FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-03-2011, 07:19 AM
consul tores
 
Default multiboot grub2

Hello

i have a Laptop with Squeeze, OpenBSD-amd64-4.9, and
Slackware64-13.37: and it is using grub2 as bootloader, (if i use
lilo, it works correctly, but i want to evade bios check) grub2 can
not recognize OpenBSD (what is not a problem), and it recognize
Slackware, but can not start it. it only gets a simple panic. i have
tested the Slackware installer dvd (kernel), successfully.
Looking/playing inside /etc/grub.d, do not do any change! Slackware
lilo is installed at sector 0 of Slackware partition.

Could somebody tell me where could i see, please? or what could i do?

--
* * * * ** Consultores Agropecuarios.
Administracion, Produccion, Capacitacion.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTimFa_q9jrOzaYwWadmy35T=OkVJZw@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTimFa_q9jrOzaYwWadmy35T=OkVJZw@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-03-2011, 11:38 AM
Camalen
 
Default multiboot grub2

On Tue, 03 May 2011 00:19:20 -0700, consul tores wrote:

> i have a Laptop with Squeeze, OpenBSD-amd64-4.9, and Slackware64-13.37:
> and it is using grub2 as bootloader, (if i use lilo, it works correctly,
> but i want to evade bios check) grub2 can not recognize OpenBSD (what is
> not a problem), and it recognize Slackware, but can not start it. it
> only gets a simple panic. i have tested the Slackware installer dvd
> (kernel), successfully. Looking/playing inside /etc/grub.d, do not do
> any change! Slackware lilo is installed at sector 0 of Slackware
> partition.

What's the exact error?

> Could somebody tell me where could i see, please? or what could i do?

Are you chainloading LiLO from GRUB2 or are you directly booting
Slackware from GRUB2 (and thus bypassing LiLO)? Whatever it be, test with
the opposite.

Greetings,

--
Camalen


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2011.05.03.11.38.46@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2011.05.03.11.38.46@gmail.com
 
Old 05-03-2011, 02:26 PM
wolf python london
 
Default multiboot grub2

On 3 May 2011 15:19, consul tores <consultores1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> i have a Laptop with Squeeze, OpenBSD-amd64-4.9, and
> Slackware64-13.37: and it is using grub2 as bootloader, (if i use
> lilo, it works correctly, but i want to evade bios check) grub2 can
> not recognize OpenBSD (what is not a problem), and it recognize
> Slackware, but can not start it. it only gets a simple panic. i have
> tested the Slackware installer dvd (kernel), successfully.
> Looking/playing inside /etc/grub.d, do not do any change! Slackware
> lilo is installed at sector 0 of Slackware partition.
>
Er , as far as my know , we usually chainload the BSD Unix . I'm using
FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 in
my desktop and Squeeze , Mandriva 2010.2 , and the bootloader is
grub2 shipped with Squeeze.
the problems are:
1) os-probe cannot probe Mandriva **corrently **, which means it does
probe Mandriva (kernel panic),but not correctly .
(here there is bug report and the patch
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=566102).
Maybe it applys to Slackware?
2) I use chainload to boot the FreeBSD , and os-probe cannot probe
FreeBSD ,either.

> Could somebody tell me where could i see, please? or what could i do?
>
> --
> * * * * ** Consultores Agropecuarios.
> Administracion, Produccion, Capacitacion.
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTimFa_q9jrOzaYwWadmy35TOkVJZw@mail.gmail.com
>
>



--
________________________
wolf python london(WPL)
Do as you soul should do !
________________________


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTinT6kNsx3nFyVW3xgpwCh9njTQMOg@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTinT6kNsx3nFyVW3xgpwCh9njTQMOg@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-04-2011, 02:33 AM
consul tores
 
Default multiboot grub2

2011/5/3 wolf python london <lyh19901223@gmail.com>:
> On 3 May 2011 15:19, consul tores <consultores1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> i have a Laptop with Squeeze, OpenBSD-amd64-4.9, and
>> Slackware64-13.37: and it is using grub2 as bootloader, (if i use
>> lilo, it works correctly, but i want to evade bios check) grub2 can
>> not recognize OpenBSD (what is not a problem), and it recognize
>> Slackware, but can not start it. it only gets a simple panic. i have
>> tested the Slackware installer dvd (kernel), successfully.
>> Looking/playing inside /etc/grub.d, do not do any change! Slackware
>> lilo is installed at sector 0 of Slackware partition.
>>
> Er , as far as my know , we usually chainload the BSD Unix . I'm using
> FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 in
> my desktop and Squeeze , Mandriva 2010.2 , *and the bootloader is
> grub2 shipped with *Squeeze.
> the problems are:
> 1) os-probe cannot probe Mandriva **corrently **, which means it does
> probe Mandriva (kernel panic),but not correctly .
> *(here there is bug report and the patch
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=566102).
> Maybe it applys to Slackware?
> 2) I use chainload to boot the FreeBSD , and os-probe cannot probe
> FreeBSD ,either.
>
> ________________________
> wolf python london(WPL)
> Do as you soul should do !
> ________________________
>

Thanks Wolf, for now, it is not working; i replace the file, adding
the patch, but grub2 is resisting yet.

