Old 05-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Andrew Wood

Default Customising Debian install

Whats the best way to go about making a custom installation of Debian
which I can then install onto multiple machines without having to go
through and manually add extra packages and remove certain default
packges from each machine?

For certain things like removing OpenOffice and replacing it with
LibreOffice this approach works but is time consuming. For other
packages it just results in disaster, for example Ive tried removing
the empathy package and have inadvertently removed the entire OS.

How come the packages have dependencies like this, surely removing an IM
client shouldnt also trigger removal of everything else.

As an example, Id like to remove things like Iceweasal and Epiphany so
that theyre not installed by default but include our own custom Firefox .deb

Likewise Id like to do away with Empathy and Tomboy.

Surely theres a way to automate this and then build my own iso images so
i dont have to customise each PC after installation?

Thanks
Andrew

Archive: 4DC2DA8F.4020705@me.com">http://lists.debian.org/4DC2DA8F.4020705@me.com

Old 05-05-2011, 05:43 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <4DC2DA8F.4020705@me.com>, Andrew Wood wrote:
>Whats the best way to go about making a custom installation of Debian
>which I can then install onto multiple machines without having to go
>through and manually add extra packages and remove certain default
>packges from each machine?

1. D-I + Preseed
2. FAI
--