Old 05-03-2011, 01:29 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Default Knoppix and debian

Hi all,

just a simple question: I discovered the hardware recognition on the KNOPPIX-
DVD is very good.

Is this a personal development by Klaus Knopper? Is it also used by debian?
And if not, why not?

Greetings

Hans

Old 05-03-2011, 02:07 PM
Alex Mestiashvili

just a simple question: I discovered the hardware recognition on the KNOPPIX-
DVD is very good.

Is this a personal development by Klaus Knopper? Is it also used by debian?
And if not, why not?

Greetings

Hans

run from time to time
update-pciids

I think that the difference is only that knoppix , grml and other live
cds use more recent software from unstable .

Regards ,
Alex

Archive: 4DC00C07.7080602@biotec.tu-dresden.de">http://lists.debian.org/4DC00C07.7080602@biotec.tu-dresden.de

Old 05-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 03 May 2011 15:07:03 Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> On 05/03/2011 03:29 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> > just a simple question: I discovered the hardware recognition on the
> > KNOPPIX- DVD is very good.
> >
> > Is this a personal development by Klaus Knopper? Is it also used by
> > debian? And if not, why not?
>
> I think that the difference is only that knoppix , grml and other live
> cds use more recent software from unstable .

No, I disagree. As Hans-J says, I have always found that Knoppix is
exceptionally good at hardware recognition.

But sorry, Hans-J. I don't know the reason!

Lisi

Old 05-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 03 May 2011 15:45:36 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 May 2011 15:07:03 Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
>> On 05/03/2011 03:29 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
>> > just a simple question: I discovered the hardware recognition on the
>> > KNOPPIX- DVD is very good.
>> >
>> > Is this a personal development by Klaus Knopper? Is it also used by
>> > debian? And if not, why not?
>>
>> I think that the difference is only that knoppix , grml and other live
>> cds use more recent software from unstable .
>
> No, I disagree. As Hans-J says, I have always found that Knoppix is
> exceptionally good at hardware recognition.

(...)

Well, featuring a good hardware recognition is closely related to use the
most recent versions of the kernel and firmwares so Alex statement makes
a lot of sense ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Alex Mestiashvili wrote:

run from time to time
update-pciids

Is that something to do in old stable as well?

I just checked cron jobs and nothing is there to do this.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Archive: 4DC01963.5050300@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4DC01963.5050300@affinityvision.com.au

Old 05-03-2011, 03:09 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Dienstag, 3. Mai 2011 schrieb Camaleón:
> On Tue, 03 May 2011 15:45:36 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> >> I think that the difference is only that knoppix , grml and other live
> >> cds use more recent software from unstable .
> >
> > No, I disagree. As Hans-J says, I have always found that Knoppix is
> > exceptionally good at hardware recognition.
>
> (...)
>
> Well, featuring a good hardware recognition is closely related to use the
> most recent versions of the kernel and firmwares so Alex statement makes
> a lot of sense ;-)
>
> Greetings,

Hmm,

but as far as I know, Knoppix is based on debian/stable!

Hans

Old 05-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Joe

On Tue, 3 May 2011 15:29:20 +0200
"Hans-J. Ullrich" <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> just a simple question: I discovered the hardware recognition on the
> KNOPPIX- DVD is very good.
>
> Is this a personal development by Klaus Knopper? Is it also used by
> debian? And if not, why not?

I would assume there is some good reason involving licences. But Knoppix
is available to anyone, and I would expect other Debian users will do
what I do, and run Knoppix (and Ubuntu) on problematic hardware, to see
what is necessary for it to work with standard Debian.

Both distributions are very useful troubleshooting tools, because they
are so close to Debian (it's not much help to know that a bit of
'difficult' hardware works with Windows), and I have kept one of the
last CD versions of Knoppix for use on older machines which do not have
a DVD drive. While it isn't explicitly a 'rescue' distribution, it does
have most, if not all, of the necessary tools.

Knoppix can be installed to a hard drive, but that is not recommended,
and I can confirm it is unmaintainable. You throw it away and install
the next version. Some people claim this is also necessary with Ubuntu.

--
Joe

Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 03 May 2011 15:58:31 Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 03 May 2011 15:45:36 +0100, Lisi wrote:

> >> I think that the difference is only that knoppix , grml and other live
> >> cds use more recent software from unstable .
> >
> > No, I disagree. As Hans-J says, I have always found that Knoppix is
> > exceptionally good at hardware recognition.
>
> (...)
>
> Well, featuring a good hardware recognition is closely related to use the
> most recent versions of the kernel and firmwares so Alex statement makes
> a lot of sense ;-)

And the reason that I have found Ubuntu less good on hardware recognition
is...? It prides itself on being up to date.

Lisi

Old 05-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Chen Wei

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 03:29:20PM +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> just a simple question: I discovered the hardware recognition on the KNOPPIX-
> DVD is very good.
>
> Is this a personal development by Klaus Knopper? Is it also used by debian?
> And if not, why not?
Do you mean KNOPPIX discovers more hardware than debian, or KNOPPIX shows
the hardware recognition process in a more user friendly way?

--
Chen Wei

Old 05-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 03 May 2011 17:09:09 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 3. Mai 2011 schrieb Camaleón:

>> > No, I disagree. As Hans-J says, I have always found that Knoppix is
>> > exceptionally good at hardware recognition.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Well, featuring a good hardware recognition is closely related to use
>> the most recent versions of the kernel and firmwares so Alex statement
>> makes a lot of sense ;-)
>>

> Hmm,
>
> but as far as I know, Knoppix is based on debian/stable!

Squeeze has kernel 2.6.32 and Knoppix 2.6.36/2.6.37¹ so that's a
difference.

¹ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/knoppix/packages.txt

Greetings,

--
Camaleón