Old 05-04-2011, 02:06 AM
Perry Thompson

Default Remove unused language from GDM?

Hi there. I use en-US and zh-TW (Chinese Taiwan) as locales on my
computer, and recently tried to do something with my fonts and replaced
my fonts.dtd file with another and tried logging in. The result was the
locale or fonts were incorrect and I was given "Unspecified
[ANSI-X3.4-1968]" as a choice in my languages bar.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/Rypervenche/GNULinux/xephyr.jpg

I replaced my fonts.dtd with the original file, however this option in
my language choice has not gone away. I would like to know how I can
refresh this list of languages or, if I must, manually delete the old
locale choice.

I have looked all over the place and haven't found anything relevant,
aside from this...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/Rypervenche/GNULinux/CE.jpg

I'd appreciate any and all help on this subject. Thank you.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 03 May 2011 22:06:00 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:

> Hi there. I use en-US and zh-TW (Chinese Taiwan) as locales on my
> computer, and recently tried to do something with my fonts and replaced
> my fonts.dtd file with another and tried logging in. The result was the
> locale or fonts were incorrect and I was given "Unspecified
> [ANSI-X3.4-1968]" as a choice in my languages bar.

(...)

Is the locale only present in GDM greeter or in the whole system? I mean,
what does "locale -a" show?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Perry Thompson

On 05/04/2011 08:08 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 03 May 2011 22:06:00 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:
>
>> Hi there. I use en-US and zh-TW (Chinese Taiwan) as locales on my
>> computer, and recently tried to do something with my fonts and replaced
>> my fonts.dtd file with another and tried logging in. The result was the
>> locale or fonts were incorrect and I was given "Unspecified
>> [ANSI-X3.4-1968]" as a choice in my languages bar.
>
> (...)
>
> Is the locale only present in GDM greeter or in the whole system? I mean,
> what does "locale -a" show?
>
> Greetings,

rypervenche@debian:~$ locale -a
en_US.utf8
POSIX
zh_TW.utf8

This is the norm apparently. I checked it on all other computers and
friends' computers. So apparently the locale is there, but I just don't
want the ANSI choice there anymore.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 May 2011 14:33:27 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:

> On 05/04/2011 08:08 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Is the locale only present in GDM greeter or in the whole system? I
>> mean, what does "locale -a" show?
>>
>> Greetings,
>>

> rypervenche@debian:~$ locale -a
> en_US.utf8
> POSIX
> zh_TW.utf8

That looks right. So it seems that is only GDM3 which exposes the
"additional" locale :-?

> This is the norm apparently. I checked it on all other computers and
> friends' computers. So apparently the locale is there, but I just don't
> want the ANSI choice there anymore.

How about your "/etc/default/locale" and "~/.dmrc" files? Also, check if
another user is affected by this.

As a last resort, you can make a full search for that locale's name over
all of the system files (just in case):

grep -H "ANSI_X3" /*

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-04-2011, 08:28 PM
Perry Thompson

On 05/04/2011 02:56 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 04 May 2011 14:33:27 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:
>
>> On 05/04/2011 08:08 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>
>>> Is the locale only present in GDM greeter or in the whole system? I
>>> mean, what does "locale -a" show?
>>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>

>> rypervenche@debian:~$ locale -a
>> en_US.utf8
>> POSIX
>> zh_TW.utf8
>
> That looks right. So it seems that is only GDM3 which exposes the
> "additional" locale :-?
>
>> This is the norm apparently. I checked it on all other computers and
>> friends' computers. So apparently the locale is there, but I just don't
>> want the ANSI choice there anymore.
>
> How about your "/etc/default/locale" and "~/.dmrc" files? Also, check if
> another user is affected by this.
>
> As a last resort, you can make a full search for that locale's name over
> all of the system files (just in case):
>
> grep -H "ANSI_X3" /*
>
> Greetings,

I tried it using a different user, same result.

rypervenche@debian:~$ cat /etc/default/locale
# File generated by update-locale
#LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
rypervenche@debian:~$ cat .dmrc

[Desktop]
Language=en_US.utf8
Layout=us
Session=default

I have searched for the ANSI name in /etc and a few other folders, such
as /var and /usr, but doing the entire system was taking too long and I
was unable to do a complete search. I will try it again when I have a
large amount of time that I can set to the task.

Any other ideas?

Old 05-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 May 2011 16:28:15 -0400, Perry Thompson wrote:

> On 05/04/2011 02:56 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> How about your "/etc/default/locale" and "~/.dmrc" files? Also, check
>> if another user is affected by this.
>>
>> As a last resort, you can make a full search for that locale's name
>> over all of the system files (just in case):
>>
>> grep -H "ANSI_X3" /*
>>

> I tried it using a different user, same result.

Then it has to be some global file/setting the one making noise.

> rypervenche@debian:~$ cat /etc/default/locale
> # File generated by update-locale
> #LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

Is that comment (#) right? Mine is not :-?

sm01@stt008:~$ cat /etc/default/locale
LANG="es_ES.UTF-8"

> rypervenche@debian:~$ cat .dmrc
>
> [Desktop]
> Language=en_US.utf8
> Layout=us
> Session=default

Here's mine:

sm01@stt008:~$ cat .dmrc

[Desktop]
Session=default

(I only have one locale configured, though, "es_ES.UTF-8")

> I have searched for the ANSI name in /etc and a few other folders, such
> as /var and /usr, but doing the entire system was taking too long and I
> was unable to do a complete search. I will try it again when I have a
> large amount of time that I can set to the task.
>
> Any other ideas?

Not really :-(

Maybe you can try to re-run "dpkg-reconfigure locales" and see how that
goes. Also, when you have the time, search for the "offending" locale
string in the whole system. If it's displayed under the GDM 3 greeter it
has to be set somewhere...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón