Old 02-10-2008, 10:45 PM
KS

Default Video card suggestion

Hi all,

I am planning on assembling an AMD based system. I noticed that most of
the motherboards that I am looking at (socket AM2 or AM2+) do not
onboard video card. That isn't a problem as I will put a dedicated video
card in there. But I'm a bit confused as to which brand to go for:
Nvidia or ATI.

I have had a 5700LE Nvidia card(AGP) and it has been working great with
it's proprietary drivers (and nv driver also). I got it almost 2years
ago. How has the graphics cards scene changed since then? Does ATI based
cards support 3D acceleration and are as easily recognized as Nvidia
cards? The ones that looked attractive (price wise) are:

ATI:
ASUS EAH2600XT/HTDP/256M Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI
Express x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121082

SAPPHIRE 100220L Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102708

MSI RX2600XT-T2D512EZ Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127298

as opposed to - Nvidia:
XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229

MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127284

XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150228

Thanks,
KS.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:53 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:45:31PM -0500, KS wrote:
> I am planning on assembling an AMD based system. I noticed that most of
> the motherboards that I am looking at (socket AM2 or AM2+) do not
> onboard video card. That isn't a problem as I will put a dedicated video
> card in there. But I'm a bit confused as to which brand to go for:
> Nvidia or ATI.

It depends (as always).

-- Do you want or need 3D, or have you been happy with the nv driver?

-- Do you have philisophical or security concerns around using nVIDIA's
kernel blob driver?

Check out the opendesktop website and follow the links and see where
things stand right now with ATI. My feeling is that if ATI is opening
up specs, we should support them once the ATI drivers come on line.
That website should let you know.

Doug.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Alan Ianson

On Sun February 10 2008 03:45:31 pm KS wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am planning on assembling an AMD based system. I noticed that most of
> the motherboards that I am looking at (socket AM2 or AM2+) do not
> onboard video card. That isn't a problem as I will put a dedicated video
> card in there. But I'm a bit confused as to which brand to go for:
> Nvidia or ATI.
>
> I have had a 5700LE Nvidia card(AGP) and it has been working great with
> it's proprietary drivers (and nv driver also). I got it almost 2years
> ago. How has the graphics cards scene changed since then? Does ATI based
> cards support 3D acceleration and are as easily recognized as Nvidia
> cards? The ones that looked attractive (price wise) are:
>
> ATI:
> ASUS EAH2600XT/HTDP/256M Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI
> Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121082
>
> SAPPHIRE 100220L Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102708
>
> MSI RX2600XT-T2D512EZ Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127298
>
> as opposed to - Nvidia:
> XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229
>
> MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express
> x16 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127284
>
> XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150228

I have always used an nvidia card myself, and they work well for me. I run a
5700LE also as well as a 6200 with 256mb. The drivers haven't been in testing
for quite a while so if you use testing you'll need to get the packages from
unstable. I find nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx works well.

I have been looking over the ati stuff lately though. They use the fglrx
package and soon they will also have the aiglx packages (don't know much
about these).

I think my next video card will be an ati (owned by amd now I think) and see
how it goes.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:05 AM
KS

Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2008 at 06:45:31PM -0500, KS wrote:
>> I am planning on assembling an AMD based system. I noticed that most of
>> the motherboards that I am looking at (socket AM2 or AM2+) do not
>> onboard video card. That isn't a problem as I will put a dedicated video
>> card in there. But I'm a bit confused as to which brand to go for:
>> Nvidia or ATI.
>
> It depends (as always).
>
> -- Do you want or need 3D, or have you been happy with the nv driver?
>
> -- Do you have philisophical or security concerns around using nVIDIA's
> kernel blob driver?
>
> Check out the opendesktop website and follow the links and see where
> things stand right now with ATI. My feeling is that if ATI is opening
> up specs, we should support them once the ATI drivers come on line.
> That website should let you know.
>
> Doug.

Yes, 3D is needed at times .... when I want to play games. Although that
isn't that often, but still.

But when I'm paying for the nVidia or ATI cards, I want their own
drivers to work and utilize all the features of the hardware. It is
another case that I am using nv instead of nVidia right now, but it is
easy to get it working again. How do ATI cards fare in that regards? Is
installing and removing ATI drivers ( proprietary ) as easy as nVidia's?
How different is the performance?

Oh, and how does nouveau fare for nVidia? Has anyone tested it yet?

KS.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Ron Johnson

On 02/10/08 17:45, KS wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am planning on assembling an AMD based system. I noticed that most of
> the motherboards that I am looking at (socket AM2 or AM2+) do not
> onboard video card. That isn't a problem as I will put a dedicated video
> card in there. But I'm a bit confused as to which brand to go for:
> Nvidia or ATI.
>
> I have had a 5700LE Nvidia card(AGP) and it has been working great with
> it's proprietary drivers (and nv driver also). I got it almost 2years
> ago. How has the graphics cards scene changed since then? Does ATI based
> cards support 3D acceleration and are as easily recognized as Nvidia
> cards?

They've opened their specs, but good 3D video drivers take time to
write. Maybe in two years I'll get an ATI card, but maybe then
again maybe I'll buy another NVIDIA, in recognition that they put
their money where their mouth was at a time when most h/w OEMs
wouldn't give FLOSS projects the time of day...

> The ones that looked attractive (price wise) are:
>
> ATI:
> ASUS EAH2600XT/HTDP/256M Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI
> Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121082
>
> SAPPHIRE 100220L Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102708
>
> MSI RX2600XT-T2D512EZ Radeon HD 2600XT 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127298
>

> as opposed to - Nvidia:
> XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150229
>
> MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127284
>
> XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150228

Unless you are doing *serious* 3D work, Linux just does *not* need
leading-edge video.

I purchased a fanless PCI-e ASUS EN7200GS card with 256MB (maybe
128MB) RAM from NewEgg, and am very happy with it.

- --
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals