai 11, 00:33:59, Arno Schuring wrote:

> In other words, please do not use (unnecessary) URL mangling. It
> needlessly makes your message useless for posterity.

+1

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Dotan Cohen

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 01:33, Arno Schuring <aelschuring@hotmail.com> wrote:
> However, this mailing list is archived. That means that links given on
> this mailing list are not simply fire-and-forget, they should be able
> to be resolved years from now. And while we cannot guarantee that any
> link remains valid, it is foolish to assume URL shorteners outlive the
> target website.
>
> In other words, please do not use (unnecessary) URL mangling. It
> needlessly makes your message useless for posterity.

There were actually a few cases of these link-shortening services
going under. Tr.im went under and was bought, Canonical and Google
both bought and saved one (I don't remember the names) and for a while
bit.ly was under threat for violating Sharia law.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com

Old 05-08-2011, 08:08 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 09:28:54AM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> There were actually a few cases of these link-shortening services
> going under. Tr.im went under and was bought, Canonical and Google
> both bought and saved one (I don't remember the names) and for a while
> bit.ly was under threat for violating Sharia law.

In what respect?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279