Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Default KDE does not start any more

Dear list,

since my last upgrade KDE4 is starting any more.
As I am starting KDE from KDM, KDE is starting, then the splash screen
appears. After the third icon of the splash screen appears for millisecond,
KDE is crashing, X is resetting and KDM is restarted.

Any other WM like LXDE, FVWM, XFCE and so on are working fine.

Where can I look? Which are the logfiles, where I should look? /var/log/syslog,
/var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/kdm.log did not help much.

I also created a new user, to get a fresh ~/.kde, and I also tried another
graphics driver (nv instead of nvidia).

My system is debian/testing, kernel 2.6.38-2-686 and the proprietrary nvidia
driver (version 173xx-dkms).

Any ideas, how to have a clearer look, what is happening at start of KDE?

Thanks for the help!

Best regards

Hans

Old 05-03-2011, 03:05 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 03 May 2011 14:35:45 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

(...)

> Where can I look? Which are the logfiles, where I should look?
> /var/log/syslog, /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/kdm.log did not help
> much.

Look at your "~/.xession-errors" file, maybe something fell in there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-03-2011, 03:29 PM
Arno Schuring

Hans-J. Ullrich (hans.ullrich@loop.de on 2011-05-03 14:35 +0200):
> Dear list,
>
> since my last upgrade KDE4 is starting any more.
> As I am starting KDE from KDM, KDE is starting, then the splash
> screen appears. After the third icon of the splash screen appears for
> millisecond, KDE is crashing, X is resetting and KDM is restarted.
>
> Any other WM like LXDE, FVWM, XFCE and so on are working fine.
>
> Where can I look? Which are the logfiles, where I should
> look? /var/log/syslog, /var/log/Xorg.0.log and /var/log/kdm.log did
> not help much.
[..]

> Any ideas, how to have a clearer look, what is happening at start of
> KDE?
I'm not familiar with KDE, but you should be able to find details about
user sessions (i.e. anything after succesful login) in
~/.xsession-errors.

Regards,
Arno

Old 05-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Brad Alexander

Though you did not state which release, it appears to be something similar to my problems on my sid laptop. Please see the thread at http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user.kde/25539.

In my testing, I figure it is either KDE, QT, the kernel, or the nvidia driver. I do not think it is KDE, since I originally upgraded to 4.6.2, but had the same issue in 4.4.5 after rebuilding and upgrading to sid. I am leaning toward the new nvidia drivers (260.19.44). Have a look at the thread above and see if it looks like your situation.

--b

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/201105031435.46212.hans.ullrich@loop.de

Old 05-04-2011, 12:54 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Hi Camaleon,

--
> Camaleón

Your hint was absolutely correct! I could find out, that the reason is caused
by the nvidia-glx-173xx-package.

See here:

Could not open library ksmserver: Cannot load library
/usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_ksmserver.so: (/usr/lib/libGL.so.1:
undefined symbol: _nv000131gl)
ksmserver: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: undefined symbol:
_nv000131gl
startkde: Shutting down...
klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
startkde: Done.
bluedevil-monolithic: Fatal IO error: client killed

Now I know the reason, but I cannot fix it!

1. This old package cannot be downgraded due to dependencies.

2. The version before the actual (nvidia-)package cannot be built with kernel
2.6.38.

So I have no chance, to get it running at the moment, but to buy a newer
graphics card.

I filed no bugreport, as it seems, I am the only user, to use such an old
graphics card (NVidia 5700 Ultra) with 3d-accelerated and propritrary driver.

Thank you very much for the pointing. Hopefully, kernel 2.6.39 will fix this.

Best regards and again, thanks for the help!

Hans

Old 05-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 May 2011 14:54:24 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

>> Look at your "~/.xession-errors" file, maybe something fell in there.
>
> Your hint was absolutely correct! I could find out, that the reason is
> caused by the nvidia-glx-173xx-package.
>
> See here:
>
> Could not open library ksmserver: Cannot load library
> /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_ksmserver.so: (/usr/lib/libGL.so.1:
> undefined symbol: _nv000131gl)
> ksmserver: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: undefined symbol:
> _nv000131gl
> startkde: Shutting down...
> klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
> startkde: Running shutdown scripts... startkde: Done.
> bluedevil-monolithic: Fatal IO error: client killed

Hum... look, there was a bug for that (so you're not alone :-) ):

libGL.so.1: undefined symbol: KDE not start

> Now I know the reason, but I cannot fix it!

