Old 05-04-2011, 02:39 AM
John Magolske

Default CPU usage mysteriously spiking after kernel upgrade

After updating the kernel on my ThinkPad from linux-image-2.6.28-grml
to linux-image-2.6.31-grml I've noticed cpu usage periodically jumping
from 600MHz to 1500MHz several times a minute. This is with not much
going on but Vim, Mutt & ELinks running in a screen session in a
framebuffer console. Top shows nothing under the %CPU column...I don't
see anything pass much beyond 1%.

Any thoughts as to what could be causing this and/or suggested
techniques for determining the culprit would be much appreciated.

Regards,

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact

Old 05-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Arnt Karlsen

On Tue, 3 May 2011 19:39:37 -0700, John wrote in message
<20110504023936.GA19816@s70206.gridserver.com>:

> After updating the kernel on my ThinkPad from linux-image-2.6.28-grml
> to linux-image-2.6.31-grml I've noticed cpu usage periodically jumping
> from 600MHz to 1500MHz several times a minute. This is with not much
> going on but Vim, Mutt & ELinks running in a screen session in a
> framebuffer console. Top shows nothing under the %CPU column...I don't
> see anything pass much beyond 1%.
>
> Any thoughts as to what could be causing this and/or suggested
> techniques for determining the culprit would be much appreciated.

..try "apt-get update; apt-cache search linux-image " for better
and up-to-date ideas, such as e.g. celsius:~# uname -a
Linux celsius 2.6.39-rc5-amd64 #1 SMP Sat Apr 30 05:48:55 UTC 2011
x86_64 GNU/Linux

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 05-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Darac Marjal

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 07:39:37PM -0700, John Magolske wrote:
> After updating the kernel on my ThinkPad from linux-image-2.6.28-grml
> to linux-image-2.6.31-grml I've noticed cpu usage periodically jumping
> from 600MHz to 1500MHz several times a minute. This is with not much
> going on but Vim, Mutt & ELinks running in a screen session in a
> framebuffer console. Top shows nothing under the %CPU column...I don't
> see anything pass much beyond 1%.
>
> Any thoughts as to what could be causing this and/or suggested
> techniques for determining the culprit would be much appreciated.

Has your CPU governor changed, perhaps, to something more 'twitchy'?
Try:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

If this returns "ondemand", for example, the CPU will jump to a higher
frequency more readily than, say "conservative". To change it,
temporarily, echo one of the words in
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors to
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor and see whether
that helps.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Jörg-Volker Peetz

What kind of processor is built into your Thinkpad?
What is the output of lsmod?
Maybe the kernel module used for frequency scaling is not optimal.
--
Best regards,
Jörg-Volker.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:17 AM
John Magolske

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions!

> Has your CPU governor changed, perhaps, to something more 'twitchy'?
> Try:
> cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
>
> If this returns "ondemand", for example, the CPU will jump to a higher
> frequency more readily than, say "conservative". To change it,
> temporarily, echo one of the words in
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors to
> /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor and see whether
> that helps.

It was indeed set to ondemand. I changed this to conservative and the
twitchyness subsided:

# echo conservative > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

Using those keywords I searched and found:

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_make_use_of_Dynamic_Frequency_Scaling

Which suggests using the sysfsutils package & editing /etc/sysfs.conf
so that these settings are applied automatically on boot...I did that.

* Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> [110504 10:26]:
> ..try "apt-get update; apt-cache search linux-image " for better
> and up-to-date ideas

I'll look into trying out some of the other kernels as well. When I
have more free time I'd like to tweak & compile a custom kernel for
this machine.

* Jörg-Volker Peetz <jvpeetz@web.de> [110504 18:37]:
> What kind of processor is built into your Thinkpad?

% cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 13
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.50GHz
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 600.000
cache size : 2048 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe up bts est tm2
bogomips : 1196.05
clflush size : 64
power management:

> What is the output of lsmod?
> Maybe the kernel module used for frequency scaling is not optimal.

