Old 05-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Stanisław Findeisen

Default strange Icedove typo (Enigmail?)

Today I sent an e-mail from my Icedove 2.0.0.24 and I am pretty sure it
looks different in my Sent folder (and in Sent folder file) than it was
when I was sending it.

There is an additional '>' char at the beginning of the 3rd line of the
body (nothing was quoted in this e-mail, it was a "new mail").

Has anyone encountered anything similar?

I ran memtest86+, but with no result.

I have Enigmail 0.95.0 plugin. Is that so, that each outgoing Icedove
e-mail is processed by Enigmail, and Enigmail can change it?? What is
the workflow here?

--
Eisenbits - proven software solutions: http://www.eisenbits.com/

Old 05-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 06 May 2011 19:08:11 +0200, Stanisław Findeisen wrote:

> Today I sent an e-mail from my Icedove 2.0.0.24 and I am pretty sure it
> looks different in my Sent folder (and in Sent folder file) than it was
> when I was sending it.
>
> There is an additional '>' char at the beginning of the 3rd line of the
> body (nothing was quoted in this e-mail, it was a "new mail").
>
> Has anyone encountered anything similar?
>
> I ran memtest86+, but with no result.

How weird... Can you reproduce it?

Maybe was just a "fat-finger" issue (you looked for "shif+Z" but pressed
"shift+<" instead) :-)

> I have Enigmail 0.95.0 plugin. Is that so, that each outgoing Icedove
> e-mail is processed by Enigmail, and Enigmail can change it?? What is
> the workflow here?

Did you encrypt or sign the message? I don't use Enigmail but neither see
any good reason to "alter" the content of a message in that specific
manner.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Erwan David

Le Fri 6/05/2011, Camaleón disait

From: is sometimes escaped with > because of the mbox format (internally used by thunderbird/icedove) where a new mail begins with a line beginning with "From" just after a blank line.

--
Erwan

Old 05-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Stanisław Findeisen

On 2011-05-06 19:46, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 06 May 2011 19:08:11 +0200, Stanisław Findeisen wrote:
>
>> Today I sent an e-mail from my Icedove 2.0.0.24 and I am pretty sure it
>> looks different in my Sent folder (and in Sent folder file) than it was
>> when I was sending it.
>>
>> There is an additional '>' char at the beginning of the 3rd line of the
>> body (nothing was quoted in this e-mail, it was a "new mail").
>>
>> Has anyone encountered anything similar?
>>
>> I ran memtest86+, but with no result.
>
> How weird... Can you reproduce it?

Yes!

Example 1:

Hi

>From this:

Example 2:

>From this:

Example 3:

Hi

>From this:

EOF

(Remove the separator lines.) Each time the line:

>From this:

changes into:

>From this:

This is crazy.

--
Eisenbits - proven software solutions: http://www.eisenbits.com/

Old 05-06-2011, 06:04 PM
Stanisław Findeisen

On 2011-05-06 20:02, Stanisław Findeisen wrote:
> On 2011-05-06 19:46, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 May 2011 19:08:11 +0200, Stanisław Findeisen wrote:
>>
>>> Today I sent an e-mail from my Icedove 2.0.0.24 and I am pretty sure it
>>> looks different in my Sent folder (and in Sent folder file) than it was
>>> when I was sending it.
>>>
>>> There is an additional '>' char at the beginning of the 3rd line of the
>>> body (nothing was quoted in this e-mail, it was a "new mail").
>>>
>>> Has anyone encountered anything similar?
>>>
>>> I ran memtest86+, but with no result.
>> How weird... Can you reproduce it?
>
> Yes!
>
> Example 1:

> Hi
>
>>From this:
>
> Example 2:

>>From this:
>
> Example 3:

> Hi
>
>>From this:
>
> EOF
>
> (Remove the separator lines.) Each time the line:
>
>>From this:
>
> changes into:
>
>>From this:
>
> This is crazy.

Heh the first 4 occurences of "From this:" were at the beginning of the
line, only the last one was ">From this:". This is this bug. :-)

--
Eisenbits - proven software solutions: http://www.eisenbits.com/

Old 05-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 06 May 2011 20:04:36 +0200, Stanisław Findeisen wrote:

> On 2011-05-06 20:02, Stanisław Findeisen wrote:
>> On 2011-05-06 19:46, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>> How weird... Can you reproduce it?
>>
>> Yes!

(...)

Hey, me also! :-O

>>>From this:
>>
>> changes into:
>>
>>>From this:
>>
>> This is crazy.
>
> Heh the first 4 occurences of "From this:" were at the beginning of the
> line, only the last one was ">From this:". This is this bug. :-)

Yep, then it has to be what Erwan noted before. Curious... he, one more
reason to add in my list of "why I hate the mbox format" :-P

Greetings,

--
Camaleón