(...)

Review the bug entries, maybe you can find something that helps to solve
your problem :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-04-2011, 01:59 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

Am Mittwoch, 4. Mai 2011 schrieb Camaleón:
> On Wed, 04 May 2011 14:54:24 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> >> Look at your "~/.xession-errors" file, maybe something fell in there.
> >
> > Your hint was absolutely correct! I could find out, that the reason is
> > caused by the nvidia-glx-173xx-package.
> >
> > See here:
> >
> > Could not open library ksmserver: Cannot load library
> > /usr/lib/kde4/libkdeinit/libkdeinit4_ksmserver.so: (/usr/lib/libGL.so.1:
> > undefined symbol: _nv000131gl)
> > ksmserver: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: undefined symbol:
> > _nv000131gl
> > startkde: Shutting down...
> > klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
> > startkde: Running shutdown scripts... startkde: Done.
> > bluedevil-monolithic: Fatal IO error: client killed
>
> Hum... look, there was a bug for that (so you're not alone :-) ):
>
> libGL.so.1: undefined symbol: KDE not start
>
> > Now I know the reason, but I cannot fix it!
>
> (...)
>
> Review the bug entries, maybe you can find something that helps to solve
> your problem :-?
>
> Greetings,

Nope, I did the same as Andreas did in BUG596037, with no success.
I suppose, the bug is because an old package in a new (modern) environment.

I do not know, if debian fixes drivers for such old hardware (and it is
testing, as in stable it is still running). Of course it is a bug, but it
seems, I am the only one with this special constellation (debian/testing +
NVidia-propr-3D-driver + kernel-2.6.38).

We will see, if there is someone else outside, who have got the same problem.

Best regards

Hans

Old 05-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 May 2011 15:59:59 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 4. Mai 2011 schrieb Camaleón:

>> Review the bug entries, maybe you can find something that helps to
>> solve your problem :-?
>>

> Nope, I did the same as Andreas did in BUG596037, with no success. I
> suppose, the bug is because an old package in a new (modern)
> environment.

The user seemed to solve the problem by unistalling+purging+reinstalling
the nvidia driver, no more no less :-)

> I do not know, if debian fixes drivers for such old hardware (and it is
> testing, as in stable it is still running). Of course it is a bug, but
> it seems, I am the only one with this special constellation
> (debian/testing + NVidia-propr-3D-driver + kernel-2.6.38).
>
> We will see, if there is someone else outside, who have got the same
> problem.

More than a bug I'd say it sounds like a configuration issue with some
files. And remember that you can also install the nvidia driver in the
"hard way" (by downloading from nvidia site and compiling by yourself).
In this case, note that you have to use the latest available version of
the driver that provides support for you card model (I think is
"173.14.30" :-?).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 PM
"Hans-J. Ullrich"

> More than a bug I'd say it sounds like a configuration issue with some
> files. And remember that you can also install the nvidia driver in the
> "hard way" (by downloading from nvidia site and compiling by yourself).
> In this case, note that you have to use the latest available version of
> the driver that provides support for you card model (I think is
> "173.14.30" :-?).
>
> Greetings,

Yes, and this is exactly the problem. I need 173.14.27 (which does not build
with 2.6.38), as *.*.30 causes the bug.

On the other hand, yes, maybe it would solve MY problem, but not the problem
itself. I suppose this will be the preferred way, although I prefer the debian
(=use of packages) way.

We will see, what happens.

Cheers

Hans

Old 05-04-2011, 11:48 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Wed, 4 May 2011 18:41:44 +0200, Hans-J. wrote in message
<201105041841.44665.hans.ullrich@loop.de>:

> > More than a bug I'd say it sounds like a configuration issue with
> > some files. And remember that you can also install the nvidia
> > driver in the "hard way" (by downloading from nvidia site and
> > compiling by yourself). In this case, note that you have to use the
> > latest available version of the driver that provides support for
> > you card model (I think is "173.14.30" :-?).
> >
> > Greetings,
>
> Yes, and this is exactly the problem. I need 173.14.27 (which does
> not build with 2.6.38), as *.*.30 causes the bug.
>
> On the other hand, yes, maybe it would solve MY problem, but not the
> problem itself. I suppose this will be the preferred way, although I
> prefer the debian (=use of packages) way.
>
> We will see, what happens.
>
> Cheers
>
> Hans

..meanwhile, try the nouveau driver, it's being developed by
X.org and _may_ work for you.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: