Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Chris Brennan

Default Some way to restrict what apt-get/aptitude installs

I've a headless server running Debian 6 and I am curious if there is a way to restrict what gets pulled in
Example #1 Gentoo: USE="-X" will*effectively*stop all X/X-related libs from being installed and the package manager there will fail, telling you why.

Example #2 FreeBSD: X="NO" (YES/NO/TRUE/FALSE valid*respectively) WITHOUT_X="YES" (YES/NO/TRUE/FALSE valid*respectively) for a similar result as Gentoo, FreeBSD will install some X libs silently when absolutely necessary and while*undesirable, this is acceptable.

Does something like this exist in Debian? I want to be able to install things or have someone else install things they are told to like the good monkey they are but I don't want the system to become bogged down with needless X/X-related*dependencies or for them to blindly install gnome for example ...

Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 AM
shawn wilson

On May 5, 2011 7:55 PM, "Chris Brennan" <xaero@xaerolimit.net> wrote:

> I've a headless server running Debian 6 and I am curious if there is a way to restrict what gets pulled in

> Example #1 Gentoo: USE="-X" will*effectively*stop all X/X-related libs from being installed and the package manager there will fail, telling you why.

> Example #2 FreeBSD: X="NO" (YES/NO/TRUE/FALSE valid*respectively) WITHOUT_X="YES" (YES/NO/TRUE/FALSE valid*respectively) for a similar result as Gentoo, FreeBSD will install some X libs silently when absolutely necessary and while*undesirable, this is acceptable.

> Does something like this exist in Debian? I want to be able to install things or have someone else install things they are told to like the good monkey they are but I don't want the system to become bogged down with needless X/X-related*dependencies or for them to blindly install gnome for example ...

Yeah, sorta. Not as nice as gentoo, bsd, or even slackware. However, look at apt.conf - it doesn't exist, you'll have to create it and tell it not to install suggested or recommended deps.

I've actually considered using a system with a more robust package management system for my dev box. As other packages require perl and some of the modules but when I do an upgrade it messes up the modules I've installed from cpan. I think you should be ok with deb for keeping most of x off your system ymmv.

Old 05-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Jo, 05 mai 11, 19:55:11, Chris Brennan wrote:
> I've a headless server running Debian 6 and I am curious if there is a way
> to restrict what gets pulled in

Not exactly what you are looking for, but look at apt pinning. The
apt_preferences(5) man page would be a good start.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 05-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Panayiotis Karabassis