% lsmod
Module Size Used by
ipw2200 130752 0
michael_mic 2256 8
arc4 1656 4
lib80211_crypt_tkip 8376 2
aes_i586 8024 1
aes_generic 27012 1 aes_i586
lib80211_crypt_ccmp 5000 1
af_packet 18932 4
usb_storage 32536 0
usb_libusual 19680 1 usb_storage
usbhid 33988 0
i915 199800 2
drm 137224 2 i915
i2c_algo_bit 5124 1 i915
acpi_cpufreq 8136 0
cpufreq_ondemand 6624 0
cpufreq_userspace 2816 0
cpufreq_conservative 6920 1
cpufreq_stats 4624 0
cpufreq_powersave 1328 0
freq_table 3424 3 acpi_cpufreq,cpufreq_ondemand,cpufreq_stats
sbs 11912 0
sbshc 5048 1 sbs
pci_slot 4612 0
container 3468 0
twofish 6848 1
twofish_common 12856 1 twofish
ecb 2676 5
ecryptfs 87628 0
fuse 56816 1
ipv6 253624 16
pcmcia 34108 0
snd_intel8x0m 13164 0
snd_seq_dummy 2572 0
thinkpad_acpi 60212 0
hwmon 2464 1 thinkpad_acpi
ac 4252 0
libipw 24572 1 ipw2200
yenta_socket 22708 1
rsrc_nonstatic 10688 1 yenta_socket
rfkill 17468 1 thinkpad_acpi
lib80211 5428 4 ipw2200,lib80211_crypt_tkip,lib80211_crypt_ccmp,li bipw
pcmcia_core 31480 3 pcmcia,yenta_socket,rsrc_nonstatic
nvram 6340 1 thinkpad_acpi
video 20252 1 i915
output 2668 1 video
battery 10912 0
evdev 9032 0
snd_intel8x0 28120 1
snd_ac97_codec 99912 2 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus 1476 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss 35736 0
snd_mixer_oss 15004 1 snd_pcm_oss
processor 36332 2 acpi_cpufreq
snd_seq_oss 26496 0
snd_seq_midi 6216 0
nsc_ircc 18672 0
snd_rawmidi 19172 1 snd_seq_midi
rtc_cmos 10260 0
snd_pcm 65536 5 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_ oss
snd_seq_midi_event 6236 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
irda 165560 1 nsc_ircc
button 5596 0
rtc_core 15764 1 rtc_cmos
rtc_lib 2340 1 rtc_core
crc_ccitt 1660 1 irda
snd_seq 46676 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
snd_timer 18516 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 6284 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
shpchp 29480 0
pci_hotplug 25160 1 shpchp
snd 51460 12 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_ oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm, snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
i2c_i801 8860 0
i2c_core 19204 4 i915,drm,i2c_algo_bit,i2c_i801
soundcore 6104 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 8020 3 snd_intel8x0m,snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
intel_agp 25432 1
raid456 48144 0
raid6_pq 80144 1 raid456
async_xor 2744 1 raid456
async_memcpy 1740 1 raid456
async_tx 2860 3 raid456,async_xor,async_memcpy
xor 15792 2 raid456,async_xor
mmc_block 9880 0
sdhci_pci 7188 0
sdhci 15628 1 sdhci_pci
ehci_hcd 32168 0
uhci_hcd 20356 0
mmc_core 47852 2 mmc_block,sdhci
led_class 3804 2 thinkpad_acpi,sdhci
e1000 109796 0
usbcore 134692 6 usb_storage,usb_libusual,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd
thermal 13892 0
fan 4424 0
squashfs 21204 0

Regards,

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact

Old 05-05-2011, 04:25 PM

From: John Magolske <listmail@b79.net>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 20:17:56 -0700
> Which suggests using the sysfsutils package & editing /etc/sysfs.conf
> so that these settings are applied automatically on boot...I did that.

Any idea why this setting is in /etc/sysfs.conf rather than /etc/sysctl.conf?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 450 2132. bcc: peasthope at shaw.ca