--
* * * * ** Consultores Agropecuarios.
Administracion, Produccion, Capacitacion.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTi=0=j3h8k1KJihVwm9K7ToDY5UyBw@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTi=0=j3h8k1KJihVwm9K7ToDY5UyBw@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-04-2011, 04:52 AM
wolf python london
 
Default multiboot grub2

On 4 May 2011 10:33, consul tores <consultores1@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/5/3 wolf python london <lyh19901223@gmail.com>:
>> On 3 May 2011 15:19, consul tores <consultores1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> i have a Laptop with Squeeze, OpenBSD-amd64-4.9, and
>>> Slackware64-13.37: and it is using grub2 as bootloader, (if i use
>>> lilo, it works correctly, but i want to evade bios check) grub2 can
>>> not recognize OpenBSD (what is not a problem), and it recognize
>>> Slackware, but can not start it. it only gets a simple panic. i have
>>> tested the Slackware installer dvd (kernel), successfully.
>>> Looking/playing inside /etc/grub.d, do not do any change! Slackware
>>> lilo is installed at sector 0 of Slackware partition.
>>>
>> Er , as far as my know , we usually chainload the BSD Unix . I'm using
>> FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 in
>> my desktop and Squeeze , Mandriva 2010.2 , *and the bootloader is
>> grub2 shipped with *Squeeze.
>> the problems are:
>> 1) os-probe cannot probe Mandriva **corrently **, which means it does
>> probe Mandriva (kernel panic),but not correctly .
>> *(here there is bug report and the patch
>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=566102).
>> Maybe it applys to Slackware?
>> 2) I use chainload to boot the FreeBSD , and os-probe cannot probe
>> FreeBSD ,either.
>>
>> ________________________
>> wolf python london(WPL)
>> Do as you soul should do !
>> ________________________
>>
>
> Thanks Wolf, for now, it is not working; i replace the file, adding
> the patch, but grub2 is resisting yet.
>

can you try the chainload ?
Finally I chainloade Mandriva and FreeBSD, it works fine .

edit the file /etc/grub.d/40_custom , this is my
configuration(https://gist.github.com/954772) :

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.

menuentry "Mandriva 2010 2 ChainLoader" {
set root=(hd0,12)
chainloader +1
}

menuentry "FreeBSD8.2 Chainloader" {
insmod ufs2
set root=(hd0,3)
chainloader +1
}



> * * * * ** Consultores Agropecuarios.
> Administracion, Produccion, Capacitacion.
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTi0j3h8k1KJihVwm9K7ToDY5UyBw@mail.gmail.com
>
>



--
________________________
wolf python london(WPL)
Do as you soul should do !
________________________


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTimgcR_+42twfnm7+g_LEcbnznyFKA@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTimgcR_+42twfnm7+g_LEcbnznyFKA@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Tom H
 
Default multiboot grub2

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 3:19 AM, consul tores <consultores1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> i have a Laptop with Squeeze, OpenBSD-amd64-4.9, and
> Slackware64-13.37: and it is using grub2 as bootloader, (if i use
> lilo, it works correctly, but i want to evade bios check) grub2 can
> not recognize OpenBSD (what is not a problem), and it recognize
> Slackware, but can not start it. it only gets a simple panic. i have
> tested the Slackware installer dvd (kernel), successfully.
> Looking/playing inside /etc/grub.d, do not do any change! Slackware
> lilo is installed at sector 0 of Slackware partition.

You'll have to post more details about your disk layout(s) to get more help.

FYI, os-prober cannot recognize any BSD (other than OS X!) but you can
create an OpenBSD stanza through "/etc/grub.d/40_custom".


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTinTw-vaVQc3+PMekWsrsPA8_H1cjQ@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTinTw-vaVQc3+PMekWsrsPA8_H1cjQ@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Tom H
 
Default multiboot grub2

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:26 AM, wolf python london
<lyh19901223@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3 May 2011 15:19, consul tores <consultores1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> i have a Laptop with Squeeze, OpenBSD-amd64-4.9, and
>> Slackware64-13.37: and it is using grub2 as bootloader, (if i use
>> lilo, it works correctly, but i want to evade bios check) grub2 can
>> not recognize OpenBSD (what is not a problem), and it recognize
>> Slackware, but can not start it. it only gets a simple panic. i have
>> tested the Slackware installer dvd (kernel), successfully.
>> Looking/playing inside /etc/grub.d, do not do any change! Slackware
>> lilo is installed at sector 0 of Slackware partition.
>
> Er , as far as my know , we usually chainload the BSD Unix . I'm using
> FreeBSD 8.2 amd64 in
> my desktop and Squeeze , Mandriva 2010.2 , *and the bootloader is
> grub2 shipped with *Squeeze.
> the problems are:
>
> 1) os-probe cannot probe Mandriva **corrently **, which means it does
> probe Mandriva (kernel panic),but not correctly .
> *(here there is bug report and the patch
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=566102).
> Maybe it applys to Slackware?
>
> 2) I use chainload to boot the FreeBSD , and os-probe cannot probe
> FreeBSD ,either.

Re (1): I remember from helping someone with Mandriva and grub2 that
the problem is that Mandriva prepends its kernel and initrd stanzas
with (hdX,Y). Somehow (I've never looked at the scripts *that*
carefully), os-prober picks these up and, since the partition
numbering has changed between grub1 and grub2, the Mandriva stanza
fails.

Re (2): You can chainload but you can also load BSD kernels directly.
You just have to use 40_custom.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: BANLkTinXxkZPa4LuxcQqe0=hxnOYd+woRw@mail.gmail.com ">http://lists.debian.org/BANLkTinXxkZPa4LuxcQqe0=hxnOYd+woRw@mail.gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org