FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-06-2011, 04:23 PM
AG
 
Default Loss of connectivity on recent testing updates

Hey list

Sometime over the last 9 days I have updated my testing desktop system and when I went to reboot the theme settings on Gnome had changed and I am unable to access the Internet.

My partner's machine - from which this is sent - can access the Net fine.* I could until I rebooted.* I've created a second account and that user cannot access the Net either.


Help!!* I really have no clue what brought this about nor how to fix it.* I've stopped the Firestarter firewall, and restarted it; ditto with Tor and Polipo.* No change.

Thanks a lot.

AG
 
Old 05-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Chris Brennan
 
Default Loss of connectivity on recent testing updates

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM, AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> wrote:

Hey list

Sometime over the last 9 days I have updated my testing desktop system and when I went to reboot the theme settings on Gnome had changed and I am unable to access the Internet.



My partner's machine - from which this is sent - can access the Net fine.* I could until I rebooted.* I've created a second account and that user cannot access the Net either.


Help!!* I really have no clue what brought this about nor how to fix it.* I've stopped the Firestarter firewall, and restarted it; ditto with Tor and Polipo.* No change.

Did you make sure the interface was up? As root, ifconfig or sudo ifconfig or su -c ifconfig ....


--
> A: Yes.
> >Q: Are you sure?
> >>A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.*> >>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?*
 
Old 05-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Camaleón
 
Default Loss of connectivity on recent testing updates

On Fri, 06 May 2011 17:23:45 +0100, AG wrote:

> Sometime over the last 9 days I have updated my testing desktop system
> and when I went to reboot the theme settings on Gnome had changed and I
> am unable to access the Internet.
>
> My partner's machine - from which this is sent - can access the Net
> fine. I could until I rebooted. I've created a second account and that
> user cannot access the Net either.
>
> Help!! I really have no clue what brought this about nor how to fix it.
> I've stopped the Firestarter firewall, and restarted it; ditto with Tor
> and Polipo. No change.

If you are using NetworkManager recheck all the settings, maybe something
has been messed up.

More details on how you connect to the web would also help (wifi/dhcp...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.05.06.17.02.20@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.05.06.17.02.20@gmail.com
 
Old 05-06-2011, 06:12 PM
AG
 
Default Loss of connectivity on recent testing updates

Hmmm ... apparently not:

sudo ifconfig
lo******* Link encap:Local Loopback*
********* inet addr:127.0.0.1* Mask:255.0.0.0
********* inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
********* UP LOOPBACK RUNNING* MTU:16436* Metric:1

********* RX packets:11601 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
********* TX packets:11601 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
********* collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
********* RX bytes:1234607 (1.1 MiB)* TX bytes:1234607 (1.1 MiB)



How do I turn this on, and ensure that it stays on at boot up?

Also, is this likely to have had an impact on my ability to print via CUPS?

Cheers

AG

PS: I connect via ADSL





On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Chris Brennan <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 12:23 PM, AG <computing.account@googlemail.com> wrote:


Hey list

Sometime over the last 9 days I have updated my testing desktop system and when I went to reboot the theme settings on Gnome had changed and I am unable to access the Internet.




My partner's machine - from which this is sent - can access the Net fine.* I could until I rebooted.* I've created a second account and that user cannot access the Net either.


Help!!* I really have no clue what brought this about nor how to fix it.* I've stopped the Firestarter firewall, and restarted it; ditto with Tor and Polipo.* No change.


Did you make sure the interface was up? As root, ifconfig or sudo ifconfig or su -c ifconfig ....


--
> A: Yes.
> >Q: Are you sure?
> >>A: Because it reverses the logical flow of conversation.*> >>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?*
 
Old 05-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Arno Schuring
 
Default Loss of connectivity on recent testing updates

AG (computing.account@googlemail.com on 2011-05-06 19:12 +0100):
> sudo ifconfig
> lo Link encap:Local Loopback
> inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
> inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
> UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
> RX packets:11601 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
> TX packets:11601 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
> RX bytes:1234607 (1.1 MiB) TX bytes:1234607 (1.1 MiB)
>
>
> How do I turn this on, and ensure that it stays on at boot up?
You're missing eth0, iow there does not appear to be a driver for your
network card (or ifconfig simply doesn't list downed interfaces, it's
been a long time since I've used that). Has there been a recent kernel
upgrade, for which you're missing some firmware packages maybe?

Multiple things to check:
# dhclient eth0
should either try to get you a network address, or complain with "no
such device" (run as root)

$ lspci | grep -i net
should show you a list of ethernet devices
$ lsmod
should give you a list of modules. Network drivers are usually named
with an abbrevation of the manufacturer, so you'll have to look for it
yourself.


> Also, is this likely to have had an impact on my ability to print via
> CUPS?
It shouldn't. But since you also had an issue with the Gnome theme, I
suspect your configuration has been fouled up. If your network was
configured via the GUI (NetworkManager), that might explain the network
issue as well.


Good luck,
Arno


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110507005036.02cead2b@neminis.loos.site">http://lists.debian.org/20110507005036.02cead2b@neminis.loos.site
 
Old 05-07-2011, 02:21 AM
AG
 
Default Loss of connectivity on recent testing updates

On 06/05/11 23:50, Arno Schuring wrote:

AG (computing.account@googlemail.com on 2011-05-06 19:12 +0100):

sudo ifconfig
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:11601 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:11601 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1234607 (1.1 MiB) TX bytes:1234607 (1.1 MiB)


How do I turn this on, and ensure that it stays on at boot up?

You're missing eth0, iow there does not appear to be a driver for your
network card (or ifconfig simply doesn't list downed interfaces, it's
been a long time since I've used that). Has there been a recent kernel
upgrade, for which you're missing some firmware packages maybe?

Multiple things to check:
# dhclient eth0
should either try to get you a network address, or complain with "no
such device" (run as root)

$ lspci | grep -i net
should show you a list of ethernet devices
$ lsmod
should give you a list of modules. Network drivers are usually named
with an abbrevation of the manufacturer, so you'll have to look for it
yourself.



Also, is this likely to have had an impact on my ability to print via
CUPS?

It shouldn't. But since you also had an issue with the Gnome theme, I
suspect your configuration has been fouled up. If your network was
configured via the GUI (NetworkManager), that might explain the network
issue as well.


Good luck,
Arno




After trying #dhclient eth0 there was no output, but I can now access
the Internet. When I rebooted the machine to double check, the Net was
inaccessible.


Is there someway that I can set this up so that this is automatically
configured at boot time?


As an aside, this is a recent re-install and the network was configured
manually during that process, not through Network Manager.


Thanks for any advice on getting this set up to access the Net upon boot up.

AG


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DC4ACB3.5050306@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC4ACB3.5050306@gmail.com
 
Old 05-07-2011, 09:04 AM
Brian
 
Default Loss of connectivity on recent testing updates

On Sat 07 May 2011 at 03:21:39 +0100, AG wrote:

> After trying #dhclient eth0 there was no output, but I can now access
> the Internet. When I rebooted the machine to double check, the Net was
> inaccessible.

There is an implication here you are using a wired connection. Is that
correct?

> Is there someway that I can set this up so that this is automatically
> configured at boot time?

There should be.

> As an aside, this is a recent re-install and the network was configured
> manually during that process, not through Network Manager.

This implies you are using ifupdown to manage the interfaces.

> Thanks for any advice on getting this set up to access the Net upon boot up.

As root, edit /etc/network/interfaces to have

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Save and do

ifdown -v eth0

and then

ifup -v eth0.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110507090416.GN13057@desktop">http://lists.debian.org/20110507090416.GN13057@desktop
 
Old 05-07-2011, 09:46 AM
AG
 
Default Loss of connectivity on recent testing updates

On 07/05/11 10:04, Brian wrote:

On Sat 07 May 2011 at 03:21:39 +0100, AG wrote:


After trying #dhclient eth0 there was no output, but I can now access
the Internet. When I rebooted the machine to double check, the Net was
inaccessible.

There is an implication here you are using a wired connection. Is that
correct?


Yes, that's right.

Is there someway that I can set this up so that this is automatically
configured at boot time?

There should be.


As an aside, this is a recent re-install and the network was configured
manually during that process, not through Network Manager.

This implies you are using ifupdown to manage the interfaces.

I'll have to take your word for that, but as below, the message is that
eth0 is not configured (!?)

Thanks for any advice on getting this set up to access the Net upon boot up.

As root, edit /etc/network/interfaces to have

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp


The file originally read: "iface eth0 inet *static*" (no quotes/
emphases, of course)



Save and do

ifdown -v eth0


The response I get to doing this is:

$ sudo ifdown -v eth0
ifdown: interface eth0 not configured



and then

ifup -v eth0.


To which, the response is:

~$ sudo ifup -v eth0
Configuring interface eth0=eth0 (inet)
run-parts --verbose /etc/network/if-pre-up.d
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/vlan
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/wpasupplicant

dhclient -v -pf /var/run/dhclient.eth0.pid -lf
/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.eth0.leases eth0

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client 4.1.1-P1
Copyright 2004-2010 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit https://www.isc.org/software/dhcp/

Listening on LPF/eth0/00:90:47:05:a3:07
Sending on LPF/eth0/00:90:47:05:a3:07
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
DHCPOFFER from 192.168.1.254
DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPACK from 192.168.1.254
bound to 192.168.1.64 -- renewal in 40816 seconds.
run-parts --verbose /etc/network/if-up.d
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/50firestarter
Stopping the Firestarter firewall....
Starting the Firestarter firewall....
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/avahi-daemon
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/ip
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/mountnfs
run-parts: executing /etc/network/if-up.d/wpasupplicant


However, following your advice, I am pleased to report back that upon
rebooting, at least I now have connectivity by default which is a major
advance and has resolved this issue then. Thank you very much, Brian.
Much appreciated!


Just as an aside: as all of this happened when I rebooted after an
uptime of 9 days, how could I determine which package change in updating
my system during this time borked the settings? This was a very nasty
surprise, but scouring the web I seem to have been the only one affected.


Cheers

AG



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4DC514DB.4020102@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC514DB.4020102@gmail.com
 
Old 05-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Brian
 
Default Loss of connectivity on recent testing updates

On Sat 07 May 2011 at 10:46:03 +0100, AG wrote:

> The file originally read: "iface eth0 inet *static*" (no quotes/
> emphases, of course)

In which case the complete stanza should have read:

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.x
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.254

with x specified by you.

> Just as an aside: as all of this happened when I rebooted after an
> uptime of 9 days, how could I determine which package change in updating
> my system during this time borked the settings? This was a very nasty
> surprise, but scouring the web I seem to have been the only one affected.

There may have been a configuration missetting rather thana package
failure.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20110507102450.GO13057@desktop">http://lists.debian.org/20110507102450.GO13057@desktop
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 08:15 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org